Philosophy Purpose of Existence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kagome's Arrow, May 25, 2004.

1. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Is that saying that the purpose of existence is not to give purpose to existance, or not to have a purpose? But that there would be giving a purpose to existance, so I guess you're right when you say it's an endless tail.

2. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

The purpose of existance is something that cannot be answered. Same thing as for is the cup half full or half empty. It is based on how you feel about life and how important it is to you.

And it wouldnt be a tail if it was endless.

( I was thinking about what I said and started questioning even more...about the cup and water situation. See...if you were filling up the cup than it would be half full and if you were drinking from it than it would be half empty. :glazed: Iam thinking too much again.)

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

I believe our ultimate purpose in life is to love. The more we love and teach others to live a *true* love (non-selfish), the better. (Hint: true love involves *responsibility*, a term that has been losing its meaning these days).

I also believe that life was given to us to enjoy it. :) As long as our enjoyment does not go against love / responsibility.

4. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

I think I believe that theory... I mean, why were we given a brain with which to actually think. I'm not saying that animals don't think, they just think alot less, but now I'm getting off topic here... I think that we were given the ability to think, to enjoy ourselves.

Love... love is just important to us. It's something we all will (probably) experience.

5. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Our purpose? To find a purpose. Simple as that.

Other than that, our purpose would be evolution, right? In the human mind, anyway. We always want to advance.... in an animals life, the purpose is to cherish it, and stay alive.

*snicker* I mean afterall, we're all part of the circle of life.

...Ignore that. Anyway, as far as our universe, think of it like this:

There's an empty patch of dirt.
    And this dude can put little flowers there.

So why not?

The universe is an empty patch of dirt.
    And we could be there.

So why not?

6. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

i think that as humans, our purpose in life is to just mess up everything and turn forests land and stuff into houses and places for houses to be built on.

7. Dusk

Dusk New Member

Let us define existence, before we can find its purpose.

8. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

why does it matter why we're here, or why we exist?

why dont we all just.....exist~

besides, you may hurt yourself trying to find an answer~ :p

9. Dusk

Dusk New Member

Because we all exist to find purpose and to find meaning. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

This is a philosophical forum, not a philodoxical one. To find the truth of the universe you should try to answer these questions.. even the simplest things we know today were discovered by people asking little questions that "would have hurt themselves."

I think that Dusk is getting somewhere when he says "Because we all exist to find purpose and to find meaning." As we grow up we are faced with many decisions and the decisions we make create who we are and what our purpose in the rest of society is. These things not only help us but our society that we live in, whether it be a whole country, city, or a small commune. In a village one may decide to become a farmer, and through this provide crops for his or her people. But, that farmer can not survive without the tools the blacksmith creates for him/her. The blacksmith relies on the miner and lumberjack to bring him/her material to work with. But, the blacksmith also creates the tools for the miner, and the farmer feeds the blacksmith, minder and lumberjack with the food he/she produces. And as the society becomes larger more and more people are needed to keep the society going. So, it is every individuals purpose to do their part for their society to survive.

Yet, this seems to work mainly for agrarian and hunting/gathering type societies. There are some questions about if sports figures who get millions of dollars per game do more for their society than say, doctors and researchers.

11. Dusk

Dusk New Member

What would we say to those whose purpose is not so clear or not so set?
    Does everyone or everything has a purpose? Or, are some things that belong to existence do not have meaning?

Some may have a so hidden meaning or unknown purpose such that we believe that some have no purpose. All existence may be all simple and all obvious. Who knows what the purpose of it all is?

However, I think that there is a possibility that there is no purpose to existence. The notion of purpose or meaning may not be intuition, but the understanding of purpose or meaning may not be a natural process.

We all exist in the natural world, then. But, are we natural beings? Maybe the ways of nature have abandoned us to our materialistic view of society. Then, we are artificial gradually over time and space. Artificial things have purpose.

What is existence? Is it natural? If it is a part of nature, then I think it may have no purpose or some purpose. Existence may be a connection of some kind. Maybe it is all depends on our perspective.

Is purpose limited by time and space? That is, does a short moment in time makes a purpose? If to exist is to live (or to have a life), does life have a purpose? Does death have not purpose, then? Doesn't everything have a purpose!? :dizzy2: