Question.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chance, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

I discussed this with La Sombra earlier today..Erm..Yesterday, And i wanted to know, how do you become a moderator?

I'm sure this has been asked before and for the repeat, I apologize. =/ But I honestly would like to know how. I guess I'd even like to mod eventually. Creative Writing=My passion. So, anyone want to enlighten the poor 16 year old? T_T

2. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

I think the admins decide on that but I'm not sure myself on how they do choose them. I remember asking Basher about how you become a mod and I can't really remember what she said, and I can't look back because that PM is gone :p

3. Chance

La Sombra's idea was that you ask to become one and they review it as a group. I'm not sure if post count or time on the site matters though. :/

4. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I became a mod by asking. It is completily up to the Admins. Right now I think there are a lot of mods. BUT you never know when some may leave.

5. Lance Leingod

Well, I would think that time and posts do count to a point. But I would also think that you also have to look at other things like if the person will in fact do his/her job as being a mod for a board and other things too. But that's at least what I would think they do for I have no idea how they do pick.

I also want to be a mod some time in the future (although I would think that others would like to as well). If I do happen to become one, I would like it to be the RPG forums.

(now I'm going off topic, sorry :sweat: )

6. Chance

Well, I know one thing. If I became a mod, I wouldn't neglect my job. ^^ I mean, I've been around almost two years and I have to say, I've had my neglegent points. But I'm back and I love this site. I want to help contribute...Which I actually try to do all the time. >.>

7. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

All I can say is all in good time. I think it is great that others want to contribute to this site. :D

And Lance I am not the one to talk about Lengths as far as RPGs go. Almost two years on one. heh

8. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I just got promoted after a clean up.

Im guessing every february is when this happens.

I 'unno.

:p

-Seishin

9. Fushigi Rockna

Time and post count actually almost counts for nothing it seems ^^; I joined in March, and thanks to former mod Seb, i became a mod the following summer. ^^; Not that i'm bragging...looking back I can't believe it myself. xDD Seems like yesterday...

How i became a mod:
    -Seb approached me about it. He wanted to know if I was interested in becoming an RPG mod, because the third mod (at that time it was him, Meaikoh and someone else who i never met because they were never on O_O) was never on as I said. I showed interest. seb then approached BMS about it. BMS approached me. boom. Insta' mod. O.O

I've seen mods be recommended (i.e. myself, shadowbard, seishin, wert, kaiyon and Hitohiro), I've seen people ask to be mods (i.e. basher). either way we usually review it as a group or Cloud and BMS just review it themselves. I think there's been a couple times where we've put our foot down to some requests, but most of the time we all agree...great minds think a like. <3

if you really want to, approach the admins, I suppose. =) the only thing you need is the willingness to do so. ^^
    oh and a decent track record >>

10. Chance

I guess I'm waiting til someone approaches me. I'm not gonna bug the admins for the position. I want to help, not pester. ^^

11. Fushigi Rockna

And that's the type of attitude we like. =D

12. Lance Leingod

Same for me. I can ask, yeah, but I'd rather wait until someone approached me.

13. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

lol... moderation what a fun thing! well I can see You becoming a mod some day Lucky. You might have slacked off for 2 years but you came back witha striking fist! it all depends on need and decisions. Life is based on the people who live it. Live a life that shows you are capable and willing and people will notice! thats all i really have to say on the matter seeing as how i am not a mod. But I give my words from the knowledge that thats what counts in the world! Good luck and have fun!

~ Hiro (stole it from wertitis lol :anime:)

14. Chance

Hey, I did not slack off for two years. T_T I posted and such, just wasn't as active. Geez, you make me sound negligent. XD Anyhoo, good luck to you all and Lance, I could see you moding in a year or so. ^^

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

It's simple enough- and already explained that it can happen in many ways, but really the best way is to prove yourself to be a valuable, interesting and interested member- take part in things you can that affect the site, make suggestions, and of course follow the rules. :p Moderators should lead by example, after all. If you set a good example as a member, it's reasonable enough to believe that you'll set a good example as a moderator as well.

That said it can happen completely unexpectedly- look at me for example. First time I was promoted was a total shock to me:
    [thread]16812[/thread]

Cleanups happen whenever we get bugging for it- which does happen, although not very often.

In essence, you should never need to ask to become a moderator, although it helps to let it out that you're interested ;)