Debate Religion vs Science (Faith vs Reason)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ame no Hinoiri, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Ame no Hinoiri

Ame no Hinoiri New Member

Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm new, and don't see one of these in the forum currently.

I've had this conversation on other forums, but... Which is right? Religion or Science? Faith or Reason? I find that reason is the best possible thing to have, and that nothing should be taken without cause or reason behind it. Faith, in my opinion, is simply an excuse to explain that which has no cause, which has no reason.

Please, in this topic, be mindful of others' religion. That is a very sensitive topic, and I don't want people offended because of my topic.

Let the discussions begin.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

No, your post is fine. Your discussion topic is quite interesting, that it is. This is actually the main story idea behind Dan Brown's, Angels & Demons.

First, a little note on your opening post. You remind people not to say anything to mean about 'religion' or 'faith' so as to not offend anyone but you called Faith an 'excuse', did you not? This could be interpreted as offensive, so lets be careful how we put things in the future, okay?

Now, as for the topic, I believe neither one triumphs over the other. I believe they are both complementary of each other. Without one you cannot have the other. It's true, just about everything can be explained in one way or another, so reason seems to be better than faith. However, faith brings something to the table that reason cannot. Reason relies on the outside world, the physical aspects. Faith does the same, but it also brings the spiritual aspects, of course. Reason shows it as just what it is, but Faith lets you take that extra step and go above and beyond the thing itself. It is what gives a fireman the ability to run into a burning building and come back out alive.

I'm a Christian, but even I give Reason a chance to explain what has happened before I call it faith. It was Faith, not Reason, that helped cure my mother's breast cancer, or stop the internal bleeding in my dad's stomach before it killed him. The doctors in both occassions found not possible explanation for the cancer could be there one week and gone the other or how the holes in my dad's stomach just disappeared.

In short, Reason is like a circle. You can only see the thing in one aspect. Faith, however, is like a sphere, where there are endless possiblities.

3. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

I couldnt have put it any better Hitohiro. For me I don't believe in religion, I believe in faith. The difference between religion and faith is that Religion is the man made aspect of beliefs, where as faith is the belief in something that man cannot truly comprehend. To explain this, If we look at religion, it is based around traditions and other such practices that are based on what man has deemed to be the things that are the staples in a certain religion (whether it be shown to man from the "gods" or prophesied). Now faith on the other hand is the belief in something more then reason, something that is above our control and we are incapable of truly understanding it or even putting reason to it. Faith has no traditions because it has no religion. Faith, to be put simply, is belief.

Now that that is distinguished, I believe that faith would not exist if it were not for reason/science. And the truth be told, there are some phenomona in this universe that not even Science can prove. Most science is based on Hypothesis and differentials that constantly change, so there is no exact solution in this universe there is only Belief in that solution being as close to accurate as we can possibly fathom. Now that also brings me to the fact that without Faith/Belief there could be no reason. We must belief in the cause/reason of somehting for it to be true, or rather true to us. If it is not believed in how could it possibly be true? Now I know there of course are things that stand true wheter we believ in them or not, but if no one were to believe them then its reason would not exist in our minds. For me, I am like Hitohiro, I am a Christian, but by faith. I have no religion, I only have faith in what I belief and follow it the best I can seeing and feeling and experiencing what I have in my life.

4. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Faith is something that not all can have, I am a a " I have to see it to belive it" type of guy. Science is able to do that for me in most aspects. With Science you're able to actually understand something because you can see how it works, why it works, what makes it work, what causes the work to work correctly. You're able to find answers, because you can see how it is done.
    Religion is something of a completly differnt nature, it adds comfort and morals to your life. Gives some people hope, and in there own minds understanding of what has been brought to them. Makes people happy to know what they have done in life with give them great rewards in the "end". Ect.
    Religion not only helps people, it has also hurt them.
    How many wars have been fought in the name of Religion/God. Religion also has also added a great negativity on certain people. ( Not going to name the many, because thats not what this debate is about and it will only get things out of hand, by having people preach... yadda yadda) Then you have the differnt types of Religions and how they all clash, but in Science there is only one.( Minus the unknown debated parts, scence its kind of hard to type and sum of all forms of science in to one large group ..aka Science)

I could write a ton lot more, but I really am not. One: I have work in the morning, two... I can sum this up real fast.

___

Science Vs. Religion I don't think either is 'Better' than the other, I do know, one doesn't hurt people, one can hurt people. One is a collective gathering of facts, the other is a gathering of stories and hope.

I am one for facts not fiction. I do however respect people who are able to belive in the what ifs and have faith in something other than what is known.

( This will probably need editing.. I am very tired.)

5. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

This is a good topic I wish I saw it earlier.

I totally believe this.

There are something that can't be explained. At some point I believe there will be.

Don't get me wrong I do believe in God but its more in the sense that he is there in my faith. When I need something or when i prove my religion.

Religion or Science?

Science. It has been proven.

I think at some point all the miracles will be proven to why they happen. To me it has to do with the human capability and the will.

Faith or Reason?

Faith. That is the answer because we can't find a reason. Until then it faith.

6. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

7. Basher

Who's blog space is it? Can't see anything. It's private

8. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

I'm not much into Religon cause... well my mom never was... and my dad never really went to church.

In my opinion... I don't believe something magical is going to happen cause you pray or go to church. I don't think good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people cause you look around and that's not really true. (SO I'm a half empty person...) But some of the things religion says is true... except for the part about miracles.

Science has facts... and nothing just happens or is magical or anything. I get the science.... Not that that is much for a debate but... (Read Below xD)

xP Okay.. that was not good but I'm tired and my brain is fired from all the homework I had today... My apoligise (See... can't even spell today.)

9. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

it's mine Basher! Your a friend on my myspace... unless you deleted me... *tear*

10. Basher

No your there I just didn't register right inside My head.

That's a very good tale to me it makes much sense.

Although considering God has yet to be proven then maybe there is no proof to evil. Then if there are no proof to evil then maybe evil is just a word where there is an absent of good.

Hehe

For there is faith over reason and science over religion

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i've always thought of good and evil as just names for moral standards. i mean, the death penalty used to be used quite alot in the middle ages, was fine then. it was good to kill the bad guys. now, it's bad to do that, as it's "not our right". so, good is the current acceptable moral standard and evil is any perseved deviation from the norm. but that's just me =p

until science can't convince me otherwise, it beats religion in my book. but an all encompassing entity just doesn't bring me any comfort. especially if we're in his image. that actually terrifies me >.> look at humanity and tell me we're great. cause i got some great books on murders i love pandering off for others to read =p (not saying there aren't good people)

12. Basher

Me to BB. But I didn’t want to say that because I didn't want to confuse people.

Like I would take it further.

Considering good doesn't have anything beyond the best then good is just a term people associate with morals. So good doesn’t exist neither does evil/bad considering the standards.

Anyway if the teacher asked me I would be like possibly just because like BB reasons and the fact that I do have some faith mostly because some things can’t be explained. Until then god did it. Also there are so many forms of god through out the world how can it not be true in a sense. But then there is the fact maybe people back then were asking the questions how we came along and came up with the biggest lie ever.

Good point BB. About the murder books. Totally off topic here. Have you read any books with the Zodiac Killer? I think that is one of the most interesting murder books ever. Just like Jack the Ripper the real killer has never been found.

13. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

just the stuff in crimelibrary.com =p

i think god has always been a kid kind of term. you know, like how parents tell their kids the lights work by magic? you use the term when the real reason is beyond your basic understanding, and you just don't want the details.

14. Basher

theres a thought.

It does make sense considering we cant explain miracles. Like in the sense of people being healed and etc...

15. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

The title God was originally a Proper noun used to describe ONE being, it was when all religions started calling their religious deities "God" that the Proper Noun turned into a normal noun. God ,in my belief, is the Proper noun as in the name of of someone, while god is the noun (upper case versus lower case) used to label the deities of certain religions

16. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i refer to all gods as god, because i'm too lazy to hit shift or hate writing in caps.

17. Basher

Although hiro that works for you but others think that "god" is "God" heh.

Me to BB lazy to the max.

I am starting to think it is one heck of a good story.

18. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Not a fan of the wording used in this, since belief does not always lack reason, and reason does not always hold validity. Perception holds a huge roll in both things.

I am a god fearing jewish woman in a world where many individuals my age are currently falling in line with the new age crowd. Wicca/Atheism and the occasional 'Pagan'. I have no issue with what you choose to believe, but it will fall in to my arguement.

With the argument of creationism versus evolution, I honestly pull for both. I do. I'm a first believer in the big bang, though that to me ties right in to the idea of a higher power. What caused it? There had to be something. As its believed, you cannot create something from nothing.

Know the Horton hears a Who theory? I made it up.. Sorta. Well, it came up once when I was talking with my ex. See, I believe that we are merely a speck in the existence of all, meaning like all the who's in whoville, we are but wee things existing in a universe far larger.

Now back to new age thinking. The belief in Wicca, a religion created in the 1950's by a man many consider rather off balance. Atheism was once this rarely brought up belief that few could really admit to feeling. Nowadays though, it seems no one is willing to place faith in anything. Screw being Agnostic, Atheism is all the rage. Weird stuff.

Pagan beliefs seem to clump quite a few things together. You can believe anything and claim to be pagan, it seems. I don't know why but I'm not all that fond of that grouping.

Anyway, on to the science aspect of things. So scientists learn how things work, and in such, believe all is dealt with in such cases. They 'know' where we descended from and how long ago it was, and just exactly how everything came to be. That weirds me out. I mean, does it really change who we are now to delve that far back into the past just to disprove millions of people who've put faith in to the idea of a God/Gods?

If I want to burn rosemary and chant, leave me be. Don't knock it until you've really tried it, I say. Really, do they have to stand up and argue their point because the church isn't a fan of it? Eh. Both sides need to chill. Peace, love and what have you is universal and doesn't need to be labeled with a religious backing or a scientific theory.

Forgive any lack of excessive intelligence in this argument. It is 4am after all. ;3

19. Basher

No problem here Chance.

It's really based on what people "think." We can't control the way people think though.

I think far to "out of the box" actually I am miles away from the box.

Religion and evolution are both beliefs for they have yet to be proven.

20. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

no..

k?

just.. no.