Reviews of latest BOTP/G-Force DVDs!

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Dirk Daring, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

I really like how in depth these reviews went. From what i see, these guys seem to know their stuff. I didnt have much time to read them over, so if you guys see any glaring mistakes the reviewers stated, point them out! ;)

Battle of The Planets 25th Anniversary Collection review:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/559/559396p1.html?fromint=1

The Best of G-Force review:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/559/559366p1.html

Suprisingly, these guys are one of very few out there in the internet community that ive seen hail G-Force as the superior product compared to BOTP. Discuss!?

Oh yeah, and note to Mark if youre out there: Sorry to say, but as i type in the bottom of the 9th, the Bosox pretty much have this series in the sack, and are mere minutes away from probably braking the *shudder* CURSE! :eek:

EDIT: The Curse.................................has been broken. They did it. :cool:

2. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Those are pretty extensive reviews. It doesn't seem like this guy likes either of the two that much, and was grasping at straws to say good things. I won't be picking up the 25th anniversary set since I have the whole series from the UK, but I thought something special would have been in there for extras. Oh, well.

I'm one step ahead of you as far as The Curse is concerned. See below.

3. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

What i liked is how in depth they went as far as reviewing the quality of the video & audio transfers of the DVD's go. Do you think they were right about Rhino using an old VHS transfer for the BOTP DVD's, and that they really didnt remaster the footage from the masters (which is what i believed up until now was the case)? If so, then they should have used the techniques that ADV used for their remastered Robotech DVD releases, and thats take remastered or better quality footage from the original series at hand (in this case, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. Hell, even G-Force:GoS as that seems to be the series with the best video quality from what ive seen.) and mold it into exact or close replications of the original BOTP episodes as they did so 25 years ago. The American-made segments obviously are remained untouched. But i can imagine this process being quite costly and long/difficult, but the end results would have been fantastic. Just look at Robotech. I understand this was also done with the BOTP "movie".

I was pleased with how the G-Force DVD was rated as far as video & sound quality, but thats understandable considering the transfer is 8 years younger than BOTP's. But the reviewers must not be big Gatchaman buffs as even though both DVD's were given average/mediocre scores, they blindly preferred G-Force over BOTP and didnt even bother to point out its flaws, such as the production and yes, the infamous synth backbeat :) But they totally ripped BOTP to shreds in their review. On a side note, on BOTP's former slot on Boomerang now airs Jonny Quest (the 60's series). Bummer. No Anime Network in sight for me, how about you guys?

And LOL, i guess you have taken the extra step as far as the Curse goes Mark! :cool:

4. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

No Anime Network for my cable server. There is one in Connecticut that is carrying it, though, so maybe there is promise.

When I was able to compare all three versions of the same episode on the original BotP DVD releases, I noticed that GoS had the superior video quality, even better than the original Gatchaman. Maybe it's as simple as you said...it was made the most recent. But I think you're right...they're a good possiblity they did a simple VHS transfer. Although, I still seem to remember the quality being almost unwatchable when I saw BotP on TV in 1985. And I was very impressed with the quality of the movie on the UK DVD set.

I wonder if anyone has bought "The Best of G-Force" DVD thinking it was BotP. I feel for them. I remember many people thought GoS was going to be BotP when it came on the Cartoon Network back in the 90s and were thoroughly confused. We experts take for granted we know all about this.

I'm still tempted to get "The Best of G-Force." I don't know if I want it simply for my collection, or if I really want to view it. Even though I complain about that backbeat nonsense, it's probably one of the top "songs" that runs through my mind. I am forever...cursed?

5. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

I wonder how ADV's pending Gatchaman release will fare considering they said that they will be remastering the footage. I heard the Japanese DVD releases of Gatchaman were remastered so i trust that ADV will work wonders and provide us with the best video quality possible (well at least at much as possible considering the original films are more than 30 years old :eek: Who knows why GoS has the best video (and possibly) audio quality besides being the most recent adaption, maybe its because it doesnt constantly remain inside the vaults as its possibly the only Gatchaman series still running worldwide (it still runs in other countries such as South America & Mexico ive heard. And it recently ran on the Anime Network. Japan is notorious for not airing re-runs of their series, so Gatchaman might have had only a couple of runs and then was locked up in the vaults. BOTP remained unaired for more than a decade, possibly replaced by GoS worldwide, and its time in the vaults might have taken a toll on the masters. Dunno for sure, im only an up-and-coming videophile ;)

And Mark, if you want a good reason to buy the recent GoS DVD, then buy it for comparison purposes for the corresponding BOTP episodes! Half of the eps included were not adapted for BOTP BTW. And its cheap too apparently. Dubs have come a long way ever since the days of BOTP & G-Force, and are often very close to their original Japanese counterparts. Even after seeing recent fare, the G-Force dub is still decent at best and bearable at least, and can still stand a chance (albeit small) against todays more high-quality dubs. But most fans of anime today are big on accuracy to the original source and throw nostalgia out the window if need be, and whenever i ask or mention about BOTP elsewhere, people tear it to shreds similar to or even worse than the review on the link i provided, calling it the worst travesty, or "hackjob" as they call it done to a dub of a Japanese anime. G-Force recieves similar grief as well, although to a much lesser extent. I think its about the same everywhere ive seen (ridiculous names, sub-par production, backbeat etc.) Id rather see the stuff myself before judging it, no matter how bad the feedback is. I know when i get a DVD player of some sort im going to get the first 6 BOTP DVD's and the Best of G-Force DVD! If those standalone UK G-Force DVD's have any redeeming value then ill get those too.

And about the "infernal backbeat", i too share this "curse" and find it randomly popping up inside my head often, to which i proceed to "mimic" the backbeat. Which then leads me to hum the GoS opening theme, since the backbeat is basically the "backbone" of the GoS theme, and is derived from it. And it gets worse: when i walk down the hallways of my apartment building, which was built in the 80's and has a bland, 80's apperance to it, the backbeat just starts looping inside my head and if nobodys around, i start quietly humming it. Same goes for when:

-Im walking to/around an unfamiliar area:the backbeat seems to calm down my anxiety.

-When im bored or going through the same weekday routine: the monotone,workmanlike sound of the backbeat perfectly compliments these moments.

Is the aforementioned a result of temporary insanity? :dizzy2: No. A result of a long (and in some cases self-imposed) withdrawal from G-Force:GoS for almost 10 years? Yes. LOL, dont take it too seriously though, i dont get THAT carried away with my imagination. But very small doses of daydreaming and imaginative fare such as what i described (albeit mentally, never physically) is admittedly refreshing when you want to briefly get away from what can often be a stale,unexciting reality. Most would pass it off as insanity or immaturity though :confused:

6. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

This reviewer has serious issues with BOTP

7 ZARK 7 -We wernt fooled by him then and we aint now. In fact he makes BOTP more dark by being unbelievable.

LACK OF DEATHS -Unlike in Gatch canon, the public `are` interested in civil defence and the airforce `arent` interested in going anywhere near a mech if they have a radio controlled toy to play with instead. (just like RL)

For a seething indictment of inequality in the BOTP canon, watch `Demons of the Desert` The poorer folk of the federation have to get killed themselves. (just like RL)

People `do` die in BOTP, but its folk like aliens, cyborgs, disabled scientists...people who dont matter. (just like RL)

KEYOP -He `cant` (though I would amend that to `he can, if he keeps calm`) speak properly. We have to live with that. (Like my Yorkshire friends...)

QUALITY -couldnt they do better?