Rurouni Kenshin Schools and Techniques.

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Hitokiri_Gensai, Feb 26, 2004.

1. samrui1

samrui1 New Member

If I might suggest about the meditation, one of the things I do alot is make up a seen in my head, and playing it out, move for move, then see what I can do to improve, see where I was open, so on and so forth. It has really helped me alot, and it has other good aplications as well.
    -Don't know if this is the right thread to put this, but might aswell:
    Now everyone knows that when a mother's child is in danger, they'll pretty much do anything to save their kid. Even those stories of mothers instantly being able to lift a car, or other a heavy object insantly, because their kid is under it. It's all in the adrenilan(sp?) rush. Every situation where u have to protect urself or others, be it family, friends, or strangers, it's human nature to help others. So u don't want to be attacked (and mind u, it's only those times that might never happen, but u should be prepared anyways) and not be ready. U should learn to turn on/off the rush when and where u need it. So, follow the above exercise, but set it up so that ur protecting a loved one, and you'll see the results. This will help u set urself up for an attack like this. Of course not every attack will be infront of u, but still, it can help. Just try setting it up to where u lose. In the real world, losing isn't an option in this kind of situation. BUT I'M NOT SAYING TO DROP THE PHISICAL TRAINING!!! U need to exercise the mind AS WELL as the body.

Hope u understand this. If u don't just ask, and I'll try to explain it better.

2. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

this is more directed to hiktori_gensai but ill listen to all suggestions. im self teaching myself swordsmenship but i dont think im training myself rite. i was wondering if u(or ne one else) culd help me. if u want me to b specific jus ask. heres my sn- cobraj309, if u want to im me w/ ne suggestions. thank u.

3. Sanosuke

Sanosuke New Member

As well as it is important to train properly, one should think about the physical and mental aspects very closely when they draw themselves closer to bonding with the sword. Also, conditioning your body to the motions that are all required of you in the martial art schooling you follow, is extremely important in avoiding any serious injury to your body when doing some battling scenearios..

Also, proper nutrition is important in keeping a positive mental attitude and physical well being. Its ridiculous to overexpect from your body since your body should be able to extend itself as you condition it to accept the techniques you teach it. That is, don't push yourself too hard that you hurt yourself and your self-esteem.

Someday I'll have to arrange to visit Hitokiri_Gensai and study up the ideaologies that he has gathered about the two schools of martial arts he has been studying for some ten odd years. :D I don't care how far I have to travel, I'll just go there and see him in action. Likewise, I offer to take him to Japan under my wings one day, too. :D

Sanosuke!
    Was in Japan July-Sept 2003, October 2004. Going back April 2005 or June 2005.

4. samrui1

samrui1 New Member

That would be fun, seeing him in action. :D Can you record it for me?

Good points Sanosuke.

5. S_Osborn

S_Osborn New Member

Craziness!!!

Hello everyone. I have been reading bits and peices of this thread and I am quite shocked. Please allow me to comment based on my insights and education and please do not be offended by anything I say.

First off, I do like Rurouni Kenshin, but it is FANTASY and ONLY fantasy. It was made up for entertainment, and I have yet to see any techniques that even come close to real kenjutsu. Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu is 100% fiction. Iaijutsu is a complementary to kenjutsu in that it is used to quickly initiate an attack. The main goal in any JSA(Japanese Sword Arts) is to kill your opponent in one blow. Also, it is very rare to see too much of the 'swashbuckling' sword-against-sword work. These so called "battoujutsu" moves cannot come close to authenticity. No JSA relies on "God-like speed" or "Incredible Strength", as the precision of the cut, the timing, and effeciency of the tactics are what count. This is not to say strength and speed were not important, yet not frequently relied on. A fast iai-draw is used to gain initiative, it is NOT relied upon as a total technique. It is to quickly terminate the target in one blow. Kenshin Himura was NOT a real person, however he -MIGHT- be based on a fellow named Genbe Takada who was a monk-turned-murderer and was -loosely- based on at that. A certain style of unorthadox kenjutsu called "Shirunai" was implicated by Takada, but is possibly fiction or miss-interperated, as it was never a legit school of kenjutsu. Shirunai-ryu also was apparently never passed on, and was believed to have been influenced by a samurai Taizo Miyabi (I think...) and was not a style of "iaijutsu". This I am a bit rusty on and if I have time one of these days I will check the names and a bit more about this supposed kenjutsu form, as I have only vague memory of it.

Some of the most incredible and unrealistic things from the RK series that I thought were quite humorous are:

1. Sakabatou: I knew some kid who came to a "LEGIT" martial art board that I regular and asked if there are any swordsmiths who make this fictional novelty. The sakabatou is a work of fiction. It is fantasy. No different than finding one of those cheap $20 dollar "highlander" swords with plastic tsuka. The sakabatou was created to express the schizophrenic ideals of Kenshin vs Battousai. If you want a weapon that will beat the living crap out of someone without killing them, use stick. The blows that Kenshin inflicted would indefinitly be mortal wounds. Even a bokken is an extremely dangerous weapon and can kill a man in one good blow if you don't know how to use it. Before trying to even pick up a bokken, please get proper training as you can easily inflict serious damage on someone. One of the great legends of Japan, Musashi Miyamoto, who won over 60 duels has easily killed many many men with use of only a bokken or two. He didn't need a sword.

Zanbatou: Hilarious! There is no such thing. It is about as crazy as someone wanting one of the FFVII Buster Swords! Someone made mention that they exist and are called "Nodachi." This is false. A nodachi was usually a poor weapon. Often dull, this two-handed long sword was used mainly to knock someone off a horse, and usually broke after a few uses due to the length. There are some exceptions.

Ougis: In Japanese martial arts, there aren't many "Secret Techniques." Relying on one's own training, strong will, and the right mentality is the way to victory.

As for someone who mentioned "Self-schooling", DON'T!!! I have seen far too many kids ending up seriously hurt by trying to learn techniques on their own, through books, and "instructional movies".
    If you seriously want to learn a martial art, look into local dojos in your area.

About trying to buy a sword: Buy it strictly as a decoration unless you are currently being taught in the arts and are told to by your instructor. Heres an example of a certain mishap to an inexperienced kid:
    A young man about 17 or 18 who decided he wanted to learn "The Way of the Samurai" went and bought a sword online. Bragging about finally having "A real sword", little did he know the sword he purchased was NOT a real sword. It was a factory made sword that is mass produced by Pakistan Trading Company. This fake peice of metal was made out of 440 Stainless Steel. Just because it is metal and it looked like a sword, this kid started copying moves he saw on a video. He then decided to try to test a cut against a hedge, and with two cuts the sword snapped and the end stuck into his leg.
    REAL swords are not made of stainless steel.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents to hopefully educate and save some possibly misguided souls.

Regards,

Sean Osborn

Edit:
    PS: Hitokiri_Gensai, just curious but if I may ask, what martial arts and styles have you practiced? Just curious. ^^

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Couple things myself,

Himura Kenshin was based on Hitokiri Gensai. Born Komori Genjirou he was later adopted by the Kawakami family upon which he changed his name to Kawakami Gensai. He looked into the spiritual arts but quickly found that he was more suited to the martial way. He learned Kenjutsu from Miyabe-Sensei but quickly developed his own unique style of fighting known as Furanui Ryuu. Its unknown what was truly used in this style but its recorded that he used a fairly low iai/battou stance. Its truly unknown whether or not Gensai was responsible for the numerous assassinations which took place, but his assassination of Sakuma Kyouzan in broad daylight is famous. After the coming of the Meiji he changed his name again to Takeda Genbe. Eventually his ideals of isolationism caught up with him and the Meiji Government had his charged on false charges and he was beheaded in 1871.

Everything youve had to say about the Sakabatou is true. Far too many people believe that its a real sword.

Well, i know ive never stated that the Zanbatu is real, however i did make mention of the No-dachi. According to the research that ive done, while they were poor in manufactor they were sharp, but were not truly suited for battle. Even for knocking someone off a horse. they truly were only for intimidation purposes.

well, i beg to differ on this point. While secret techniques like the Amakakeru Ryuuno Hirameki do not exist, many schools do have a "secret set" of techniques that arent passed on until a student is fully initiated into the dojo.

well, i think it takes a special ability or nature to self school. i definitly agree that most who try shouldnt. i too have seen many people injure themselves very badly by doing so. But, i am self schooled and have demonstrated my skills before accomplished martial artists who have praised my skill, while lacking, is extremely good for someone who has had no previous schooling.

i have put up many different guides to buying swords around this site and other forums that i run on. I know several people who think they have "the real article" when they simply have a piece of crap. The worst example of bad swords are the ones that are aged in china and sometimes etched with acid to produce a flimsy "hada" or even a fake hamon. unfortunetly, you cant even try to tell bidders on ebay because they always seem to think they know everything. Its truly sad to watch someone blow their money on something that isnt worth it. I personally am a fan of Paul Chen although many people dispute his works. I think, that his forged line is somewhat lacking but his folded line is exquisite. Although i dont have any of his folded production swords, he specially creates a line of blades for a martial arts company on the west coast known as Bugei Trading. I own one of their Dragonfly Katana and am extremely pleased with the sword. Many people who practice Iaido or Kendo have reccomended the Last Legend Katana lines which are extremely beautiful blades and although i dont own one am looking forward to buying an iaito from one of their blade families.

as for arts, i practice Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryuu and bits of Shinkage Ryuu.

7. S_Osborn

S_Osborn New Member

Ah, a fellow MJER student! Well met! I used to frequent the Bugei forums quite awhile ago, and I happen to own a Wave as well as a couple Sangyo iaito! Bugei, from what I have seen, sells the best quality lines available. I'll admit that for awhile I was skeptical of Paul Chen's work, but after buying a PK (recomended by my instructor) for tameshigiri, I changed by mind. While being lower quality, Chen's economy blades aren't bad at all. I just wish I could afford the drool-worthy L6 custom by "demi-god" Howard Clark! As for the Last Legend line, I don't think I have seen any, but i'll check into it.

Thanks for correcting me about Kawakami Gensai, as I only had a vague recollection of it. Very interesting.

As for the horrible Ebay scams, it is pathetic at the least. They were selling a so called "Authentic 16th Century Ninjitsu Nihontou" with a STRAIGHT blade, SQUARE tsuba, and COTTON tsukamaki and tried to convince the bidders it was an actual historical peice!! He even carbonized/whatever the blade so it looked worn and old. There was no hamon present and I would assume was bolted with a screw to the tsuka without a nakago. To top it all off, it had a scrap-wood saya with nylon sageo. Somehow, the ass-monkey pulled it off and got $275 out of it.

Other than that, I have also seen blades that, while having an antique look to it, had English serial numbers near the habaki and a exaggerated over-ornate saya.

8. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

well, it's really different from those things, but i'm learning naginata right now. yeah. after that, it's gonna be renmei or whatever it's called.

9. Hitokiri Tenma

Hitokiri Tenma New Member

I was raised in Japan untill I was 13. I learned kenjutstu at a young age from a friend, and since I came to america, I've been self-teaching myself.

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

what style did you train in? Was it in school like in a Kendo club?

11. Hitokiri Tenma

Yagya Ryu, as for where I trained, it was at my friends house.

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

Shinkage Ryuu? hmmmm i wasnt aware the Yagyuu Ryuu still stood as a proper school....i know that Shinkage ryuu which once was under the name Yagyu Shinin Ryuu was still around....

13. Hitokiri Tenma

Yes, I trained in shinkage ryu.