Creative Writing Samples from Creative Writing Class

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Chance, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

I'm going to dump all my creative writing assignments here for everyone to see the crap I have to write. Enjoy; It'll be updated all the time. ;3

Sound description - Diner
    The sounds were intense, steady thumps in the vast and spacious vacuum of my mind. Slightly droning and repetitive with the lack of silence, footsteps pounding across the linoleum floor while the whining of a radiator in the back caused a few of the patrons heads to turn. Clanking of mugs and cheap ceramic plates on plastic covered counter tops were met with the shuffling of slip on Keds that were just as worn as the elder waitress who graced them. The drinks poured into the glassware sloshed and gurgled while a coffee pot in the back sputtered the remnants of the remaining liquid.

2. Chance

About me Story [2 chapters]

Chapter one - Who am I?

My name is Katherine and though noone seems to get this, I am not as depressed as I'm made out to be. Realistically, I'm average and I'm fine with such a title, fitting the 'norm' as well as someone my age is expected to do. I go to school, I get yelled at by my parents and for the most part, I'm not all that fond of most people. Even with this said, I'm charismatic enough to pull off the nihilistic attitude and smart enough to know who I should mingle with and who I should leave alone. You'll know when you've been left alone.

I live in a small town, a navy town, in Southern connecticut. It's surrounded by water and industry, even if this tiny town doesn't exactly have much to show for it's existience. Just a Naval base, specifically submarines, where there is a school and such other things. I'm not all that fond of Groton, this town I call home, Yet I'm sure I enjoy it more then I want to let on. Silly me, I just can't make up my mind on the matter.

There arn't all that many goals I want to achieve in my life, nor can I come up with anything drastic and out of this world to put down as filler. I mean, outlandish ideas I've been toying with lately are moving away to Australia after high school or taking a long road trip after graduation with a few friends. Just us and the open road, really. But I've got more common sense then that, and I know I'm not moving to the outback. I'm not even sure I'll make it out of state on a road trip with all the preparations I have to make.

Other then the silly thoughts I have for my youth, I'm hoping to teach high school history. That's always been something I've wanted to do and as high school draws to an end, I feel compelled to act on impulse and get started with the work needed. Applications for college, letters of reference, SAT's and such. It's a hassle, it's a pain and most of all, it's essential. Teaching isn't some dead beat job like cleaning someone's windows, or serving drinks at a bar. It takes time and effort and years of school, just when I thought school was finished.

So, My name is Katherine. I have bad habits, and flaws. I tend to speak before I think, my eyes tend to close during movies and I never remember my cell phone when I actually need it. I was born in Bamberg, W. Germany and I say that because at the time, it was indeed still West Germany. (The Berlin wall came down a few months later.) I have morals and values, speak softly in person, have a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and am called Lucky by quite a few people.

Chapter 2 - Before me, there was everything and nothing.

Let me just clarify with you all, I am far from humble, and far from naive as well. When these two attributes come together, you get one very narcicistic and attention loving person. I don't doubt it, nor can I say I wasn't influence quite a bit by family to be this way. Now before there was me, there was just my parents and before them, their parents.. But I won't go that far back, since I really don't know the details to those couplings.

My father's name is David and from what I've been told, he's a neckbreaker. The term 'neckbreaker' is used in this instance to explain looks, not literal actions. My dad's a big guy, with this scary scowl of an expression that just seems to linger long after his anger has ceased. He smokes Newports, and he plays WoW and best of all, he's an E8 in the Army. Recruiting really, but I have no idea what E8 stands for. I just know my friends that are navy are weary of him.

Now my mother, she's NOTHING like my father. She's short and plump and has these big Milton Burle style glasses that always catch a glare. The woman looks like a mom, and is just that. No job since my sister was born, and no real need to get one since my dad makes enough. She's a little crazy at times, and can be a handful but she's my mom and I love her.

Now, my parents met in college through a mutual friend. After dating for several months, they got married and then my dad shipped off to boot camp. Now, they moved around for quite a bit afterwards until in 88', I was conceived. They were married in 84', so it took like four years for them to have me. Lucky them, I'm the miracle of life. ;3

I was born some nine months later, in Germany as I have stated, and after that we were a technical family.​

3. Chance

She watched the streetlight change color before taking a small step off the curb and into the deserted road. She could feel the calming begin and all but said thanks aloud for the fact. She didn't need to be spazzing out constantly, though things always seemed to end with her making some sort of shift. Police were all but thrilled to see her as a massive eagle, and often too direct action against her in such events. Golden Eagle, just a tool. Sad to think she really was an animal.

The wind seemed to watch up to her, and she huggled her afghan tighter to her bare shoulders; Dressed in a skirt and sleeveless top, she knew it wasn't appropriate attire for her. Better yet was the boots she wore, which tore away at her heel as she walked. Funny, but also fairly painful. Her long chestnut hair caught the light, gleaming as it lay over her shoulders, uneffected by the wind to remain glossy and naturally beautiful.

Her golden eyes were the only thing the give her away physically, shaped for the most part like the totem animal of her tribe. Bird eyes, eagle eyes. No more then predator eyes to most. What could you do about your birth though? Nothing, and knowing this, she didn't bother with it. She was different, so be it. Far be it from her to care much on the matter.

What was bothersome though, admittedly, was how few of her tribe actually resided in the city. They mostly lived in Tokyo, where she'd been up until the moment of truth when Taryn McNeil had seen her to be problematic, and so solved said problem by banishing her. For reasons unknown, some would say, while others knew it was over Arteo. That was a story best left buried, and Talon humbly took her punishment and so found lodging in Arcadia.

The sound of voices met her delicate ears as she moved along, and she quickly made a somewhat stop near the mouth of an alley. It wasn't anything too abnormal, more then likely a drug trade of some sort, and yet she remained where she was; Curiosity feeding her desire to know more.

"..And you think that it matters?" Spoke the first voice, horribly feminine yet obviously male by how the lisp played at the end of his question. She peeked around the corner briefly to catch a view, but looked back just as quickly as she'd peeked. The one who'd spoken was smaller, leaning back into the wall of the building she pressed herself to around the corner, and out of their view. The other of the two was cloaked and from the looks of it, something she knew to avoid.

"It doessss.. Yessss, yesss.. That issss all that matterssss in thissss cassssse. The Fae are no obssssstacle anymore. Leave them to me.." The thing laughed from under it's hood, flashing a toothed maw that resembled some sort of serpent. Talon closed her eyes, trying to keep herself on track. Servant of set? Lycanthrope? What was that thing?

"I leave it in your able hands then Cassio. Til then, enjoy the city.. And all it's delicious treats." Unseen by the eagle, The man's eyes flicked to where a bit of her shaw poked out from behind the corner and was shown to the two who'd met in secret. The other nodded to the man, then slithered using it's basilisk like body that lay beneath the robes of dark crimson and gold, ornamental robes of an unknown faith.

Behind the beast, the man simply vanished, showing more skill then most men could ever hope to have. There was trouble on the horizon, and Talon was almost oblivious.

Slither. Slither. Slither. Hiss. Hiss. Rustle. Rustle. Hiss. Like a snake and yet, not all snake. Something serpent-like but not quite. Different.

"Lamia..?" She muttered softly to herself, inaudiably whispered in a tongue most were not familiar with. A garbled message that sounded like to cooing of a dove.

Suddenly, a hand shot out from the figure who'd been steadily approaching, from within the robes; Attached to it's long, snakey body. A hand which lashed out to take hold of the Eagle's slender neck from the back to pull her towards it and into the alley. Her eyes widened, and she moved to pull away from the male, her voice suddenly dead in her throat.

"It'ssss a birdy. A treat, yessssss. Were you eavessssdropping birdy? Tssssk, tssssk." He smiled, looking to be snarling at the back of her neck. Pushing down, she was forced onto her knees in front of him, still turned away. "Are you sssspying?"

"No." She replied softly, blinking once as he released pressure from the fragile base of her neck. "I was just passing by. No harm, no foul. Well, one fowl, but no harm intended." Her joke wasn't funny, not even to her, and she quickly silenced herself more out of worry then necessity. She didn't need to anger the giant, mutated creature who had control at that moment; It wasn't her style to make enemies with giant animal beings. Not if they could swallow her whole atleast.

He backed up, or slithered back as was the case and asked in his low and usual serpentine voice, "Would birdy lie to me?"

"No, Birdy would not. You see, keeping in mind I'm a birdy, what I heard is actually quite good to hear. The Fae have whatever you have planned coming to them and I wish you the best of luck." She looked back just in time to see a forked tongue flick out, then back in, determining whether she was lying or not as most creatures did. Through taste or smell.

"Sssso be it." The snake replied finally after a small break of silence had filled their dark alley. He turned himself from her, and began slowly back down the alley towards where the passage branched and began to create a labrynth like maze through the industrial section of the metroplis.

"Wait!" Talon stood and turned to the fleeing beast, her golden eyes holding light even in the shadows where she was standing. "Look, I'm sorry.. My name's Talon. I really meant no harm." Curiosity dear, that's your flaw.

He only stopped briefly, long enough to take a look back to the small female eagle who had addressed him. "Talon? Thatssss a funny name. They call me Tobiasssss Cassssio." He replied stoicly, and with that, left her as she'd been originally; Alone and to her thoughts.

Talon stepped away from the alley in time, her thoughts not on how afraid she should have been, or how intresting the night was becoming.. But on how everyone in this city had remarkable eyes. Pretty eyes on dangerous fellows..

4. Chance

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Her heels clicked hard on the cement as she moved along rather quickly, her luminous golden eyes flickering from the people she dodged to the lights lining the small street. One above was about to die, she noted in approach, the illumination cutting out just as she and a few others passed under the lamp. She smiled almost playfully, thinking to herself just what she could do with her night.

Talon's hair fell in a long cascade around her shoulders, hiding her expression from most, if not all of the people around her. She wasn't trying to stand out, merely move along while she pondered just who Tobias Cassio actually was. A man, a snake, a priest? Far from ordinary, even in the proverbial melting pot of a new and open world. Arcadia, the city of endless promise and unfaltering tension.

"This is my city, Whoa Ohhh..." She sang softly to herself with a chuckle of laughter before making her break from the massive crowd to the side. Appartment buildings lined the small side street, with grand oaks that draped slightly over the road. Enough to hide the street from the light of the moon above, and the sight of anything that might choose flight as method. The eagle continued to click as she moved until content at where she was; Stopping to sit on the stairs of one of the brownstones.

Her hands moved to her heels, slipping the shoes from her delicate feet to fit them into her bag. Taking out another pair of shoes, ones more suited for someone who's steps were aiming to be silent, and she slipped into those without much fuss. Taking off her jasket, she folded it down and fit it into the bag as well so she was decked in a sleekly fitting top with a matching pair of jeans that hugged her curves rather well. The shoes made the ensemble work though, not only helpful but needed to look good. It was always best to look your best.

Slipping her thumbs to hang from her pockets nonchallantly, she began to walk again; Bag hanging inconspiciously over her shoulder, while large irridescent sunglasses kept people from noting her eyes. Her hair had been tied back in her change of appearance, tightly kept up in back while wisps of loose and feathery strands frames her lovely face. She looked her age, felt quite good and mostly was out and about for one reason.

Incognito questioning about a serpentine man who had plans for the Fae.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Hello?" She asked the receiver of her cellphone, glancing around the darkened street momentarily as though bored. Truthfully, she was slightly put off and deep in thought on the fact. She wasn't seeing anyone here, wasn't being spoken to nor being payed attention to. The fact was slightly bothersome to the Eagle, but the phone call took her attention from that matter and on to other things.

"Talon 'dances with flames' McNeil, Alpha Female Ragabash of the clan Wings of Nyte?" The voice asked softly, a hint of an accent peeking through.

"That'd be me.." She replied reluctantly, wondering who the hell had her number other then the clan members who still acknowledged her existience.

"Where is Ziggy Stardust?" The voice questioned bluntly, obviously not bothering to answered her unspoken question. The question that was asked of her was intresting enough though, one she never thought she'd be asked in her years of abandonment in this new city.

"Ziggy now resides in Tokyo." She said softly, without much emotion, knowing it was all too soon to make assumptions.

"Not anymore."

Click.

And that was it, the call over just as it had began. Uncertainly.

"What the.." She breathed angrily before snapping shut her phone and pocketing it once more in frustration. Someone was teasing her and she wasn't amused. "****."

So alone she sat, on the steps of the lonesome brownstone, deep in thought. Contemplation of many things; One standing out though. One really mattered.

"Ziggy, what trouble are you getting into now?"

Thump. Thump. Crash.

"****er!" Bellowed the eagle as she was slammed hard into the wall again. Her legs kicked at him, but did little damage worth noting. The hand around her neck simply tightened slowly, forcing her back hard against the wall so that her shirt rode up and the skin that was showing was beginning to burn and wear away. Similar to rug burn, it stung horribly and she could only trash violently to get away.

"Give me the goddamn information! NOW!" The Garou growled in retort, pulling her fragile frame back before giving it another slam into the wall. He wasn't messing around, his sharp toothed maw inches from her beaked face; Both stuck half shifted as he continued to bully her. "I want the damn truth, you punk pigeon. I'm sick of all the bullshit you've been feeding us and I'm sick of your little ***** attitude."

"Getoffa me! OFF!" She continued to cry out, blinking her eyes as her still human legs jacked themselves into his midsection. She wasn't about to tell him anything about the serpentine man she'd spoken with the other night. It wasn't any of his buisness and if she was right in her suspicions, the wolf only wanted blood.. She knew from his questioning of her. He wanted something to blame for problems within the city, problems not including Vampires of Fae or anything of the like but problems with Lycanthropes. Clans attacking other clans, crossbreeding of the species' and tribe totems suddenly neglecting their jobs. There was crisis and in such a case, there would be violence. It only seemed fair.

Thump.

Finally, as though bored of abusing her, the Wolf dropped her to the ground below. His eyes stayed on her though, set on hers as though trying to see past the golden orbs to something hidden beneath. She started to feel unconfortable under his gaze, maybe even for the first time since he'd called her out from her shelter, and she shyed her eyes to the concrete where she sat, crumpled.

Above, there was a snort of dissatisfaction. Simply stating how angry and frustrated he happened to be for anything in ear shot.

"So be it Talon. You have to make everything difficult it seems."

"No, I really don't." She countered as she stood and allowed herself to shift back completely to her human form. She viscissituded the skin back to show her female visage while what had began it's growth from her shoulder slowly sank back into her body. The downy feathers her arms and legs bore molted entirely, blowing then from her skin to the ground below. "I'm just not playing Devil's advocate to this petty witch hunt you have brewing. He has nothing to do with what happened to the Whiskers clan and you know it. We all know it; And a ploy like the one you're trying to pull will do nothing more then ignite more controversy among those involved. Orion will get involved. Angus might as well. I mean, do you even think things through?"

She was tired of this bullshit; Tired of all the things that came with being as she was. Sick of Beasts.

"Let them get involved. I'd like to see them take on the Silent Striders. Or the Red Talons. Maybe the Children of Gaia..? They can do nothing alone. And these are independants we're talking about; Not actual clans. They travel alone and they hold no real position in council." He smirked suddenly through the change in his appearance, his jaw, mouth and teeth completely reforming before he added with a chuckle, "They're like you. Pathetic and alone."

She didn't comment again, just pushed past him in a show of her obvious anger. Leaving him to the darkness, she exited through the mouth of the alley with a disapproving scowl. She didn't care if all the tribe and clans ripped one another apart, as long as they left her alone. He was right when he said she was alone. But pathetic, she was not.

5. Chance

Chapter 3 – The trials and tribulations of a Child Prodigy

See? Did I not tell you I was self obsessed? And I meant it too, with every fiber of my being. Now, I’m not one to brag but I have in fact been called a genius before. Not just a genius but innovative. Now, it doesn’t take all that much to do well on those cheap tests they give you; to bullshit your way to the top as it may be. But to be truly innovative, that is real genius. If you can create, think outside the box and just let creativity itself flow, you are prepared to face any challenge.

Now, my first real memories involve being young and stupid. I was three at the time and I guess my mother had told me not to play around a red ant patch we had in our yard. Now, being foolish and often lacking in real respect for the woman, defiance allowed me the initiative at such a young age for the act of rebellion.

I lured the ants to me by dropping food in a line from the ant hill to the front porch of our small house in Georgia, then just sat and waited for them to come to me. Now, this turned out to be a bad thing but even so, it keeps me smiling all the time. I love thinking about how much thought must have been running through that young mind of mind. From birth til now, how much have I thought on or about?

I never went to pre-k, but upon beginning school at the age of 5, I soon was one of the brightest in my class. Pronunciation was impeccable, spelling was rather good and of course, and there were the creativity levels. I painted, I drew, I wrote, I did everything. The real multitasking seemed to begin when everyone else was struggling to read at the state average and I was just breezing through the 2nd grade level reading material.

I know you’re thinking, what a ***** to brag. I know you probably haven’t any real interest in this small bit of my life, but I don’t care. You’re still reading so the satisfaction must be in there somewhere for you. Whether this be part of your job or just something you stumbled across, I commend you all the same. It takes time and effort to really allow what I write sink in.

6. Chance

Chapter 4 – So you’ve heard it all before?

I think not. See, you haven’t heard anything until you’ve heard my story. I know, I know... Means nothing to you. Right, we did in fact cover this. BUT so? I can keep talking about it anyway.

MY elementary school days were bring and uneventful besides my exceeding understanding and degree of excellence. I mean, they adored me and I in turn made the school seem worth all the tax dollars sunk into it. It wasn’t like the school was special in any way either. I grew up in San Diego, having moved there right after my brother Zachary was born in 93’. I went to a militaryesque school, buried in the military housing near the seaport. Far different then most institutes of education, it was all based on academics, sports and extracurricular activities stripped to the bare minimum.

I didn’t mind. I mean, why would I? I grew up tall and thin, not big on many sports or clubs or anything really to do with school. Now, this doesn’t mean I didn’t do sports at all. I was in Track, I played Volleyball and I swam. I actually like sports quite a bit in moderation but when they become everyday things, they bother me and I usually lack the motivation to really succeed.

I kept my grades fairly high, but never letting them reach their full potential due to my lack of real interest. I did well on state issued exams so to keep the school afloat. There were so many students in my school, an elementary school even, that were running the streets and blowing off their lives. So young, still naïve.

I think the only thing I regret about my younger years is how often I was grounded for stupid ****. I would run away from home for an hour, or come home an hour late and boom. My parents had me grounded, the bastards. Don’t really mind it now since I’m old and wise and I really haven’t had much to fight with them over since I was much younger but even so, it would have been nice to have those weeks back to use for other things.

Now, I have digressed… Quite a bit I might add since the title of this chapter hasn’t even bee mentioned yet. I chose it because, as you may have guessed, I’m not normal. I refuse to be normal because that is the downfall of most intellectuals. To be individual, you need to be creative and conformity kills such things often enough. Now, don’t label me as one of those ‘don’t label me’ kids. I’m no Goth, no emo, no bullshit ghetto kid, no jock, no nothing. I breeze by as I am, always. And I never needed a category to fit into because I never felt the need to have one. I am my own category, and for me, it’s enough.

As for the words other people use to describe me, it depends. I’m quiet, I’m selfish, I’m tiring, and I’m weird. I’m this, I’m that and beyond what is said and what is assumed, I am still me.

"Don't fret precious I'm here, step away from the window
    Go back to sleep
    Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,
    See, they don't give a **** about you, like I do.
    I’ll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons.
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son.
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you…
    Isolate and save you from yourself …"

7. Chance

Five Characters
    Katherine ********
    Creative Writing
    11/8/06

Character One: Adrianna
    Human
    Idea: Born around the time of the fall of the Roman Empire, Adrianna was raised by a wayward uncle and his second wife. Being their only child so to speak, adrianna was treated fairly well and accepted into the small home as one of its own. The older she grew, the more responsibility she held in the small household until one day she was asked to take the livestock to the nearest city with her Aunt for selling. Upon entering the city though, she was arrested in a case of mistaken identity and was hung from the gallows the next day. =O

Character Two: Chance McKay [Clan Name]
    Brujah
    Idea: Born in New Zealand near the turn of the century, Chance went through the embrace at an early age; taken in by an elderly Vampire and his seemingly happy troupe of fledglings. In time though, she realized the kindred she found herself living with were in fact hoodlums and treated one another with little if any respect. These were Vampires who only respected one thing: Power. So, Chance took this as her sign and eventually killed the leader of this Brujah clan. Taking control of the clan for a short time, she was soon bumped from the position by Allister McKay, who still runs the small cluster of Brujah Vampires out of New Zealand.

Character Three: Chanceux “Lucky” Cairo Vereaux
    Fae Matriarch
    Idea: Born into the power of the Vereaux clan, she soon took this as a sign from the gods that she was not only meant for great things within the clan, but through out the world. Moving to a large, mostly human filled city, she soon began performing miracles before the very eyes of the mortals and soon was a sight noted to tourists in hopes to bring more income in to the already prosperous ocean front New England town. Soon though, the other immortals of the city grew weary of all the attention to their kinds, so they sought out the Fae and challenged her individually in hopes of killing her. None succeeded though and she continued to rule her clan and most of the city as the celebrity immortal. She married a Toreador Vampire and birthed one child with him by the name of Fortune. Sadly, after the birth of her child, she was attacked and seriously injured by a one time lover. Unable to heal, she allowed herself to try for an evolution in hopes of strengthening herself and surviving but she couldn’t make the evolution and in turn died.

Character Four: Fortune Caraf Vereaux
    Fae Prodigy
    Idea: The only legitimate child of Lucky Vereaux, she took the position of Matriarch reluctantly and ruled with a loose and almost nonchalant attitude on clan matters as well as matters of the city. She found the city itself to be most dreary and moved the clan in its entirety to a different city on the west coast. Warm weather and humid nights didn’t seem to lighten the load of ruling a clan she didn’t want though, and she kept a constant reminder of her position in her wings in the form of several piercings. Her relationship with her mother had been short lived and the one she held with her father was almost non existent yet even so se cared for him. He was all she had left.

Character Five: Orion Black
    Rabbit Lycanthrope
    Idea: Born and raised in the industrial Lycanthrope area of the Tokyo downtown area, she was a success at computer hacking and money management within her small tribe. The whiskers was their name and they were thieves in the area, specializing in computerized heists that often went smoothly and right under the ever watchful eyes of the Japanese government. At 18, she was already the best in the small province of Tokyo and some of Aikido, yet she wanted more from her job. So she moved away from the clan and what safety their numbers had brought among the numbers of predator Lycanthropes to see how well she could do working alone. She spent several months happily ignorant to the thoughts of any danger while her work brought more and more attention to her. Finally, she was tracked down by the local wolf clan and raped numerous times before left for dead. Found by one of the members of the black cats, she was taken in and cared for until well again. She moved back to Tokyo, and found her clan once more for one last heist. Taking into mind the Wolves owned more then half of all the clubs in the industrial district, Half the clan ran operations to smoke the places out while the other half had the Elk Tribe ready with silver plated buck shot. Long story short, Orion gets revenge and ruins more then a few or the wolves faces.

8. Chance

Katherine ********
    Soap Description
    11/8/06

The bar sat untouched, still sudsy and slightly damp from the last time it was used. Imprints in its surface showed that tiny hands had been at play on it’s face; having worn away the letters that had once bore witness to just where the soap had come from. Nameless now, it was still just soap with a scent that was almost unimaginable from the distance I was at. I merely watch the thing, almost interested but not since there was very little for me to take in. Just the color, which was a soft sea green hinting at the evergreen fragrance the commercials had advertised, and the very distinct shape it had. It was almost like a crescent moon on one side, looking like a piece had broken off of it in recent times while the other side remained flawless.

9. Chance

Coming soon.