Rurouni Kenshin vs. Peace Maker Kurogane

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Zanza, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

This was part of HG's post here. But I wanted to use it as a starting for what I wanted to say.

I've recently seen "Peace Maker Kurogane" up to episode 13 (14 soon :p), so I might've missed lots of informations about "The Shinsengumi" in HG's post as said previously, but that was to avoid any spoilers ^^; (I hate spoilers). But, I wanted to know, which are which in both RK and PMK? And which part did PMK took compared to RK?

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Actually, Peace Maker Kurogane follows Japanese History rather closely.. except for a few characters such as Tetsu, Tatsu, Suzu, Suzu's boss(I'm not sure about that one though) and the pig.

Now Kenshin follows Japanese History rather well too except Himura Kenshin(Kawakami Gensai) was killed by the new government >_< But as far as I know RK is rather accurate about the Shinsen Gumi and even about Saitou having a wife named Tokio and how he changed his name to Fujita Goro. Although I heard that Saitou actually had a child with Tokio, which they never mentioned in Rurouni Kenshin..

If you watch the Tsukio Hen OVA's of Rurouni Kenshin that is the time period that Peace Maker Kurogane takes place, but on the other side.. Kenshin was part of the Choushu.

As well, for who was in the Rurouni Kenshin OVA who is also in PMK, I think Kondou Isami, "Souji" Okita, and Saitou Hajime were all that were identified.. but I'm sure the rest of them were there.

And as for which one I prefer.. RK definitely. It is interesting to learn more about the Shinsen Gumi and see it all animated, but the story of Rurouni Kenshin is more interesting for me.

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Yes Saitou did have a son, his great great grandson hosts a webpage about him (im pretty sure he does at anyrate). i really have to see this anime! >< stupid 56k dialup...anyway...from what ive heard its excellent and quite accurate. as for kenshin. in terms of accuracy its quite well, even the character designs are well done. of the people who stil have portraits around, that being Kondo Isami, Yamagata Aritomo, Ookubo Toshimichi and Saitou Hajime, Saitou is the only one not accurate...then again looking at his picture...well...id would have changed him a bit ^_^x;;;;; anyhow...ive always wanted to see an anime about the Shinsengumi as they're my favorite group. *i would have sided my strength with the Bakufu* I very much would have liked to have seen Japan stay a closed nation...

4. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Saitou's great great grandson has a webpage about him? How did you know? What is it? I think it would be really interesting :)

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

yeah...i think i got the link off www.miburo.com its in japanese, naturally...

6. Himura_Mitsuki

Himura_Mitsuki New Member

i've checked it out.... n guess what it's in English. Hooray!
    Not too sure about the webmaster being Saito's great great grandson though.

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

hmm...as i said im not all sure...but, i think it did say that he was...

8. Himura_Mitsuki

I'm surprised....

My friends who are long-time RK fan told me that it's rare to come to across an anime as good... n they do watch alot of animes... or perhaps they haven't caught PMK yet! :sweat:

Peacemaker is Goooood! The feel that I got from PMK is that same feeling I had for RK OVA :glazed:.The art is so well done and the plot is more realistic comparatively. PMK Okita, though a little too effeminate for my comfort, is as awesome, if not more, as he was in the RK.

I guess what PMK lack are a little silly humour which RK audience warmed to (not referring to d RK OVA here) and the lingering romance (maybe I'm wrong about this since I've only watched the first few episodes). Well I can't expect them to be the same can I?

Well whatever it is I'm just so darn glad to watch more of Okita :anime:

9. Hitokiri_Gensai

i really really gotta see this series...but from what ive heard, like you said, its very very realisticly done...

10. Himura_Mitsuki

Oh u must u must! hehe... Though I have read some feedback saying that PMK is boring. Hmm... maybe cause I've been itching to watch more of Okita Souji eversince RK first introduced him during the start of the Kyoto Arc.

So I guess if u think Shinsengumi is interesting then by all means watch this series! The characters r larger than life and made so cool :p.... oooh especially Okita *sigh*.

*Spoiler Alert* PMK seem to have subtle gay implications (well i might be wrong about this hahahah). Whatever it is, i dun blame those men.... the boys r so cute indeed hehe..*End Spoiler*

11. Hitokiri_Gensai

well, i will then hehe,

about the yoai implications, gay love was a highly excepted thing during the samurai times so, that may very well be.

12. Himura_Mitsuki

indulge me pls...

wah! is that true? Oh well... With boys so cool like these, I couldn't have resisted if I was a man either.

Anyway just caught all d episodes but I must admit that though the pace is abit slow, IT'S INTENSE... HELLA INTENSE. I remembered crying for many of the episodes afterwhich was blue for most of the day hahahhaha.

Guess that was how life was like for warriors during that period.... slow, intense and emotionally repressed *sigh*

Oh did i mention that it's hilarious (watch out d 3 comedians: Shinpachi, Heisuke n Sanosuke)? n that it's romantic too? heheheh

My verdict: PMK is a well done anime. The script is gd and I really wanna recommend this to girls especially (so so so many cute admirable characters), I must warn of the RK OVA sorta violence nonetheless. Hell, any anime that can make me cry is an articulate anime I say.

hahahhaha.... OH PLEASE LET THERE BE A SECOND SEASON!

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

after watching Rurouni Kenshin and Peacemaker Kurogane, I have to say that there are two very different standpoints at work. First off, if you first watch Rurouni Kenshin or the Rurouni Kenshin OVA, youll come to love the Ishin Shishi and youll agree with their ideals and the such. but, if you watch PMK youll come to hate the Ishin Shishi and completely side yourself with the Shinsengumi. its overall quite confusing ^_^x;;;.

SPOILER MAYBE

btw, if there are any fans of Yananami Keisuke, although im not sure if PMK shows this, but his ideals clashed with the Shinsengumi's and he fled from them. in the end Okita caught him and being a very old friend of his offered him the chance to escape but he said it was enough and went back to head quarters where he commited seppuku. he was a gentle, honest man and not really a warrior like the other Shinsengumi members. many of the Shinsengumi thought Hijikata was being far too harsh and eventually about 15 of the members escaped with Itou Kashitarou.

the list of the members that left is as follows:

Itou Kashitarou
    Hattori Takeo
    Abe Juurou
    Tomiyama Yabee
    Nakanishi Nobori Suzuki Mikisaburou
    Arai Tadao
    Kanou Michinosuke (Washio)
    Hashimoto Kaisuke
    Nakaumi Jirou Shinohara Tainoshin
    Toudou Heisuke
    Kiyohara Kiyoshi
    Mounai Kanmotsu (Yuunosuke/Arinosuke)
    Saitou Hajime

Now you might be thinking, "Saitou left!?!"
    Well, Saitou Hajime was working undercover for Hijikata. he would rely information back to the Shinsengumi headquarters and eventually assassinated Itou for disobeying the second law of the Shinsengumi which is "once in, a member cannot leave"

there was much other inner terbulence such as the traitor, Takeda Kanryuusai. He was the capitan of the 5th unit of the Shinsengumi. He wanted to leave the Shinsengumi and join the Ishin Shishi because they would pay him a lot of money. he was eventually assassinated before he could join the Ishin by Saitou.

at this point in time however, the Shinsengumi was well on its way out. no matter what Kondo and Hijikata did they knew the end was coming. Choshuu and Satsuma joined forces and soon the Ishin numbers grew, far too many for the Shinsengumi to stop alone.

On January 3rd, 1868, a cannon shot started what would be the final war (Boshin War) of the Bakumatsu. The Battle for Toba abnd Fushimi being the first battle. The Shinsengumi participated and suffered a huge loss of about 30 men including, Inoue Genzaburou Kazushige the leader of the 6th squad and Yamazaki Susumu *yes the shinobi* leader of the Shinsengumi spies. they eventually retreated to Oosaka Castle where they regrouped. the Shinsengumi only had 44 members now.

The Bakufu was now forming a group called the Kouyou Chinbutai which was based on the Shinsengumi. but by this point nearly 20 members of the Shinsengumi had fled leaving the Shinsengumi very underpowered. The Chinbutai and the Shinsengumi advanced on the Ishin Army and were totally defeated. the Shinsengumi retreated in hopes of regrouping and heading to Aizu. Kondo and Hijikata got in a heated fight with Harada and Nagakura. after the fight ended Harada and Nagakura split up from the Shinsengumi forming a group called the Seiheitai. in the end however, Harada left the Seiheitai and joined the Shougitai *the group that Yahiko's Father was part of*.

When the Shinsengumi retreated, they changed their headquarters to Nagareyama. it was here that they were surrounded by the Ishin Army. Kondo disguiesed as Ookubo Yamato, went to apologize but his disguise was seen through and he was arrested. Finally on April 25th, 1868, Kondo Isami was beheaded at the age of 35.

At this point, Okita Souji was at a Teberculosis hospital in Edo. When news of Kondo's death reached Edo he was never told and he kept asking about Kondo until his death while trying to kill a cat with his sword on May 30th at the age of 25.

In the first year of the Meiji, Hijikata lead what was left of the battered Shinsengumi to Aizu where they met with Matsudaira Katamori, who sent them to help the Bakufu forces in Shirakawa. given Hijikata's wounds, Yamaguchi Jirou (Saitou Hajime) was given command of the Shinsengumi. its said that he adopted guerilla tactics against the massive Ishin Army. They were defeated again in the Battle of Bonari and retreated again.

Finally, on September 4th, The Shinsengumi lead by Saitou engaged the Ishin Army in a devestating fight. almost every single member left was killed except for Saitou, who would later join the Kenkakukeikantai under the direct jurisdiction of Kawaji Toshiyoshi using the name Fujita Gorou. he would later become a security gaurd at a museam and finally died of a stomach ulcer from excessive drinking at the age of 72.

Hijikata Toshizou now lead the very last members of the Shinsengumi north to Hakkaido where they set up Goryoukaku as their new headquarters. Hijikata was named the Army Minister of the new Ezo country. Enomoto Takeaki ruled the last remaning outpost of the Bakufu. The Ishin army would let this be and began attacking Hokkaido. Hijikata managed to get a few victories in but was driven back in the end. On May 11th, the Ishin Army attacked what was left of the Ezo country, Hijikata was shot and died of this wound at the age of 35. His death symbolizes the end of the Bakufu Police Force, Shinsengumi.