Movies So "Who watched the Watchmen?"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Peachy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I did..I stayed up and ran in line to get a ticket 11 hours before the premiere so I could see it. The tickets were sold out last night and all of the people there to see it got a special edition poster with my favorite character on it you can't get anywhere else.

They picked the most wonderful effing actor for Rorschach. His voice and his face finally were amazing and so were the others. I always had my mind set about the second Silk Spectre and Adrian Viedt. I hated them both but the movie gave them a new light and also a better idea of how Dr. Manhattan really is. I like Adrian. In my opinion due to hints around and in the movie the little option "boys" on his computer log (lol) he is homosexual and that explains his..very very neat appearance. I thought he was a #$% at first but in the movie i found him to be very very handsome and very very powerful. Laurie (Silk Spectre) showed me a different side in the movie and I actually felt compassionate towards her, along with my feelings of respect and love for Dr. Manhattan. I never imagined him sounding so young and handsome or looking that way. I thought he would sound sort of like a robot and I really like his appearance and the new air I recieved from him.

It was a damn good movie. Three years in waiting just to see it and I enjoyed it more than any other.

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

I watched it last night too. I have to admit I was pleased with how closely they kept the movie to the comic book. There were a few exclusions and a couple of minor changes, but by in large the film was a great transmittal from comic book to big screen. I can understand how those who have not read the original source material could say that it was too long, but the movie wasn't about making it concise, catering to the average attention span. It was about remaining true to its source material and accurately depicting the Watchmen story. Well done.

Is Viedt's homosexual tendencies so surprising? He modeled himself after Alexander the Great, who was into boys. A revolting personality trait today, but several thousand years ago, it was common practice and embraced by society. As far as Alexander the Great is concerned, it's hard to judge a person based upon our norms when, in his time, it was socially acceptable. Viedt, however, has no excuse.

Women have something to love about this movie: there's certainly enough Atomic Wang. In fact there's more male nudity than female nudity. Despite this, Dr. Manhattan's character was amazing. He was well done and the film did a great job humanizing a god.

~W

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

"Atomic wang" made me lol.

I was genuinely happy with how the movie turned out. When I read source material before seeing a film adaptation, I usually am quick to point out how much better the original is. It's usualy a conflict between how it played out in my own mind versus how it was presented by the filmmakers. Not this time.

From beginning to end, the treatment given couldn't have been much better if the characters had walked right off the page and onto the screen. There were obvious extensions to the action scenes, and I felt the over-the-top power level was a bit of a departure from the original works, but what changes were made worked well.

I admit I was curious (and a bit worried) when I heard there was a change at the end, but it turned out to be a clever rewrite of what was originally a really screwed up plot point that actually fits better than the original (giant squid, anyone?). Although, it does sort of remove a reason to have Bubastis around - whom I thought was cut out entirely until his appearance towards the end.

For anyone griping about length, there will reportedly be a DVD release version that incorporates animated segments of the Tales of the Black Freighter into the film as per the graphic novel. Expect that sucker to run on for 4 or more hours. You can bet that'll be the version I get. :)

Of course on the flip side, I think anyone who hasn't read the Watchmen will see the movie and wonder just what all the hype was about. I went with a friend who gave me an odd look and shook his head as the credits began to roll. He was expecting a popcorn action superhero movie with fights, explosions, and supervillains.

It's also getting pooped on by critics because they feel it translates the graphic novel from paper to screen directly, without any modifications. I think they would have railed on it no matter what the end product is - if the film were something different, they'd be whining that "it's a good movie, but it's not Watchmen".

I'm happy with how it turned out, but I feel the movie won't have staying power with the general public.

4. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Not true, I was the only one in my group who had read the novel and just about everyone enjoyed it. The actions scenes were spaced out enough to keep them from boredom and the plot ended up drawing them in, especially at the end. I thought there was plenty of action scenes to appeal to the popcorn superhero click.

"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you're locked up in here with me!"

The Black Freighter will add over an hours worth of content? Holy crap.

I also agree about the ending changes. This felt a little more conceivable.

~W

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

There are the animated scenes of the story itself - The director wanted to film it all out, but the budget wasn't there.

There are a few scenes that were cut out because of the long run time - the murder of Hollis Mason for one. I'm hoping they also filmed the scenes from the newsstand on the street - they got a few brief sweeps during the movie, but none of their lines.

I think I also read that they put together segments of interviews of the older Watchmen in an Under the Hood style. Parts of it reportedly improvised in character.

Freighter will release as its own feature DVD before the Watchmen movie sees home release. The director's cut will later inject it throughout the movie similar to how it was in the Graphic Novel.

6. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Opening night.

I liked it, and refuse to put any effort into over analyzing it, degrading it, insulting it and/or disliking it.

Cheers.

7. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Watched it.... didn't like it. Prob cause i never read the comics but it seemed to take to long for me to get into.