Movies Silent Hill

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Chane, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Oh.. my... GOD

Okay, to date, there hasn't really been a decent video game movie. They've all been horribly butchered, to the EXTREME.

When I heard of the Silent Hill movie, long ago, my first thought was "Dear God, PLEASE don't involve Paul W. Anderson or Uwe Boll". God has answered the prayers of a blasphemer it seems. My next wish was, "Dear God, give it good actors". Yet again, I was answered. We were given Radha Mitchell, Deborah Kara Unger, Laurie Holden and of course, the one I'm most looking forward to, the great Sean Bean (probably best known to peopel for playing Boromir in The Lord Of The Rings and Odysseus in Troy). Then I beg, "Please, give us a decent cast". As a writer, we get Roger Avary, a genius behind co-writing Pulp Fiction, True Romance and Resevoir Dogs with Quentin Tarantino. We get Christophe Gans, who wrote and directed the second part of the movie adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's 'Necronomicon'. They give us Jeff Danna, composer for, blech, the Resident Evil movies but also behind the brilliance of the music in Boondock Saints. Not to mention he is paired with none other than Akira Yamaoka himself, THE composer of the Silent Hill music in the video games. We also receive Patrick Baxter, make-up effects artist of some craptastic movies but had great make-up effects (the Resident Evils, Hosue of the Dead, Wrong Turn, Freddy Vs. Jason and Saw II), and Patrick Tatopoulus who did creature designs for Independence Day and Pitch Black and was the creature supervisor in Stargate.

Now, my last wish has been taking quite some time. I asked, "Dear Lord, please give us a totally groovy trailer to drool over until the premiere date in April". Instead, that sadistic ******* gave us a teaser that showed virtually nothing. But, alas, I daresay the most recently released trailer has made up for it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/trailers

If you people haven't seen it.. go.. watch.. it.. NOW.

Yes, it is not a completely direct representation of the games; it bases mostly off the first game with aspects of the second... but this is by far one of the best looking movies I've seen. I hope people agree.

I just found a good shot of Pyramid Head, apparently, from the movie: Warning; pretty bloody

http://content.alternativenation.ne...1/PyramidHeadMoviefixed_original_original.jpg

1 person likes this.
  2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

No! No! Don't say any more! You're going to jinx it!! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Please let this not suck.

~W

3. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

its based off a game? i thought it was based off an older movie version of it

4. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Wow!

And it features the same cool gory bloddy walls and abandoned buildings feelings from Silent Hill 3! :D

I loved the nightmarish details in that. I'm glad that finally we'll have a decent horror movie...

I wonder if I'll dare to watch it :p because

"in the movie, you can't press pause, MUAHAHAHAHAH" :p

5. Fushigi Rockna

OMG, I *SO* called this about a year ago! On another board we were tlaking about movies and i said "Silent Hill would make a kick butt horror movie--IF they used things from the game including plot idea, and events! Like all the little scare tactics...I bet that'll be NEXT!"

And here we are OO

yeah, at the start of that trailer i was thinking "gee, this sounds alot like the first game". That and that actress looks a bit to me like a older Heather...

This looks promising, I have to say =) I probably wouldn't see it in theaters tho, wait till it came on DVD...I'll be less scared that way XD (what a wimp am I)

6. furryb

furryb Blind guy drawing...

The beginning really took me back to the first silent hill which is damned good on it's own. Makes me want to play the first game again. Never did get to finish it. I wussed out... :eek:

7. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Well if I remember correctly, it was announced over a year ago. :p

8. Fushigi Rockna

I called it WELL OVER a year ago, in fact, i think a year and a half ago. (maybe 2 years, i'm not sure) =P So there.

9. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

After Uwe Bolls massacre of Video Game based movies, I don't have high hopes anymore. I am sorry :(

- Teddz

10. luvweaver

I agree...

Uwe Boll sucks. It's not my opinion, it's the general Slashdot community (+1, informative :p ) 's opinion.

Fortunately, Silent Hill was not directed by Uwe Boll, but by
    Christophe Gans, who directed Brotherhood of the Wolf, Crying Freeman and Necronomicon: Book of Dead.

Also, Konami participated heavily during the production of Silent Hill, to make sure the movie was faithful to the game's gore :eek:.

So yes, I have high hopes for this one.

11. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

WOOT!

This ought to be a movie hit instant. I can't wait for this I love the silent hill games. Heh thier about the only games that can startle me and make me say wtf?!? in a high type voice.

WOOT FOR THE MOVIE:D :D :D :D

12. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

*smiles* I played maybe one of the games, but the idea does pique my intrests.

13. Chane

Chane Audience of One

It's okay, I felt the same way at first. And Paul Anderson didn't do anything to help matters. But I'm going to forget about them for now because I really do think something good will come of this movie. Just a feeling I got. It can't be as bad as Uwe Boll movies because the trailers alone for Uwe Boll movies sucked (they weren't even anything like all of the games).

And FR; if it might've been two years, then say that.. don't say it was a year and when someone points something out change your mind. :p

14. Fushigi Rockna

It's because i don't remember exactly when it was I called it. XD And either way, when i did, no one pointed out to me "Well a SH movie has already been announced."
    I'll have to go look around on that other boards, see when it was I made that post..

EDIT: I went a lookin'. It was some time before january 20, 2005. I'm not sure how long because that was the date they lost a whole database of threads and posts, and when i searched around, i found nothing, so it must've been in those posts lost. =( Drat, and I wanted to date that...
    Either way, it was still over a year =P barely tho. XD

15. luvweaver

16. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Paul Anderson did the same thing with the zombies for Resident Evil (although I'm not so sure it was necessarily his decision)... but yes, pretty much all of the zombies in the first movies were dancers and spent time a "bootcamp". The second movie I'm not so sure, just know they spent months in a different "bootcamp".

17. Cardcaptor Saku

Cardcaptor Saku New Member

oks creepy hehe Ima go see it when it comes out though

18. Anto and Moe

Anto and Moe New Member

Excellent! That looks brilliant, and it really looks like the game to!

19. luvweaver

OK I've read like a hundred of reviews, and I can say this:

1. The first hour RULZ.

2. The second hour kinda sucks and nearly ruins it.

Some people loved it, some hated it, some liked it... some say it's ok.

No, it's not perfect, it has some bad acting, excessive time spent in telling the story near the end, and the first premise is just illogical (oh my baby's having nightmares, let's take her to the creepy dangerous ghost town and hope she gets miraculously healed!).

In my opinion they could have fixed (or plainly removed) some really bad parts. Perhaps in the director's cut we get 2.0 going.

Apart from that, I can't wait to see it :p

20. Senbotsu

Senbotsu New Member

Seen it last night and enjoyed it, even if you never played the videogames its still a good horror film.