Video Games PS3 vs. Wii vs. X-Box 360

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by wertitis, Jan 9, 2007.

?

SO! PS3, Wii, or the 360? Which one is King?

1. Sony's Playstation 3

13.3%
  2. Nintendo's Wii

46.7%
  3. Microsoft's X-Box 360

40.0%
  1. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

You knew it was coming! Games, support, Gameplay, Systems in general, which one of the three do you think is better, will out last the others, is the smexiest console evar, is the most fun to play. These are the three kings, take your pick. Which one will be the winner and why?

...And for God's sake Discuss!

~W

2. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

For me it is the PS3.

Though Wii should be the funniest to play.

After careful debate this is what we went for. Though I plan on buying a Wii.

No memory cards needed. Though in order to switch your memory cards over you need an adaptor.

Blu-ray. I heard these DVD players are a grand a piece. They are supposed to have great clarity.

Bluetooth controller. I love Bluetooth after using it with my phones headset.

Don’t have to pay for live.

I was able to download a FREE sudoku game.

The Games:
    Genji: Days of the Blade
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Lair
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

Loads of Anime Games come out of the PS game systems.

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i <3 my wii.
    hardly touch the xbox, but that's just me (<3 viva pinata o_O and halo)

and have hardly touched my ps for anything other than guitar hero(s), so, no interest in an over priced blu-ray player (all blu-ray players are, but that's besides the point) i also see enough patents fixing things with blu ray to not have interest in it atm.

4. Orion

Orion Gears

360 is my winner. PS3's a piece of garbage IMO. The launch of the PS3 was so over-hyped, the only decent game they had at launch was Resistance. Sony claims that PS3 has more power, but what do they have to show? Gears of War is the single best looking game on the market right now IMO.

Live (360) has a better feel and look to it than PS3's online for me. It's a lot more interactive and customizable for me. As for the controllers, the Siaxis is no big thing. 360 has wireless controllers too that seem much more comfy to hold for me.

The Wii hasn't been left out, it's the most fun to play out of the three for me and probably the easiest to use. It's graphics aren't great, but the games sure are fun, which, in the long run, makes or breaks any console on the market today.

5. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

amen to that =3
    too much emphasis on "graphics make the game" the past few years or so.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

PS3 is the number 1 for me
    though Wii has it charms

7. Orion

Orion Gears

Quoted for truth. Graphics aren't important. Sure, they make the game look pretty, but what if the game isn't fun? The most important aspect of a good game is gameplay. Take, for example, Metal Gear Solid for Playstation. That game came out and it had blocky graphics, still decent, but they were blocky. Yet it's been voted the Greatest Game Ever Made more than once. It happens to be my favorite game today, and I got that back in Christmas time when I was 8 years old! If the game only looks pretty but doesn't play well, it won't be worth playing. Gameplay FTW. :D

8. wertitis

Wii has innovation working behind it, and regardless of the game, it's usually alot of fun to play just because people are moving around and having a good time. The PS3 is expensive and there's no good games for it. And it shipped broken. Almost 40% of first gen PS3s broke within the first two weeks- Weak.

The 360 is going to be one of my next major purchases. THere's so many good games out for it and it's a lot of fun. Blue Dragon will be my clincher. The guys who produced, wrote the music and did the artwork and character design for Chrono Trigger are designing Blue Dragon. The dream team is back and they're on the 360. Never mind Halo, Gears of War, Lost Planet and a long list of other games available.

I'm a little stoked. :3

~W

1 person likes this.
  9. Basher

I bought a Wii and I am a little disappointed in all the stuff you have to buy for it.

I guess I am taking my PS3 for granted.

With a Wii you need a memory stick. If you buy the actually ones they range from 50 to 80 bucks. With the PS3 none is needed.

Does anyone know about the 360?

Though with the PS3 you need an adapter to put the PS2 memory card onto the actual hard drive. 15 bucks. But what do you really need it for?

I think the 360 does need memory cards correct me if I am wrong though.

So for me PS3 wins.

I think we all realize that we would buy extra controllers.

With the Wii ya need the Nunchuck and Remote which are 19.99 and 39.99. Who really wants to do the classic? Well that is 19.99 and it can't be used on some games. It also uses batteries (Remote) there is also a charger. I believe.

With the PS3 controllers are 39.99 for wireless and 29.99 for non wireless. With the Wireless they use lithium batteries which means you need to replace the whole controller but I don't know that for sure. I heard it. Maybe the batteries cost the same. But they last for at least a year.

360 wireless is 49.99 and needs batteries.

So for me PS3 wins.

I am happy that the Wii put the Sensory bar at 10 bucks. That will probably get ruined. I have a four year old son. Yes it is on top the TV but still. We also have cats. So I see it as a 10 dollar loss.

Another draw back on the Wii.

Now the games. Wii has the newest Zelda games. It is very fun. I played 6 hours plus last night.

I do like Genji for the PS3 and don't have a 360 so I can't say on that.

For 360 the prices are 29.99 to 59.99, for Wii 29.99 to 49.99, and for the PS3 59.99.

If you have the Wii what console would you buy the game for? For me it is the Wii though unless I like it a lot. Like it has good graphics I would go PS3. Also if the game has special features only available on that console.

Graphics might not make the game but they sure as hell help especially when the prices are so close. Ultimate Alliance looks like you are watching little movies. I love the first. Spiderman says "that guy (wolverine) scares me." xD Genji is like wow.

I don't even want to get into the "extras" needed mainly for the Wii. I can understand like a karaoke game but not a racing game.

Now my boyfriend wants a 30+ inch high definition TV. There goes over a grand. Heh. It has to be 1080.

For the games I can't really say. I don't have a list for the "only." Plus hardly anything is out that I like. 1 for Wii and 1 for PS3 and I have no clue on the xbox.

Right now there isn't jack out on the PS3. For me there was 1 game I want to play. My boyfriend there was like 4 or 5 which will keep us busy enough. We also have WoW.

Now if we look at the prices the Wii is the cheapest. So the Wii would win right?

5 games at highest price and the other 3 controllers brings totals too. Plus batteries and membership for a year on Wii and 360. I went for 30 bucks on batteries wither it is the 360 recharger or rechargeable batteries 30 bucks should cover it. If the person is smart it shouldn't cost them more then that after the first year.

$1020 PS3 (MAX besides with more games :p )
    $950 360 (One more year and it is more then the PS3 and it keeps going)
    $750 Wii (I put down 4000 points two cards not sure how it works though I figured that is what I would be willing to buy in a year)

Didn't add in Memory cards wasn't sure on the 360.

I believe that with the PS3 ya can get a 10 dollar PS2 connection thing. Which would drop the PS3 price by 90 bucks. Not sure on the 360. But with Wii there would be no point.

So why I choose the PS3 is the price.

I like Blu ray. I believe if they market it right it will be popular. With so much clarity it is better then the movie theaters. It is new so yes there will be problems but they fix it so no big deal. I want FF VII Advent Children on Blu Ray. That would be so sweet/awesome.

Also about price you don't need extra things. Including membership and two controllers. No more 50 bucks plus memory cards. Also I think the PS3 dropped in price in Japan so maybe here next?

PS3 for the graphics. They are just sick.

PS3 for blue tooth controller. All are wireless but none have Blue tooth except for PS3. Its better I think so.

PS3 for no longer having to get up to turn it on. Go laziness.

PS3 for being the only PS for the next ten years. I read an article about that wither it is true or not makes me wonder.

PS3 for being available. Well sort of. More then the Wii right now. I barely got a Wii last weekend. At least to the North there is no Wii. My boyfriend got it. He lied in a way to me about it wanted to surprise me. Funny thing is I called him to check to see if my son was lying that night.

Though the games now suck I am still happy for now with the one I like. And for the Wii the games are fun (not for my lazy boyfriend though) in the long run PS3 wins. So go PS3.

10. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

the 360 doesn't need a memory card. if you have the hard drive anyways.

it also has a large selection of high res games, and unlike the ps3, it doesn't scale them down if your high def tv is over 2 years old (essentially making the ps3 running at the dp of a ps2), which is annoying as hell. info can be googled. PA had a link a while back.

11. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

You forget one thing the PS3 had uncertinty on its known relaese confusing game makers.
    Plus the releases from sony had been quite recent and theirs not much of a gap between the all the consoles
    Come on it is quite hard to deside the project you are going to work on considering there are many different bonderies on each of them.
    And it takes time to delelope ideas and come up with ideas, to autually cerate, design the games then testing for flaws.
    Within testing to see if there game they cerated will be a success, and appeal to gamers.

Then again i know nothing and me basicailly for sony i guess i would be on its side in any curcomstances.
    Plus i think X-boxes and 360s are **** coz of the two things:
    this guy i know owned a 360 and after a week or so his discs were getting clean circler scratch in the centre.
    my X-box controls can be confusing (i guess it coz i'm mainly a PlayStation Gamer) and the fact it can't play any fricken disc.

12. wertitis

Down the road PS3 has a lot of games slated for release that will kick some *ss, but for the moment they don't have any appreciable titles, they over heat and to make things worse they break on a regular basis. You know a system has issues when the demo system in the game store is shut down because it broke eight hours after they turn it on.

Until Sony releases some titles that are PS3 exclusives aside from MGS4 and Resistance (Assasin's creed is now an X-Box 360 shared title) and drop the price significantly AND fix the problem of thier machines overheating I don't see any reason to buy one.

To put it bluntly they released too soon. They didn't fix all the bugs in thier system, they didn't have any real launch titles (like you said because Sony decided to alienate it's third party developers by not giving them the proper system feedback and information) and they most certainly didn't ship anywhere close to enough units to stem the initial rush. How many people went to the hospital to get Wii's or 360's compared to the PS3?

Alot of reviewers and online game rating organizations claim that the Wii was the worst launch out of all three and complain about how bad the launch titles were. I guess they must have been sitting down using the Wiimotes from thier hips rather than have fun with them. Many hardcore gamers are naturally against Nintendo and thier systems based upon thier history. That spilled over into thier initial reviews. Nintendo's biggest flaw was always that it marketed to kids rather than adults and since the N64 it's been lousy with it's third party developers.

Finally Nintendo seems to be making that turn by providing more third party support and marketing more games for adults. At this stage Nintendo's biggest flaw is that the Wii looks like a Gamecube in terms of graphics and that it doesn't play DVDs. We'll see how both of those pan out in the future. Seeing as it now has online support it's always possible that Nintendo could release a pay for patch that allows Wii's to play DVDs. You never know (Though I wouldn't hold my breath).

The biggest thing that the Wii has- It's fun as hell to play. I think that in the end that will make or break it, so long as they continue to ride the innovation tangent and make thier systems fun and exciting to use. If I wanted to just sit down and play games old fashioned style I always have thier retro-system on the Wii as well as the 360.

The 360 has its enstablished base and more badass games than I could shake a stick at. I love the system's horsepower and the selection it provides, even if you do have to pay for X-box online. It's got a heads up on the other systems in terms of console fanbase and such. In the US the 360 appears to be a relative success. Overseas it's a different story. Only time will tell on that.

~W

13. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

but you forget the amount of pressure they had after anoucing their production

14. Basher

Wert: I think saying how many people went to the hospital to buy a Wii and 360 isn't a good thing. :p

Just for you Wert. “Reports of violence surrounding the release of the PS3 include a customer shot, campers robbed at gunpoint, customers shot in a drive-by shooting with BB guns, and 60 campers fighting over 10 systems”

I have not had any problems with PS3 over heating which makes me wonder if those people are blocking the fans (which are possible) or leaving it on forever. Both things you shouldn't do.

I have seen those ones in the stores all of them are in cased. No wonder it over heats in eight hours.

One thing we all have to admit is if people would take better care of what they got. With the Wii you don't need to be flinging the controller all over. With the PS3 don’t block the vents!!! I got nothing on the 360 because I know nothing on the 360.

BB: Thanks for the heads up. I was kind of wondering about HDTV. It is sort of new but with anything there would be issues. It might have to do with resolution. Well it would have to because it changed that right? I am glad we didn’t get one yet.

Though it makes me wonder if people have what they need. 1080p and 1080i there is a difference. I know Blu-ray and PS3 use 1080p. Something 2 years ago in technology makes it like actually 10 years ago by the way it is going.

Anyway don’t think the Wii doesn’t have its own problems.

The first firmware update via WiiConnect24 reportedly caused a small portion of units to become unusable. This forced users to either send their units to Nintendo for repairs (if they wished to retain their saved data), or exchange it for a free replacement. AND It has also been reported that during standby mode, the Wii can overheat to the point of damaging the GPU, causing pixilation problems, such as random dark or green pixels, to appear. Currently, it is possible to contact Nintendo and send it for repair.

THERE are also legal issues with the Wii.

BOTH updating on the Wii and PS3 sucks. They are both horribly slow.

Xbox 360 also isn’t perfect.

Have ya heard of the “Screen of Death?” If the system experiences a serious error. In such instances the user is prompted to contact Xbox customer support.

Because of its high power consumption, the Xbox 360 console poses a moderate risk of overheating if users do not follow the guidelines prescribed by the user manual. Users are advised not to obstruct air flow to the enclosure vents or power supply. (I said that with the PS3 so it is the same here.)

Adding on to scratching of Disc that Wolfie said .When a user moves the Xbox 360 from a vertical position to a horizontal position, or vice-versa, the inserted disc may brush against the drive's pickup-assembly and incur scratches to its reflective coating. The Xbox 360 owner's manual specifically warns against moving the system while a disc is inserted. Microsoft does not replace scratched game discs, by simply replacing the media, because they do not own the rights to some games.

Also, it was advised by Microsoft not to power cycle the console with a disc in the tray as that can lead to the scratching of discs.

I am not done there I have heard with the 360 game recognition issues. Two things come up "This game can only be played on an Xbox 360" despite the fact that the console is, indeed, an Xbox 360 and "Unplayable Disc.”

There was also this patch that would lock up consoles, rendering them useless.

Ohh, ohh I am not done yet.

When a Microsoft Xbox 360 console experiences a "general hardware failure", on the front of the console three red lights appear, thus then being nicknamed the "Ring of Death". To date, Microsoft has not commented on the source of the general hardware failure, but many believe it is related to the console overheating. Some people have experienced system failure after updating the firmware of their system through Xbox Live or installing the update through a CD.

There is also tray jamming on the 360.

Both the PS3 and 360 have problems.

So if you like the 360 you get a lot of neat nicknames “Ring of Death” and “Screen of Death” to name a few. :D

So all in all we can say Wii for fun, PS3 for graphics, and 360 for an over expensive stacker for holding the PS3. xD Kidding.

15. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hubby says we've gotten the SoD twice in theory. never seen the RoD.

guess we're nice to our consoles; we don't force games in, we let it suck the disc in on it's own, we keep the other consoles spaced away, and in the case of the 360, since it's power box has air holes on all sides, we have it's power box dangling behind everything where it can get air. the 64 has a ton of crap on it, but, it's the 64. =3 i've had the wiimote sleeves on the controllers since purchase.

the ps2 has crashed more than any console we own. including 2 dream casts. and my ps2 has never crashed. in it's defense though, chris' ps2 IS a launch one and is "special". xbox is just like that too.

the launch problems are really nothing a long time gamer didn't see coming. it's the launch version; those things hate life. chris' ps2 won't even load contra without having to try about 10 times.

in conclusion: most problems can be avoided with common sense. unfortunatly, most people blew all their money on consoles and can't afford it right now. >.>

16. Axel

Axel New Member

The ps3 is pritty awful i prefer the first 2, the wii are all children games. the 26 is my favourite but the huge downside to it is that mine has broke to the red circle of death damn it but it it still my favourite by far as the games are great and i love live on it

17. Seishin

Seishin Guest

After watching all three of the E3 Conferences, it's painfuly clear that the X-Box 360 is currently reigning supreme as the "Next-Gen Champion", since the PS2 still outsells the 360 one time or another. However, it gets you thinking, there's a whole lot of people with PS2's and X-Box's that have yet to make the next gen jump, is Sony doing it's job to keep its people loyal? To put it bluntly, no.

In case you missed E3, here's probably the quickest recap for each of the big three conferences:

Microsoft Conference-
    Showed up an impressive amount of games, highlights of which include Rock Band, Assasin's Creed, Project Gotham Racing 4, and Naruto. They also announced their plans to hit the family market with the future release of Viva Pinata, and a "Scene It" game (which retails as much as a full priced 360 game, AND includes 4 controllers). Trying to get the family in, they also announced their partnerships with new giants, the most noted would be Disney.

The most hardcore of gamers weren't denied either, with such games like Splinter Cell-Conviction, and at the very end, of course, an impressive single-player trailer of Halo 3.

Nintendo-

Nintendo showed everything you'd expect, most of them being first party titles, most especially Super Mario Galaxy. Other highlights include The Legend of Zelda for the DS, the announcment of Super Smash Bros. BRAWL's official release date (Dec. 2), and of course, Wii FIT. The conference was a bit shorter than Microsoft, and most of it focused on getting the 'Casual Gamer' on their train.

Sony-

Sony's conference (to me) seemed short. Not much was shown, the highlights of the conference could be the announcment of a redesigned PSP, which is 1/4 smaller, and carries more things inside it, most noted would the a Video Output, which can even output signals into High Defenition.

More of the silly PlayStation HOME (which the way it was shown, one of the guys announcing things through his "HOME" character was really, really cheesy), and of course, Killzone 2.
    ----------------------------------------
    As far as Nintendo, and the Wii goes, I'm going to get it, I just don't know when.

The 360 is something that everyone else needs to get now, in come of the "Biggest Holiday Line up ever", which I do agree with.

The PS3 needs to do less promise, less showing what "potential" they've got, and show something playable that works. If we all rememeber correctly, the PS3 seemed like a dream on E3 '06, Mobile Suit Gundam seemed too good to be true. And it was, when the time comes, Sony shows how greatly it can dissapoint people.

The latest of which was the new 100$ PS3 price drop. Wait a week later, and find out that it's limited until supplies last, so then if you're unlucky, you're forced to buy their 80GB bundle (That's 100 bucks for 20 gigs...)

As of now, 360>Wii>PS3

-Seishin

18. Basher

I want to Advent Childern on Blue Tooth. That would be awesome...Probably the reason why I will buy a PS3.

19. larsen

larsen New Member

I hope this may helps:

Sony Playstation 3 Console – has an average expert rating of 80 (based on 8 expert sources).

http://www.smartratings.com/review/electronics/video_gaming_consoles/88

Nintendo Wii Console – has an average expert rating of 85 (based on 18 expert sources).

http://www.smartratings.com/review/electronics/video_gaming_consoles/86

Microsoft Xbox 360 Premium System – has an average expert rating of 85 (based on 7 expert sources).

http://www.smartratings.com/review/electronics/video_gaming_consoles/87

Based on the ratings, the Wii and XBox 360 are to be preferred but a closer examination of the reviews might be very helpful.