Pointers for Giving Karma

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by SaberJ2X, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Engel

Engel New Member

Sweet. :D Thanks Kaiyon. Didn't know about the 10 point karma part. Not that it mattered to myself anyway. ^.^ Many hugs.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Great! Glad I could help in any possible way!

- Kaiyon

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

ten Karma is the same for ten rep so yeah karma for some but for me i just call it rep cause that what it is pretty much

4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

good to see my thread came in handy use for all here

1 person likes this.
  5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

It's great that this thread has come in handy. I think though, that a few people might want to re-read it. I've noticed that karma has been given out lately for some pretty strange reasons, from new members as well as older one.

Please remember that, since bad karma is now worth only half your karma weighting, that it won't hurt someone as much to give it to them. (IE. I could give someone 6 good karma, or 3 bad karma)

So, yeah, the big thing is, try to always have a reason when you give karma, good or bad. Giving karma to your friends, because they are your friends, isn't very fair to other members, for example. I'll admit that even I am guilty of this, to some extent. Anyway, Karma isn't meant to be a way to make your friends look good. It's a way of rewarding users who try to add something to the community, whether that be through a well-reasoned arguement, or some piece of insight no one had thought of, or any number of other reasons.

Bad karma isn't necessarily a bad thing. No one's going to jump down your throat the moment you give someone bad karma, so don't be afraid to give it out if you think the member deserves it. So long as you give a good reason for it, then you shouldn't hear a thing about it. I've gotten my share of bad karma, I'll admit, and I understood why, every single time.

And getting bad karma shouldn't be something to balk at, either. It's a way of showing you that you offended someone, and (hopefully) a way to right that wrong.

I'm sure we all love having karma, but we had it taken away once, for abuse of the system. I know that I, for one, would not want to see karma go. let's try to think a bit more when we give it out, ok?

Really, some people put way too much into it. Karma isn't everything, nor is post count. Both are important in their own ways, but neither are everything, right?

(Hmm... looks like I just re-stated everything that was said in this thread already. :p Oh well. Important things bear repeating, right?)