Sakabatou

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Hitokiri_Gensai, Jul 29, 2004.

1. samrui1

samrui1 New Member

just wandering, is it possible to have an iaido that is as strong as a sharp katana?

2. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

yes. There are two Iaito produced by Paul Chen which are made from High Carbon Steel and Differentally tempered to produce a 60RC edge and a 40RC spine. Last Legand and Furuyama both produce iaito which are exact copies of their Shinken with 2mm rounded edges for saftey during practice.

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

that is considered spam, as it has nothing to do with the actual subject. please dont keep doing so or ill have to have you banned. thanks for your time
    Hitokiri_Gensai

4. LawaiGirl

LawaiGirl New Member

Now, it's been a *very* long time since someone last posted in this thread, but oh well, so here goes...

I'm definitely not sure how well a well and authentically made sakabatou would fair contact wise, but I found someone from Japan that makes swords for Iaido. They are selling a sakabatou (for around $500) made out of the same materials they use on the swords for Iado and is hand-crafted only by their skilled craftsman. I don't practice Iaido, but it is definitely one piece that I wouldn't mind have displayed in my home. It looks impecable compared to the other sakabatous I've seen up for sale. Now if only I could push away my bills for a while... =\ ^_^

Also, to those wondering if there are any actual sakabatos up for sale: Like Gensai said, there are quite a few up for sale in the market that range from poor to pretty good quality. The one I mentioned up above is probably the best one I've seen so far, though (even if it's unsharpened). But I'm sure you could find a swordsmith in Japan that'll custom make a sakabatou.. for a price. ;) Not to mention that if you get an actual sharpened katana you'd have to get it registered and then do something else if you're bringing it out of Japan. Quite a lot of stuff to do, but I definitely wouldn't mind getting a custom-made one *someday*.. It'd probably end up being like the third biggest life investment aside from the house and car. Haha!

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

yes, ive seen that one my self. as far as my research goes, thats the fine reproduction that ive ever seen. the koshirae (fittings) are all correct, the blade is even produced exactly as it is in the manga.

well.... if you even mention a sakabatou in the Nihontou community, youll be laughed at ^^x;;;. The Nihontou community is a very serious group of collectors and practictioners and such things like the sakabatou are toys and props and nothing more. and even if you found somone to commision this work, it would be THOUSANDS and thousands of dollars.

as for bringing swords OUT of Japan you have to have it registered with the Culturals Affairs Bureau as well as record the blade is leaving Japan, for what purpose its leaving and then you have to obtain a permit to do so. All in All is a VERY complicated task and takes some time time to do. The same is very true when attempting to bring a sword INTO Japan, but its even harder. Also, the military swords from World War II arent even allowed in the country, for the sake of being a representation of Japan's recent Militaristic past.

6. LawaiGirl

LawaiGirl New Member

Ah, but having found an Iaido sword-maker in Japan that makes a sakabatou is proof that there are smiths there that would make a real production of the sword. :) They mention that they can also help out customers that are looking to get a real sword forged.

Hence, my statement of it probably ending up as the third biggest life investment. >< :(

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

thats true, BUT, these blades arent quite made by smiths so much as manufacturors. There IS a smith in China that makes, semi authentic quality sakabtou but there not Japanese and far from being fully authentic.

8. LawaiGirl

LawaiGirl New Member

Oops, and by "there" I meant in Japan not within the company that makes the Iado swords. Though, who am I to say the company doesn't have a smith or knows of one? :anime:

9. Hitokiri_Gensai

well still, this company specializes in Iaito like Meirin Sangyo so its doubtful that they have a smith working within their company.

10. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

Smiths usually dont work in a company. They usually do the work themselves and have a small company. And speaking about the sakabatou, I recently went to the Renaissance Festival and saw they had a sakabatou there. I just sorta laughed to myself. I really hoped no one bought it but there probably was someone who did thinking he could be like Kenshin.

11. Takamatsu1986E

Takamatsu1986E New Member

Oh there's plenty of smiths that work with a company. It takes a lot of money to run a forge. You just never hear about them. You see "Bugei" or "Paul chen". There are smiths who run their own forges, but you had better have a killer job if you want a blade from one of them.

12. LawaiGirl

LawaiGirl New Member

Can't cut down on fans for being fans. :)

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm seeing as i havent been here in like.... uh.... yeah months.... (years?)

leseeeee....

i guess its my duty as mod to bring this post back to life...

hrm not much i can really say about the Sakabatou that i havent said MANY times before...

soooooooo im gonna dive a bit farther into the fittings and lengths and such.

lesee i sort of explained this all at the begining but seeing as how most rarely read the first post we'll go over it all again

first of all,

the Sakabatou is in typical Uchigatana fittings.

The saya is a black lacquered scabbard. no unusual fittings however it must be noted that the saya is made of iron with a wooden core. This being said, its use is simply for using certain techniques i.e. Sou Ryuu Sen and Sou Ryuu Sen Ikatsuchi.

the tsuka seems to be a fairly simple hineri-maki wrapping. probably black japanese silk over white same (ray skin). Menuki are nondescipt not really having any particular design.

14. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

I've got a question. no one has actually told me how to pick out a sword thats the right size for me.I have a 40 inch Katana that I have practiced with for quite a while.Know I am 6 foot 2 and I just wanted to know if the sword really is the right size for me?:confused: Up until I was 13,I practiced with wooden swords that were about the same size.

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm well those bokken would all have been far too long for you. the Nihontou was made to fit its master and it corrosponded with his hieight and his arm length. holding the sword at your side relaxed the tip should be just a half inch to an inch off the ground.

using bokken that length would have spawned improper stances and improper technique.

16. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

ahhhhhhh,so that would explain the reason I use to have trouble till I got older.Wow though,my sword does fit me,thats cool!
    Thankyou Gensai.Wow,I wish I was as smart as you.

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

what kind of sword do you use? what forge is it from?

18. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

hmmmmm,well I did know,but I forgot!It is a very cheap Katana I bought for $100 because I live in a not so rich family.But I have been saving my money and almost have enough for a paul chen sword!

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

ah. hrm. what Paul Chen are you looking at?

i would seriously advise against buying a Shinken simply because of the danger it posses.

20. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

I really don't know just yet,I heard they were some of the best swords,but I
    would like a sword that is very strong and I will be able to pass on to my children(If I ever have any:rolleyes: )But I take my swordsmanship very seriously and I want a sword that will be able to whithstand combat.I am still looking.
    The world is getting more and more dangerous were I live,and I need a sword I can trust my life with.Mabye the Pratical Pro Katana.:)