Pointers for Giving Karma

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by SaberJ2X, Dec 24, 2003.

1. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

• Give good karma for genuinely good posts; Posts that contribute to the thread in a positive way.
    • Give bad karma to spammers, trolls, and people that critic without contribuing.
    • Don't just give good karma to your friends.
    • Not agreeing with someone's post is not a good reason for giving karma.
      Example
      Zanza: I like red
      poom poom: I don't like red *Gives bad karma for having bad taste*

6 people like this.
  2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

hehe I luv you too Saber, but we all have to wait and give karma to 19 other people before giving it to the same person again. as well, we have a cap on how much karma we give within 24 hours. I'm happy there are these rules karma already has set in place. I implore members to, when giving karma, especially negative, to leave a comment. If you are not happy with a post, state why. Like 'discriminatory' or 'think please before typing' or 'quit spamming or trolling' just so members know what they need to work on or why they are being warned through karma.

Ser

3. cosmos

cosmos New Member

This karma thing just simply cant work. For precisely the reasons you pointed out. Put responsibility in the hands of the many and watch the disaster unfold.

2 people like this.
  4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

i really don't think is gonna be a disaster...
    as ser said... the karma system has some limits...
    plus. I know i'm good and i think the karma system works

5. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Since we have it anyway, we might as well use it (properly). Saber has a good point, and it's good that someone finally tells it how it should be. I don't believe in giving good props to only your friends (like the way all these kids these days fill up their friend's Xanga entries with double eProps for any and every entry).

1 person likes this.
  6. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i've got nothing against karma. it's a bit of fun and gives info on posters for newbies and guests. regular members gain their own opinions on whether someones a good poster or not. if it's abused it's not a good thing but it's not a huge thing. it's on the same level as the post count. there'll always be ppl who abuse it and spam to raise post counts, but it doesn't matter. at least with the karma it doesn't spam the forums.
    thumbs up for saber for the rules. i hope ppl follow them, but if they don't i really don't think it matters. not to regular forum users anyway. :anime:

:edit: *poom-poom gives saber bad karma: doesn't like his hair cut....*

2 people like this.
  7. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Well.. don't let this get out of hand or the admins will take it away permanently.

It seems that some new members may have weird reasons for giving negative karma but also they have a lower weighting than the moderators and admins. So I think it's the older members and the team who have to be more careful in their reasoning for giving negative karma(and I'm sure they will be fair..). And it's the team members who will have to give a good reasoning for giving karma.. say, if Matt or Cloud gave someone a negative karma I think their karma weighting is so strong they'll be in the -100's or somewhere around there.. so I'd expect them to say why they gave it. Blah @_@

And really, it isn't something to get too uptight about. With the old karma system I accidentally gave someone a negative karma and my reasoning was "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"(don't ask...I was giving a guest negative karma but it gave a member it instead) Even if you get a negative karma by some person who doesn't like you or doesn't agree with your opinion(a very stupid reason to give -ve karma, methinks) if you are a good member then you will get more positive than negative with time.

2 people like this.
  8. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I like this idea and have confidence in the members and mods to know when and where to give out and take away karma. However, I do have two questions.

Will mods be able to keep an eye on who's giving karma to whom so they can insure that two members aren't (whats a good word)....enlightening each other [giving each other karma for no apparent reason]?

Besides truly historic moments (for instance when some of our more gifted members light up some numbnut), I can sympathise with members who have second doubts about giving someone karma. If the member agrees with me and/or posts something insightful, would it be fair to enlighten them? I'd prefer some more clarification on this last one.

2 people like this.
  9. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Not necessarily. Karma is not for rewarding people who agree with you. A post like "I agree!" should in fact get negative karma if anything for being a crappy short post.

Good karma goes to good, reasoned, surprising, oringinal etc. posts. Bad karma is for spam, trolls, needless inultsm and posts that are nothing but a single smilie.

Long story short: karma is generally not given for opinions, unless they're truly heinous :D

2 people like this.
  10. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Phalanx, About users trying to "enlighten" eachother, you need to give karma to 20 users before giving it to the same person again, and there's a limit per day on how many times you can give the same user karma.

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

yup yup.
    and we've had the karma system before, long ago in the beginning (for all those who remember it.). you can search the boards and find the old misc thread and see how that went. hehe

personally, i think it's gonna work fine. just let a mod or admin know if you get a harassing karma message is all. pm one of the mods or admins and that person can get a warning for board harassment, which is against board policy. abuse isn't to be tolerated at all with this. i'm sure there'll be a few warnings and the such...
    but otherwise, i think it'll be fine. cause i'm sure if someone is being a huge jerk, they'll get alot more bad karma from alot of people than they can give to one person all in a day.

2 people like this.
  12. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

or just make a black list...
    people just seems to give bad karma to others for no aparent reason at all.
    example
    *12-24-03 09:43 PM Thinks the stupid karma system works*

-=just for the person that gave me this one... I recieve more 6 times more good than the bad karma you gave me ;)=-

anyway.. if people wanna be civilazed, post your problems here ^^
    we, the mods, well be more than happy to help.

13. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

conisdering, you know, that's what we're here for *^-^*
    :catgirl:

14. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

:anger2: someone is messing with me already:

first, i got this for no reason:

Next day:

15. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i'm getting crap like that too chej. ^^. they can only give the same person karma again after 20 other users so i understand, so those ppl shouldn't be a huge problem>_<.

2 people like this.
  16. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

From those bad karma you guys are getting, and the few that I'm getting too, I have to say that another flawed thing about the system is that some people merely think they see a reason to give bad karma. Or they give bad karma for something that's perferctly fine... wouldn't that tick you off? Sure it does. Some people just think they see an opportunity to talk down on someone, but do they stop to think, "Did I REALLY see something bad? Am I sure enough, that I'd glady tell the person, face-to-face in real life?" Imagine what would happen when a veteran flamer has a post falsely disapproved by someone, and finds out who did it? Imagine that happened in real, physical life. (Some people think that just cuz they're online that they don't need to respect people in a well-established community.)

I think the reputation system should be limited to veteran posters, who know how forum posting works, who know at least most of the regulars on the site, and know enough about MangaToAnime and it's community to know when the right times are to give out karma. I think it's unaminous to say that a community as a whole would honor the opinions of its members who've proven themselves, through time, that they know what they're talking about.

1 person likes this.
  17. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Well said, but there's no way to keep karma enabled for only veteran users. The Karma System is just a on/off switch. There's a way to disable karma for users but you have to do it manually. I don't think anybody in their right mind would want to edit 2000 something users :p

18. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

>.>
    <.<

Ok ive been reading this from time to time since it was posted up & im still kinda lost... what is this karma giving deal you speak of? The lil crystal thingies?

19. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Thought so... thanks, twas jus wondering & wondering why this lil cheeky bugger calls me neutral. Question answered, thanks again

1 person likes this.
  20. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Now that the "Power Users" concept was introduced, this thread is more important than ever. I'm giving it a sticky.