Soujiro or Okita?

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Himura_Mitsuki, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Himura_Mitsuki

Himura_Mitsuki New Member

I thought that Soujiro and Okita looks about the same in d series. Is there supposed to be any kinda relation between those two? I know that they're both great swordmen. Almost the equal of Kenshin or possibly, even better.

Hehe.... if only Nobuhiro Watsuki had written more about Okita, I wudn have such a hard time figuring out who is more of my favourite :dizzy2:

2. Ice_blue_eyes

Ice_blue_eyes New Member

Soujiro over Okita, even though I only caught like a glimpse of Okita, I heard a few rumors about how he died.Also because Soujiro seta is my most FAV character. And yes they are both quite the swordsmen, Soujiro was based off of Okita, so they have much of a resemblance. If you were to look at this other thread, you would find that many people agree that if Soujiro were to grow up................... proper, he could kick Kenshin's girlyman butt! :anime: :sweat2:

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

now as for Okita Soushi he was much like Soujirou obviously being the base model for him. while his childhood is somewhat clouded his involvment with the Shinsengumi is very clear. His name originally was Soujirou but he changed it to Soushi. he entered the Tennen Rishin Ryuu Dojo under Kondo Isami at the age of 9. A prodigy at the sword he had obtained the Menkyo Kaiden* status by the age of 14. he was able to wield his katana the Kikuichimonji Norimune just as well as he was able to wield a bokken or shinai. He was said to be the most powerful member of the Shinsengumi using a technique called "the three step pierce" said to be aimed at the heart head and neck. its also possible that the stirkes were to both shoulders, thus disabling the opponents abilty to weild his sword correctly and the neck as a finishing blow. he was a generally happy man, that got along very well with children. he was supposedly a very handsome man and attracted ladies like moths to a flame. Unfortunetly he contracted Teberculosis** a disease that had no vaccination or cure then. he kept it a secret from the other members of the Shinsengumi. During the raid of the Ikedaya Inn he was considered in his prime. while most sword styles were meant to be used in a large open space the Tennen Rishin Ryuu was mostly a stabing style and was very effective in the narrow hallways of the Inn. His three step pierce became the most deadly sword stance of the whole battle. Near the end of the battle, however, Okita collapsed to the floor coughing up a shocking amount of blood. it was then that Saitou, and Nagakura Shimpachi found out. There were times when he was too sick to lead his squad and Nagakura would take over. after the Bakumatsu he was sent to a Teberculosis hospital in Edo. he died there at the age of 25.

*the Menkyo Kaiden status in any dojo means that the student has learned everything there is to teach including the schools ougi's and is now at the level where they could open there own Dojo if they wanted.
    **Teberculosis was then called Consumption and effected the lungs. being a swordsmen, probably worsened Okita's disease and the cold night air during the raid on the Ikedaya is probably what really started his downward slide.

4. Himura_Mitsuki

Okita.... Soujiro.... coool

wow! That's a whole load of info there. Now I understand why Nobuhiro Watsuki didn't include Okita in the Kyoto arc. It wouldn't have made sense since he was already dead by then. I did find it odd initially as to why the first capt of the shishengumi wasn't employed since the third capt was.

Maybe Watsuki did want to fictionalise Okita's character so he did it in the form of Soujiro.

hmm...There was some significance to Okita coughing at the end of the fight during kenshin's flashback, plus that part where Saitou said he was unwell to fight kenshin. And i thought Okita was just plain sick :shy3:

But Okita wasn't a mentally broken boy like Soujiro was he?

And YESH Soujiro can definitely kick Kenshin's lily *** once he straightened his thoughts out, whether or not Kenshin can read his emotions. But I'm sure he won't even he was given the chance cos he seems to respect Kenshin and vice versa. It was a great pity he met Shishio instead of Hiko really.

5. Chibi Sango

Chibi Sango New Member

well reading Hitokiri_gensai's post and rereading who likes Soujiro i think i would say both. because they're the same person! lol. but i bet that Okita didn't smile that much. :sweat2: :sweat: :sweat2: :sweat: AND KENSHIN'S NOT GIRLY! :anger2: :anger2: :anger2: :anger2: :anger2: :anger2: :anger2: :anger2:

6. Shiryuu

Shiryuu New Member

Okita is cooler than Soujiro overall, probably more powerful too, if it weren't for that Tuberculosis...

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

eh...as Soujirou uses a completey fictionalized sword style yes hes stronger but...Okita would definitly be the strongest swordsmen...Okita, Saitou, and Nagakura made up the three strongest swordsmen in the Shinsengumi. Saitou was usually the second level swordsmen when testing new recruits. Okita would always ref the matches. each match was done with shinai.

8. DistantSamurai

DistantSamurai New Member

Well lets see.

Okita has always and probably will always be one of my fav rurouni Kenshin characters.

It is true Okita and Soujirou were based on one another but there are differences. I believe I find Okita to the be the superior sword wielder and Okita had much more liveliness. His loyalty to the Shinsengumi was unwavering which I found very admirable.

So to make a long answer short. Okita is my favorite. :anime:

9. Ice_blue_eyes

Ice_blue_eyes New Member

Is tooooo!!!!! :anime: :anime: :anime: Kenshin is girly, I mean, he wears a pink (more of magenta) gi, or kimono would you call it. And anyway, he's so scrawny, but that doesn't mean I don't like Kenshin or anything. I mean he is sooo totally awesome. I mean his moves are cool and all, but..... fine I'll shut up now. *friend complains about my typing nonsense* It isn't nonsense!!!!! :anger2: :anger2: :anger2: :anger2:

10. Himura_Mitsuki

finally i made up my mind

Hmm it's difficult to come into conclusion wif RK's Okita cause they showed so little of him i.e. introduction of Kyoto Arc and the Trust n Betrayal OVA. I felt Peacemaker Kurogane gave me a clearer impression of Okita. Generally they're such tragic yet strong characters that audiences can't help but admire.

So after much thought... this is my 2 cents worf :sweat: :

Seta Soujiro is my favourite RK character. He is an irony really, trying to laugh off all that anger and sadness... I know there's no chance of it happening but they should make a spinoff for him. Oh well :anime: Haku does remind me of him though.

As for Okita Soujiro, he will always be my all time best-loved character. Fighting till the very end even though he was suffering from tubercolusis, so as to keep the group's morale up, makes him a evergreen hero.