Signature Guidelines

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Cloud, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay, there are a lot of BIG signatures appearing so I am reposting the guidelines from boards.ie here.

Since we have enabled images in people's signatures, I would like to suggest the following guidelines be strictly followed in order to ensure that your signature image does not impede the enjoyment of others.

• Text: 4 lines normal size or 8 lines small size, and up to 90 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed.
    • Images: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 35k in size. No animated images are allowed.

Signatures blatantly advertising other forums / undesirable sites will result in a banning.

Please make sure that your signature DOES NOT contain profanity, bigotry, racism, or any other content that might be considered offensive by others. While we do not come out and suggest that this site is "family friendly" in nature, we do not want this to be interpreted as an open floodgate for sensitive material. IF WE GET A COMPLAINT, IT WILL BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

I am hoping that by making this compromise we will, in fact, be able to appease almost everyone. However, if things start to get out of control and the signature facility is being constantly abused, we will have to disable it.

Thanks,

John / Cloud.
    --
    EDIT: Limit raised from 20k to 35k, thanks Seraphim.

We have implemented a "3 warnings and the 4th is a one week ban" policy. If your signature needs to be editted, we will send out a warning email. Once 3 warnings have been sent, on the following signature abuse, you will be banned for one week or even longer depending on your behaviour.
    -- Nov. 7th 2005

2. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

BTW I have a script to ensure images are kept to the correct size, which I will now be running. 20 or so signatures have been modified.

3. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

And for those who exceeded the image limits, you will see this image: [​IMG]

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Signatures are limited because not everyone enjoys having their full screen taken up by a pic someone has linked to every single one of their posts - often accompanying 1 line-wonders - posts that really do nothing to the subject or conversation. Additionally, bigger files can really harm our users on dial-up's performance while surfing.

Thank you.
    -BakaMattSu, Admin

[berry]Ciel pointed out that trimming was due, mainly cause i deleted the post in reference. but the main point remains.[/berry]

5. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Here is a good site for image webhosting

Im willing to to make sigs for you guys, so just ask and Ill do a banner for you

I just opened a thread in the Art/Design forum, where I and many others could fulfill a person request for sig- banner.

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

And when it comes to arguing, we just might disable them altogether. The apparant disrespect from a few members can ruin it for everyone.

The rules are there. If you choose not to read or follow them, that's your call. But by the same token, if you do so you have no right to complain when action is taken against you.

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Bottom line: These are our standards. Don't follow them, and you lose your sig altogether.

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'd love to go report directly to you each and every time your sig goes out of bounds, but I don't have the time to sit around and babysit. Cloud runs an automated script that runs through and checks everyone's sigs on a regular basis - this won't warn you, it will just substitute your signature for the warning image.

You can check yourself before implementing a sig to see if it falls within the boundaries BEFORE making it your sig.

Your current image is 300x125 and 44KB. The dimensions are fine, the size is NOT. If you need help resizing your image or reducing quality and size for a sig, I believe *_ToOmaA_* opened a thread for that purpose in the Art/Design forum here.

But understand we don't have the time to personally inform everyone of an invalid sig. We'll just remove it.

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Unfortunately, the script currently isn't set to run at a constant interval - it runs whenever Cloud or myself run it manually.

In addition, it only checks images, and isn't exactly bulletproof material.

This is because it wasn't meant to be the be-all end-all solution. Members were expected to follow the rules out of good faith and the agreement that being courteous to us by following the rules, that we would allow signatures to be in effect. The sigcheck was a fallback attempt.

If you notice a sig that is outside of our specifications or is offensive or inappropriate, report it directly to an Admin (me or Cloud).

In all honesty, I'm losing my patience with this whole affair. It's unfortunate if everyone loses signature priveleges on account of users who won't comply, but if things continue as they are signatures will be taken out of the picture.

10. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

this thread is now closed, due to the spammy nature it has just recovered from, as you will note by the lack of about 7 pages.

we have a help forum that will ba able to anwser all your questions, and when in doubt, you can always pm a moderater.

Any updates will be posted here though.

BB

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

bumping so that people will reread the rules with the new and added mention of the 3 warning = ban.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.