Anime Revolutionary Girl Utena

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Energizer Bunny, May 24, 2002.

?

opinions on the utena series

1. LOVE IT!!!

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. like it

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. hate it

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. havent a clue

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

hey anyone here seen this series? ive seen about half of it and all i can say is its interesting lol whats your take?

2. Odango_rose

Odango_rose New Member

I haven't seen any of it but I have read a manga, and it sounds good. it also has a spot in Animerica magazine.:)

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

it's very different. tho, i can fence so it has a different appeal i guess...lol. it's really funny when it gets going...the curry thing is great...tho i didn't know elephants could do that...

4. Chi

Chi New Member

It's one of my faves I gotthe movie and I love it. :catgirl:

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Rubbed me the wrong way.

Kind of strange the circumstances of seeing it. My sis bought the first tape from some Anime store out of town 'cause it was by the producers of Sailor Moon.

I watched it....and it was not only strange seeming, but stupid...at least it seemed that way to me. :p

6. chupito

chupito New Member

Dun have a clue!:eek: ...
    Care to explain?!

I'm not in the mood to search about it, please someone explain me?!:D ;) :rolleyes: :glazed: !!!!!!

Hugs

7. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Well I have seen 6 episodes in volume 6 (I guess) and I knew that it wasnt like I thought it was ..
    I mean people said that its like FAKE while its not ..

I am afraid what I am going to say will be a spoiler but .. oh well .. read it or dont read it .. its your choice ..

Utena was saved by a prince (which is said in the bignning in ever 3 episode - that I noticed that) and she promised her slef that she will be a prince in a return .. So ..
    Anyway .. she was fighting for her other friend (the *something* of Roses) for their friendship's sake .. not for any other reason!

It is not a spoiler after all huh :sweat2: ?!

I liked the anime .. I mean it wasnt so bad .. at least beter than SailorMoon thats for sure :sweat2::bleed2: !!!!

8. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I haven't seen it. Just a trailer, though, and it looks really cool. ^_^ I LOVE the song Rinbu Revolution, though. It is SO GOOD~!!!!!! ^_^ ^_^

9. Keita-chan

Keita-chan New Member

I loved it! But I didn't really get it...

10. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

Utena is brilliant. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. It's my favorite all time anime (next to SMJ), and if I were stranded on an island, I'd insist on having my tapes with me.

Matt ~ Tape one didn't really grab me either. It gets off to a slow and kind of confusing start. But it's well worth another look.

11. sailorvenus

sailorvenus 24 days to go...^^

Haven't got a clue. But I'm really curious 'bout it, so I think I'll make some research. But I heard it's good? Is it?

12. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

well, I haven't watched the series yet, but I've seen the movie. the movie and characters in it were quite interesting, but when Utena turned into a car.. that was a bit freaky.

car race into the real world? Utena has been released!

13. Keita-chan

Keita-chan New Member

It was really good, yet,really confusing. Why does her hair keep getting long, then shrinks?

14. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

<smacks fist into her other open hand> it must be a really bad barber trimming her hair. <nods>

yes yes, very good show

15. animegirllover

animegirllover New Member

Yes, yes, it was good a little.

16. Alien_Sacrifice

Alien_Sacrifice New Member

Rev. Girl Utena

Hey! I was wondering if anyone has seen this, if they liked it? I've read reviews on it and it sound Interesting. But different...Wierd even? So if anyone has seen it or has it I'd love to know what you think about it. Is it good or bad? Does it make sense? I read that it has a lot of metaphores? Is it worth checking out? -Replys Welcome!:)

17. Odin

Odin Member

I've only seen maybe ten episodes of the series (at most), but I have seen the movie all the way through. It's very different . . .yes, weird, but whether it's good or bad depends on your personal tastes. You just have to try it out for yourself to see whether you like it or not.

The series pretty much breaks down to this - the main character is Utena, of course, who is visited by a mysterious prince who gives her a ring that lets her duel in the dueling arena of her school. Anthy is the Rose Bride, who under the control/power of whoever is the winner of the duels (I don't remember the terminology . . . that is kind of what it is). The Student Council kind of runs the show, manipulating events, and lots of . . . stuff happens. Everything from a man switching bodies with a little monkey to a boy reminiscing about his past when he would play the piano with his sister. And lots of other . . . stuff.

Oh, and while I wouldn't say that yuri is the show's focus, there is a bit of it here and there (especially in the end of the movie). Also, Utena has made her own outfit to reflect that of a Prince, since that is what she ultimately wants to become . . . a prince, like the one who gave her the duel ring.

There is a heavy emphasis of symbolism in the show (So yes, you could say it has a lot of "metaphors"). You might get it, you might not - if you don't, then a lot of things will just seem very out of place and weird, such as the shadow play sequences, or the giant upside down castle above the dueling arena.

I personally don't like the show, but that shouldn't stop you from checking it out. I have some friends that love it - it has its good points, not to mention some decent music to boot.
    -Odin

18. Karuchan

Karuchan New Member

Utena Revolutionary girl

Out of all the animes I've seen and trust me its alot because my my anime dealer lol (we called him that because he was the go to guy for any anime) so many show I forgot most of their names my favorite has always been Utena. Is their any other fans of this show out their:confused: Or am I a sole outcast in theis anmated realm of ours?

19. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk New Member

I really like Utena, (Utena and Anthy are NOT gay! Why does everyone think they are!?)
    Utena is really cool with cool music and everything. And the animation is extra concentrated shoujo! So cool! And it's kind of... haunting near he end ne...? But ChuChu is just the BEST OF THE BEST!!!

20. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

they're not? I would have figured there's a reason everyone thinks they are.