Recreation Search For The Lost Server...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BakaMattSu, Sep 12, 2001.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Okay, here's my tragic story:

-I went to upload some files to update my "Castle Japones" webpage this morning, and *boom*, my entire directory has been cleaned right out!

-Somewhat set back by the loss (but relieved I still maintain backups on file at home), I proceed to make one of those temporary page indexes (Y'know, the kind that say "Sorry, we're currently down." so you don't get that ugly Geocities Unavailable page display junk...), but it seems that Geocities has completely stopped all of my file transfer to it... [​IMG]

-I'm currently awaiting an answer from their technical support, but if I don't hear nothing...

Anyone got any ideas of a good (free) host to move to? Well, a decent one, mayhaps...or failing that, any?

BakaMattSu, peeved, distressed, angry, and just generally still in a bummed mood....

2. TamaKameKami

TamaKameKami Lord Tama

Angelfire

------------------
    -Tama, Kame no Kami
    "Tama, the Turtle God"

3. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Well, I moved from Geocities to Angelfire. (mostly because I needed more space). I haven't had any trouble with it, except for the rare server down.

Also, I noticed with Geocities(or pagebuilder) that all my pictures became a lower resolution, so far my new image gallery I made in Dreamweaver 2 looks okay. I hope to put it up soon.

I don't think it's a server problem with geocities since I can still load up my page...unless there is some new service policy stating that you can't have fanfics (that'd be stupid!).

I'm glad you have backups Matt due to the greatness of your site [​IMG]

4. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

huh.. wonder what happened. My gimpy site on Geoetc is still up. Angelmire is ok for the space and the price I suppose. Just don't try to post images from it in a forum...
    --------------
    bleh

5. That guy!

Hey did you get an e-mail similar to this Matt?

"Congratulations, http://www.geocities.com/xenoexistence is
    very popular and has been receiving a large amount of traffic. Your
    site has become so popular, in fact, that our records indicate that
    you're using more than the allotted amount of data transfer we provide
    for a free web site, which is 3GB/month (measured on an hourly basis).
    That means at some time during the past few days we had to turn your
    site off until the usage fell within the prescribed limit."
    -civics@geocities.com

I didn't know it reached 3GB/month already!(I wish people would sign the guestbook [​IMG] ).
    The old site is just a redirect to my new one now...had to put robots.txt in there so I wouldn't have any crawlers go in there anymore(I wonder if they worked).

--------------
    Hey Matt, your site is back up now [​IMG]...But if you still prefer to move it so this doesn't happen again then do so. Although you'd have to have a redirection link.

Oh yeah, can anyone tell me how I can automatically redirect someone using html?, thanks

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yep, I'm up after several e-mails to technical support. It seems I was suspended due to some of my files being merely stored and not used (backups of course)... SO, since most people know where to find me (and re-directing is one of their reasons to suspend your site)...I'm gonna stick with geocities fer now...

BakaMattSu, noting that automatic redirects can't be done with HTML tags...you'd need some kind of scripting, but you can provide a blank page with a link in HTML...

7. That guy!

doh!...hmmm, maybe I should delete my geocities site. Although wouldn't search engines direct people to nothing then? I hate when this happens to me...and I don't want others to have the same problem.
    I'll have to wait until the search engines look up my new site and then I'll delete the old one.

-------
    can't wait for the after affects of Wisdom Teeth extraction to wear off...@_@x OroOoOoOooo

------------------
    LOVE AND-A PEACE!!! *V*, LOVE AND-A PEACE!!! *V*, LOVE AND-A PEACE!!! *V*

8. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

It would be pretty easy to do an automatic redirect. I don't know it off the top of my head, but I'll look at it later tonight.
    -----------------
    of course if it's being deleted, who cares?

9. That guy!

Thanks MO.
    Sorry if I'm annoying anyone...kind of in a bad mood.

-------------------------
    [​IMG]