Saber Marionette SMJ Manga being translated!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Faust, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Faust

Faust New Member

Hello all! It's been a long time (though I don't think anyone remembers me, as I was only here briefly back then... my life got disturbingly busy for while).

Anyway, while I had wanted to work on an SMJ manga translation, and so I ordered the manga, and started learning japanese. Now almost a year later I have some of the manga, and I have gotten much better at japanese... and I find out that apparently the SMJ manga has been licensed for translation and release in the US. It has apparently already been acquired but not officially announced by Tokyopop (it was part of a contest they had at animeondvd, by a rep. of tokyopop, and a press release should come soon).

I know lots of people hate tokyopop, and i don't have any more details other than it's the Saber Marionette J manga (which i would assume is the 5 volumes done by Satoru Akahori and Kotoyoshi Yumisuke). Well, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.. hopefully it will make SMJ more popular!

Looks like it's time to start searching for those novels again (wish as a might I KNOW those won't be released over here)...

2. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

I made a request on the Survey of Tokyopop of making license of the SMJ manga. Hopefully it'll help too ^.^ Btw, I don't hate Tokypop! I love it =D

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

that'll be cool as long as they don't try to americanize it as much as other things<cough>sailormoon<cough>magic knight rayearth<cough cough>

4. Faust

Faust New Member

I don't hate Tokyopop either... they release lots of stuff over here, and the fact that they have lots of Clamp stuff and now SMJ makes them cool!

I do however, feel they have room for improvement (empty speech bubbles in my Love Hina manga...)

Still... its SMJ in english! Yay!

5. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Translation in spanish

There's already a translation of SMJ in spanish, formerly printed in Spain and now being reprint at argentina. The spanish version in argentina was such a success that right now you can't get them at any comic store, but the editor company (Ivrea )promised that it will reprint and redistribute the three last takoubons again in the near future.

Here a nice image of a chapter in Takoubon #3 "Lime and Kuu". It's the sort of the squirrely chapter in the anime, but the end is completely different.

The sense of reading is alike the original japanese, because their authors doesn't want their works to be "mirrored" for the occidental sense of reading. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you get accustomed to it is not that bad.

Attached Files:

6. Sachiko

There's even Spanish translation... -.- why isn't the mangas translated into English...?

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

*cough* The Cabbit *cough*

Still, I'd like to see more English past Volume 1....even if Tokyopop may take quite some time for it...

8. Sachiko

This is what Tokyopop said:

Saber Marionette J - by Akahori Satoru; released as five tankoubon (graphic novels) in Japan by Kadokawa in their Comics Dragon, Jr. line. 1st vol from TOKYOPOP out in July.

9. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

*dances* Whoo-hah! ^_^ Borders, here I come! (Lots of shopping to do there. ^^)

I can't wait 'til they come out. I might not get them, but still -- it's a great moment for the SMJ fandom. ^_~