Seta Soujirou or Okita Shoushi/Soujirou

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Hitokiri_Gensai, May 5, 2003.

1. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

the link to what?

2. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) To that page you posted on.

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

4. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) Thanks for giving some information, I read the link.:D

5. C-chan

C-chan New Member

Here's a link to an excellent website detailing the history behind the Shinsengumi. Serizawa Kamo's biography page I use it quite a lot, and I hope you find it just as useful as I have. ^_^

6. C-chan

C-chan New Member

Hitokiri_Gensai, I just read the thread you linked to. Looks like we both use the same source. ^_^

7. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:D Yeah, thanks, I read that page a lot. I wounldn't mind reading again, I still don't get how Okita's ended up Seta Soujiro's hands though.:)

Attached Files:

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

heh i just took his info and simplified it a bit took out the not-so important details...anyway...

9. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) I can reread the page.

10. C-chan

C-chan New Member

Not-so-important details? How so? I find the whole thing fascinating. I even have all 3 pages of his website printed out for me to peruse anytime I want. ^_^

On a side note, I want to get my hands on a translation of Moeyo Ken. It sounds like a fascinating book. :D

Now back on topic... Even though I'm rather fond of Seta, I like Okita even more. Okita is a more well-rounded personality than Seta, which is no surprise since Seta's whole persona was stunted as a result of his childhood trauma. Like Seta, Okita was a child prodigy in swordsmanship, earning the rank of Menkyo Kaiden, one who has attained the rank of master swordsman and has mastered all of his school's techniques, including the ougi. Despite this accomplishment, Okita never displayed any of the arrogance some master swordsmen affected. In fact, he was well-known for his humble, easygoing personality, and was a favourite in the troop. He was the charismatic type, providing the buffer between the troops and Kondou Isami, the rigid warrior-leader, and Hijikata Toshizou, known among the samurai of the time as the "Demon of the Shinsengumi" for his mercilessness. The leaders of the Shinsengumi well understood how much Okita affected the men's morale for after they found out about Okita's condtion (his tuberculosis), they decided to keep quiet about it so that morale would not be affected, a decision which Okita agreed with.

The Shinsengumi were known as fearless fighters, and utterly loyal. In fact, their flag bore on its face the Japanese character for loyalty, makoto. And the Shinsengumi lived up to their creed, staying loyal to the very end. Okita also personified that loyalty, as one particular incident shows. One of the very first Shinsengumi members, Yamanami Seisuke, left the Shinsengumi suddenly, perhaps because of a conflict of beliefs. He was a friend of Kondou, Hijikata, Okita, and others from before the Shinsengumi was created, but he left the troop, not because of their harsh laws or because he switched sides, but because he didn't agree with what they were fighting for. But to leave the troop is an offense punishable by death, even for a high-ranking officer and lifelong friend of Hijikata and Kondou, so Okita was sent to retrieve him. To quote a website:

And before people misunderstand Hijikata's seeming cruelty, I again quote:

Well, since I seem to be rambling about now, I guess I'l close with another quote, this time by Kenshin, about my favourite samurai group, the Shinsengumi. ^_^

11. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) I like Seta as well, Okita has a personality I like very much. I know there's a difference between Seta's attack style and Okita's attack style, Okita has the 3-piece thrust attack style and Seta has the Shakuchi and the god-like speed just as Kenshin.:cool:

Attached Files:

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

Okita's Three step pierce as well as Saitou's Left Handed forward thrust were both based on the technique created by Hijikata Toshizou. Shukuchi known as Choushin Soku Shukuchi or Ultamite God-speed.

13. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:D I knew that Okita's 3-piece attack and Saitou's left-hand thrust were base on the attack Hijikata Toshizo had created, it's that I didn't know that the Shakuchi or the Choushin Soku Shakuchi had meant Ulitmate God-speed. But didn't Seta Soujiro's speed surpassed Kenshin's speed?:)

14. Hitokiri_Gensai

yeah thats the point

Houji: so then soujirou's speed is the speed that the human eye can't follow?
    Shishio: no thats battousai's speed at its best. Soujirou's speed is the speed that the human eye can't see.

15. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) Okay, I get the point, but there is a difference between Okita and Soujiro.:D

Attached Files:

16. Okita

Okita New Member

Yeah, there's a large difference between them, especially their personalities, in my opinion.

But, while we're on the topic of Sou and his speed, I disagree with the the end of his and Kenshin's second battle. I finally saw it last week, and what happened was wrong! During the final contest of battoujutsu, it was said that both Kenshin's and Soujirou's speed was equal when they started towards each other. Yet, it was said earlier that Soujirou was faster than Kenshin and that Seta and the Shukuchi surpassed Kenshin's speed. He even dodged the un-dodge-able Kuzu Ryuu Sen! If they were indeed moving at equal speeds, then the outcome was reasonable: Soujirou lost momentum by not taking the extra step and Kenshin didn't. But Soujirou would have had more momentum anyways so the outcome would've been equal at best! And Okita's sword wouldn't have broken :eek::glazed::blush2::bleed2::sad::mad::anger2:

But I'm beginning to ramble and prefer not to think about the fate of the Kikuichi Norimune in RK T_T, so I'm done.

17. Christabel

Christabel New Member

they just wanna make kenshin win in the end so they make it so.

18. Okita

Okita New Member

I know...but I still think they shouldn't contradict themselves... They should've thought of a more applicable solution, like Kenshin being able to draw his sword faster than Soujirou in the beginning, which may have been true but they didn't state that at all in the explanation. Since Kenshin cracked :sad: the Kikuichi Norimune in the beginning of the battle, he may have had sword-drawing skills greater than Tenken no Soujirou, but that wasn't mentioned at all... But I'm rambling again.

19. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:D Does anyone how much faster was Soujiro?:)

20. Christabel

Christabel New Member

You're right Okita. First they make so that it seemed Soujiro is faster than Kenshin can ever be. Then suddenly at the end, Kenshin can suddenly match Sou's speed. I'm pretty dissatisfied with that too. At least Kenshin beat him on the ground of something else.