Should Akamatsu go action?

Discussion in 'Akamatsu Ken Works' started by Yellow_13, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Yellow_13

Yellow_13 New Member

Ken Akamatsu, creator of the popular romance series Love Hina, Negima, Mao Chan, and AI Love You has a reputation for being possibly the worlds best romance manga writer. Throughout his books, he has also used action thoroughly, and has thusly caught the readers attention by using multiple features, such as the action, to lure the readers. Of late, his books have been trending more and more towards the action category.

Do you think that Akamatsu should go action in one or two of his series? :glazed: Why or why not? :dizzy2:

2. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

I really can't see him doing action related stories, unless it contains some chick that really owns. But you never know, he might do a great story with Motoko or something.

I know Izzy will agree me on this!

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yellow 13, Akamatsu's "Action" usually comes from the stem of "Dumb/Slapstick Comedy".

It's always done in humor. Even when Motoko, in all her seriousness, was training to use the Ni-no-tachi technique, Keitaro was the comedy relief.

Even when she was training on the roof doing forward-slashes, Keitaro was there...thus, being comedy relief.

As Teddz said, he's more of a pervert than action. And, no matter how he evolves his stories....most of them WILL be more pervert than action. Negima, being newer, is even WORSE than Love Hina in terms of H-ness.

4. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I have to agree with Izzy. Nearly all the action i've ever seen in Akumatsu's manga's (though i've only read Love Hina) are al based around comedy. In the entire love hina series the only real serious fight there was without the comic relief was when Keitaro fought Seta in the Todai Ruins and when Motoko took on her sister, so that he could marry Naru. Other then that all the other action revolved around Keitaro getting smacked around for walking into the bath/feeling up Naru.

So i don't really see Akumatsu doing anything that is heavily involved in fighting.

5. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I wouldn't say Akamatsu is the world's greatest romance manga writer. He's more into romantic-comedy rather than hardcore romance.

As for "action," I think it just wouldn't work if Akamatsu did a series that was action rather than romance/comedy. Let's say he made a super hero mech manga with only the slightest hint of romance and comedy, and was filled with flying and fighting. People would go "that's so unlike him!" And his fans would go "Waah, I'm not reading that shnazz!" So yeah, he shouldn't "go action" even if in just one series, cuz people would think it just wouldn't match. There are already a lot of romantic-comedy artists who COULD do great action, like Rumiko Takahashi (who does Ranma 1/2 and Inu Yasha).