Should BJP loose it's inactive members?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Seishin, Feb 5, 2006.

?

Should Inactive members be deleted?

1. Yes

55.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  3. Whichever one gets picked highest, I really don't care

5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seishin

Seishin Guest

There's difference in that kind of situation.

For one, you're a mod. And two, you have well over one thousand posts. What most people have brought up is people with like ten posts. And there's also people with ZERO posts. And some of them have good nicknames.

-Seishin

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Pay attention you two! :p

You'd have to have less than 10 posts, AND more than 6 months of membership, AND 3 months inactivity. How would either of you get deleted?

KaMe, also, it's one query. Look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/SaintEbony/Pruning.jpg

That look tedious or difficult in any way? :p

Edit: Or, if you prefer BJP-AdminCP flavour:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/SaintEbony/Pruning2.jpg

:p

3. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

I'm going to have to ask the same question again: why? The only real benefit this would bring is more screen-names being opened up. You know how many names are possible? Infinite. Oh no, someone chose the name I happen to use on AIM or whatever... chose something maybe more creative then? I mean, I understand that there are thousands clammoring for "SpikeSpeigal2874" or "GeneStarwind4432", but come on.

Also, deleting inactive members (especially under those conditions) will definitely NOT excourage the growth of the site; folks will come, see this example set forth, and feel pressured, indeed commited to post what they must when they must just to stay. No one wants a commitment like that, so they'll leave. Again, seeing no benefit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Let's also keep in mind that "SpikeSpeigal2874" was created because the member couldn't use "SpikeSpeigal" all by itself. Or, in another forum, the nickname "Seishin" was taken, so anyone would just go with "Seishin343" or something like that, but since no one is really using that username actively, might as well give it to someone else.
    It's not really THAT hard to have at least ten posts. Plus let's keep in mind that it also requires six months membership, and at last three inactive. So technically, there's no pressure unless you're not really in for even loggin in the site.

-Seishin

5. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Oh ok...

With all those AND's, I agree :)

6. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

My point was, why use the name SpikeSpeigal anyway? Most of the time, a name like that is chosen because it's the flavor of the month - just because the character is popular. I'm saying people can easily come up with something more creative.

As for the second part, things come up. Maybe they, like myself right now, don't really have much to contribute to the discussions on the site. Maybe they only have internet access at certain times and happen to come across the site towards the end of this time (I've actually done this on another forum), and wouldn't have much time to contribute anything. If they have the option of creating a screen-name and leaving it for months at a time, there is still the chance they'd come back.

Also, something like this encourages hastily-made, non-thought-out posts for the sole purpose of making the ten-post quota. I personally hate seeing these kinds of posts, and they seem to be cropping up more and more lately.

So, you would sacrifice the overall quality of the site for a few names? I still don't see the point.

7. furryb

furryb Blind guy drawing...

I'd say yes but I doubt that it will have any material impact on the site. Putting it down as a policy might work to encourage people to visit more frequently. Then again, it is nice to see a list of all the people who have come and gone, even if it was only for a short while. Now that I think more about it, I probably should have picked the last option... :sweat:

8. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Like "SakataKentaro"?:D

Who WAS that idiot?:p

But I chose that name because 'Cloud' was obviously taken. But after a while, which includes a while of not posting on this site, I just asked for a name change.
    If you've been on six months, half the time not even logged in, and less than ten posts, I doubt you'd be staying. But there IS always cases. Besides, you don't really have to contribute. At least log in. Not even loggin in show (in a way) that you aren't fond of this site. As bad as it sounds, some people are like that.
    There's nothing anyone can really do about it. Besides, if someone posts ten pointless posts, they're bound to be one of those that post like a thousand times with pointless stuff.
    Saying it like that makes the whole six-three month thing a bit too few then.

Starting off, any user with over one year of membership (hell, 6 months if you want), and zero posts really isn't promising.

I think that anyone before 1-1-05 and below with zero posts should be the regular minimum.

Unless something supremly important really needs to be said, there's not much more for me to say in this thread. Taking what I said above is my final point. My personal opinion is that those should be cleared up, but if the final choice is NO, then fine, I'm not gonna go flame anybody.

-Seishin

9. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

One more contribution (sorry, I didn't think about this until just now); a lot of times, folks who do chose these names that might be popular will post maybe twenty times, then leave, completely forgetting about the site. They may post one hundred times. On that end of the spectrum, how would getting rid of everyone with lower post count than that free up his name? Just a thought.

10. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Actually I had a problem getting my nickname that was why I choose Basher19. It said it was taken which it really wasn't. Look at some of the popular anime names.

Kagome - http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/member.php?u=5402

There are names close to that. Like KA. and etc.

InuYasha - http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/member.php?u=118

1 exception so far. But last activity was 2004.

One thing that could be done is free up a lot of anime names that fit the guidelines. Or at least give them the option of getting that name.

People do join boards just to have that name.

I think some people may leave because they couldn't get their name that they wanted.

11. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

i think yes lose all the people with 0 post and inactivity within 6 months
    Then lose all members inactive with post in 1 year and a half?
    And if your able to send PMS to all members warning them if they dont respond in a certain amount of days their account will be deleted

12. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

*smiles* Hello all. xD
    *nods to the older members, grinning* If you remember me, kudos. If not, let me make a point.

I think it's a good idea to clear out some of the inactive members, But I wouldn't be too happy if I went on a long hiatas just to come back with no account. If they posted twice in 2004, lets all wish 'um a fond farewell. If they're just gone a while, take it into careful consideration..

-Lucky

13. Reisti Skalchaste

The reason I suggested keeping it to just ten posts is because if you go much higher, you start to delete users that have actually stuck around for awhile, and have contributed to the forum's history. But I'm sure people who register and leave, never to be seen again (or at all, really) aren't going to be too upset if their names are deleted.

Imagine, you register on a forum, and the next day you forget about it completely. A year later you stumble across the place again, with no memory of ever seeing it before. Would you expect to have an account already, or would you just reregister because it's a "new" place that you've never seen before? Using my guidelines (minus last activity, since you can't search the memberlist based on it), I came up with 2437 users, who've been registered for at least 6 months and haven't posted more than 10 times. That's almost half of the BJP community, made up of people who've registered, maybe posted once or twice, then disappeared.

Would you expect CherrySoft to come back and start posting today? Or GeorgeBob? How about Mizuno Ami? I bet you didn't even know they existed. By the same token, would you notice if they were deleted? (You know, I was on page 30 or 40 of the memberlist (sorted by posts in ascending order) before I actually started hitting members with any amount of posts) If you want, look through this list, and I bet you'll have never heard of any of these "members."

Anyway, it was done before, and though I'm loathe to bring it back to light (I was SUCH an idiot :p, also my views have since changed somewhat) [thread=12508]here[/thread] is the thread. I never heard a word about any negative backlash as a result of it.

That's about all I need to say, I think.

PS: Hi lucky! :p

14. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Thanks for the thread. Going on what BMS said 2 years ago 2076 members would be dropped. It has almost been 2 years.

It is up to the admin. Of course.

P.S. Rag are you still playing that game?

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Um, what? :sweat2:

Also it was a year and a half ago. Two years ago was before I joined. :p

16. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

If it was done before, then it was done before; I cannot argue with those who basically own the site. Biggest reason I was arguing my point was mostly because I couldn't remember the outcome of the previous discussion (I knew it had occurred, and even mentioned it in this thread), and was kind of trying to kill huge enthusiasm for it in case the choice on the part of the admins had been the other way. As I mentioned at first, I honestly don't care.

In other words, whatever, sure. :)

17. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

LOOK i dont care if its one post or a million posts.. aslo I was De-moded for a time.. it was only with my return that it was givin back..

Its not hurting anyone.. so stop complaining

18. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Elitists 'R' Us

Don't worry Kame, Wert's got your back. Wert's got Baphijmm's back as well.

It seems to me that the biggest issue here is regarding the use of inactive names because no one can bring up a good reason why it's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to 'unclutter' the inactive member population.

No one.

Not one.

The only argument you guys have (other than scratching that nervous tick to remove all things old) is that people's names are "starting to sound" similar.

There's two ways we can attack this-

One: We handle this on a case by case basis- If someone like Rags wants the name "Fluffy Emo Bunnies in Alfredo Sauce", but it's already taken, he can petition an Admin to remove the old name based upon the grounds that the old person registered is inactive and falls under whatever guidelines you people seem to have come up with. Wham, Bam, problem solved.

Something to note about this is that in order for someone to take an old name he or she would have to already be established here on the boards, which means that we would be getting rid of the old to help support the currently active. It's a Win/win situation giving priority to those who are currently active.

What do I mean by 'established'? Well that's up to Cloud and BMS.

Two: New members who register can overwrite old names and profiles that fall under your great 'These people should be deleted' criteria. The problem with this is that it gives priority to new people registering rather than current and active members. From a completely objective standpoint new members haven't proven themselves yet and have the same odds of posting the same as the account they just overwrote before vanishing.

Another thing is that Cloud would have to monkey with the script in order to have it recognize names that can be overwritten and give new members the ability to overwrite them- more pointless work on his part, really. I'm not even sure if that's even possible under vBulletin (But knowing Rags he's gonna come flying out of no where with a dozen 'oh you can by doing this and this and this...')

How about this? Rags said we would be cutting 2157 members. Well, let's say that they all posted the minimum required of 10 posts before vanishing...

Nah, let's cut that number in half to get a better average- 5 posts for all 2157 inactive members. 5 x 2157 is 10,785 posts from these inactive members. So are we merely going to slough off over 10 thousand posts for NO REAL REASON?! It doesn't matter how many posts there are from current and previously active members, 10 thousand posts is still a lot to pointlessly disregard without a good, solid reason behind it, which NO ONE HAS YET PROVIDED.

The only reason I ever found this place was because Luvweaver introduced me to the SMJ forum back when it was heavily active, and even then I didn't even know that the rest of the boards even existed until I got back from deployment.

I was ~gone~ on the other side of the world for seven months with a very low post count at the time. If I didn't have the internet on my ship I wouldn't have been able to keep up with any of the happenings here at all. Under your criteria my profile would have probably been deleted if that was the case. That's not cool and it's not characteristic of the community I first saw when I arrived over a year ago. If this is the direction we're going to go, cropping names uselessly without reason, then this community will have become something I'm not sure I will want any more part of. Guarantee you that the base behind most of our posts in the total count are from users who have come and gone, leaving 100 posts or less. Current active users are a very slim margin, and cropping the fat in this case is harmful to our overall base.

We're not elitist and we shouldn't be doing ~anything~ unless it has a sound purpose and reasoning behind it. A case by case basis is fair, supportive of the community, and solves our problem. Remember, the inactive list isn't breaking anyone's back. If it isn't broken don't fix it because you're only going to cause problems.

~W

19. Sp1k3

Sp1k3 New Member

I agree since it opens up new usernames, and the forum active to non-active ration is closer. I do hope, that the users who will be deleted will get a PM and at least a few weeks to come back on the forums.

20. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

The reason why I want the inactive people to be deleted is because I want the number of registered users to be an accurate representation of the number of active people or AT LEAST the number of people who have contributed to this forum. On that note, I'm changing my preferences for the prune to 6 months of inactivity with 0 total posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.