Should BJP loose it's inactive members?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Seishin, Feb 5, 2006.

?

Should Inactive members be deleted?

1. Yes

55.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  3. Whichever one gets picked highest, I really don't care

5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I'm starting this thread due to the fact that it wasn't the point of this thread.

It's simple really, we're all aware that BJP has inactive members. And lots of it. So the question is, are you for, or against users being deleted?

For me, inactive is:
    *Over 6 months of membership, but has not logged on over the last 4 months
    *Less than Ten posts with more than 6 Months membership (Can be overlooked if user still logs in)
    *Older than three years, less than 100 posts, no activity for around six months.

I don't know if I'm allowed to make such thread or not, if I'm not, the it can be deleted.

-Seishin

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I'm moving this over to Feedback. I've noticed in the list of member names typos or similar nicks of active members now.. I know of some members who had one nick they used for a few days then made a new one and have continued on only using that nickname. I think those nicks could be posted in a thread or PMed to the admin for deletion. Other than that, I know this issue has been discussed before, if not in public, in the moderators panel..

3. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

I say yes. I think that users who have been inactive for 1 year or more should be deleted but those with over 1000 posts should have the honor of keeping their name.

4. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

As Ciel said (and as I pointed out in the other topic), this has been discussed before.

My personal opinion is, I really don't care. About the only thing getting rid of old names does is free up the same names for new members (and honestly, how many people want the name 'InuXKagome4eva5524' that this would be a problem?); it's not like a new user takes up a whole lot of space on the server (though I can see where a lot can add up). I just don't see the point.

1 person likes this.
  5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

It was related to the other thread, if not the actual focus, but ehh.

Yes, I think we should clear out the dead weight. If only to have a more accurate count of actual users.

I stand by my pre-existing guidelines for a prune, though.

> 10 posts, < 6 months registered, < 3 months since last post.

Searching on the memberlist with those criteria, yields 2157 results. Quite a bit of uselessness if you ask me.

6. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

Yeah, I would get rid of those members. With respect that anyone can debate the guidlines for who is considered inactive.

7. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

Oh great, I was the only one who voted for "no" option.

Go teh minority!! XD

Anyways, inactive members might always come back (I hope).

8. Alexander_Rakov

Alexander_Rakov New Member

Yes, however, due to my 4 years of forumS administration, with more then 20 000 members registered, I think its a good idea to to delete users every 6 months, of inactivity.

9. Orion

Orion Gears

I would have to say yes. The point of signing up as a member of BJP is to post and be active. Most of our members sign up and never come back, or post only about 10-15 times then leave forever. I say yes, it's time for BJP to be pruned.

10. Seishin

Seishin Guest

[Again]:p
    The only thing I have to say to that, is that my suggestion is that we don't obviously take out EVERYBODY. For instance, if a user has ten posts, and hasn't come for 3 or 6 months, yes delete the user. It looks as this user is never gonna come back. But in the case that the user DOES come back, is only 10 posts, I don't think anyone would really go nuts over ten pots or so.

For higher posters with no activity, i'm not sure what to say for those. And when I say higher posters, I mean 100+ posts.
    I don't think Noobs will be capable of ever doing that. One, new users most likely won't know that this thread took place (a while from now), and besides, how can they send a PM to Cloud if they're not registered, or know that they can even send him a PM about this matter. But hey, y'never know.:D

-Seishin

11. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

I think it's time BJP cleans out it's room. With that many members inactive, they should be deleted. I think though they should be given a pm first. Some of them may have a good reason. I know for a fact that H,M,R Masters' computer has been away getting fixed so reasons like thouse should be excusable.

12. Reisti Skalchaste

PMing several thousand inactive members is perhaps a little much work. A mass email might be a good idea, but I guarantee Cloud'd get a hell of a lot of "Who are you and how did you get my email?" replies.

In any case, the whole point of registering is to post, of course. It's been said. If a user registered, posted like, once or twice and disappeared for a year, chances are that if he does come back, he's not going to remember that he registered before.

13. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

I would say yes to getting rid of inactive members only if they havent posted for an extended amount of time....like reeeeeally extended...say maybe a little over a year? But I also agree with me_dreaming_zzz that members can always come back after a long time without posting. Ive seen it happen on other forums as well as here.

14. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

yes please do that..i agree fully

15. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

Some of us who have been out for a long time will come back.
    Life in my case, is being really tough. I come here once in a great while to PM some friends I made and just take a look around (which explains why i'm here); I can't afford the time to read, post and respond like I used to, so i'll just toss in my thoughts and be on my way.

I do think everyone will agree to delete those who have been here for some months, and only posted 0-2 posts. I do believe doing that will glean much fat from the member list with unanimous support.

Becareful tho when deleting members who are in the grey area (have posted less than 100 and are inactive). Regardless of post count, some of them are members of this forum's past, contributed to it and deserve to at least remain. I donot think we need to clear that much space as to consider eliminating these kinds of memebers.

16. Reisti Skalchaste

How many times do I have to say that's exactly what's being suggested? :p

Pasted primarily so it'll be displayed at the top of this page

17. FireDragon_16

FireDragon_16 A Sionbosys Unit

Yup

Itzz fine with me...:cool: DELEEEEEETE

18. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I voted yes. I think there a lot of names that could be used by other people. Unless you are like me and use your name over and over again chances are you forgot it. Plus who would keep the email from when they joined anyway?

19. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Yes, we do :)

ANyway how about e-mailing the member to tell that he must login and post, or else?

I've REALLY been busy these months, and haven't had time to post :( I wouldn't like to come back and see my account suddenly deleted.

20. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

I say No..

Are these Inactive members hurting you in Some way??? Like seriously.. Unless this site is having a space issue why bother going through the thousands of members to see when they last logged in.. Would you want that Job.. No its tideous and frankly has no point.. So what if they don't come here anymore..

I myself went missing for over a year.. If i had come back with my account deleted do you think i would have went through the trouble of making a new account.. NOO

So leave it be..

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.