Star Wars Battlefront 2!

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Seishin, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Seishin

Seishin Guest

At last, for those of us that loved Star Wars BattleFront, we are finally getting a sequel.

From the E3 highlights i've seen, there's tons of new goodies in this game. The blurriness of the prequel is finally taken out. Also, you will finally get to take battle into outer space. And a great addition: you know those battle that you had a Jedi fight beside you? Well, from the trailers i've seen, you will finally get to take control of great characters like Darth Vader, and Obi-Wan Kenobi into battles, and maybe even Jedi Battles also.

For more detailed info and trailers:
    GameSpot Coverage

Any thoughts or something on this game? Besides the fact that it sucks that it's not a next-gen console?

-Seishin

2. Guts

Guts 100 man slayer

News of BattleFront 2 has been out for quite a while. I saw it a long while back on a magazine. It is pretty cool that you actually get to take control of the Jedi but what I want most of all is more people. Like 300-500.

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Blah to the Jedi characters thing. What was great about Battlefront was that it went away from involving the force, and put players in a frontline troop role. Introducing heroes as playable characters will either totally destroy that or cheapen the character by reducing how strong they should really be.

The heroes of Battlefront today are nearly indestructable. You can blast Luke with an AT-AT cannon, bouncing him around for hours and he'll get up after it all. I've killed Vader once with a sniper rifle with blind luck, and I've seen him go down from a vehicle spawning on top of him, but that's about it.

Obviously BF2 would make them much more killable, but it'll just feel cheap if a squad of rebel troopers can take down Vader with blaster fire. And of course on the flipside, they need to be balanced - why would anyone take a standard battledroid, if Grievous if a choice? Plus, how is it decided which lucky player gets to assume control? I would assume we wouldn't be seeing a clone army of Mace Windu running down the battlefield...

Then again, it might just be a single player campaign only thing...you never know.

Regardless, I am certainly looking forward to the game. Space battles were the #1 requested feature (beyond the terrible FPS lock that I hope is removed for BF2) by the community after release, and they look kicking in the two trailers I've seen. I also heard rumours of mutliple map modes, although I'd be fine with the existing command point form.

Release date is set for November 11th, this year, which would land Battlefront 2 on Remembrance Day. You can bet I'll be scooping it up release day as I did with the first one.

4. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

Hey i could see jedi being in the game but not for Multiplayer....
    I could see them in the game for single because you could have 2 unlock the jedi under hard mode and they could be only playable under hard mode too

5. Orion

Orion Gears

I am totally lookin' forward to Battlefront 2! I am gonna love it, because of the Jedi as a playable character option. That's gonna rock, hard.

6. Fudge_Monkeys

Hmm i thought about this more and it seems Jedi Might disturbe the balance I just really dont understand how it will work out if Jedis Will the most powerful unit on the Field and They are able to respawn too. Maybe Jedi are a one time use and if they die thats it?

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'll find out exactly how well things are balanced when I pick up my copy tomorrow. In the time since I was first hearing about things it doesn't seem too bad - the hero units are all controllable by the server settings, so the host has control over the extremes of having them freely available at spawns or completely unavailable as well as some more inbetween choices such as a limited reward for high scoring players.

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

There BETTER be an option to not let heroes be played; it'd be about as fun as being a man with a machinegun fighting a Roman army. I'm sick of playing the "heroes"; I enjoy being the little guy.

From what I do know that's confirmed, if you do play as a hero it's only for a certain amount of time.

Hopefully the flight will be resolved; there was maybe one level where it fit in well at all in the original, and with space levels, decent flight is a must.

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Back after a night of single player and a night of multiplayer. I'll open by saying that if you were a fan of the first game, the second does not disappoint. It feels about four times the size in terms of the new additions (the major ones being space maps and heroes) and game modes.

Single player was taken up many notches. The campaign story is more cohesive and involves maps with varied objectives and difficulties. I have yet to try the new galactic conquest, but from reviews I've seen it also got overhauled for the better. The first game was basically turn-based planet battles, but the second supposedly offers better strategy.

Heroes can indeed be tweaked by the host to extremes or averages. I was a bit worried they would be game-breaking but they are balanced enough by sometimes erratic control and the fact that they are defeatable - in fact, last night I was finding it easier to gun down Luke with a trooper than with Vader. In the hands of a skilled player, their effectiveness and presence goes up, but they are neither too overpowered or weak for their role.

I personally think Pandemic's best fix was what they did to vehicles. They're still a force to be reckoned with, but they are not nearly as dominant as they were in the original battlefront.

The space maps are a nice change of pace to normal play, even given that they all play out too similarly (with just positioning of ships and backdrop changes, unfortunately). Dogfighting is more like the first Battlefront than sims like the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, but there is far more space to fly around with, and ships are more sturdy (any small collision no longer immediately makes you a piece of scrap).

All in all, I must say I've become a Battlefront addict all over again. ^^

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I've been replaying a bit of the first Battlefront, and was reminded of one of my biggest criticisms of the game: it's only interesting in the Clone Wars era. The units felt a lot more varied and interesting in that era, whereas the Civil War era felt a lot like for the most part it was two armies with near identical units. Is this rectified?

Also, did they add in more outfits for the Rebels? I got pretty annoyed seeing forest camo in the middle of Mos Eisley.

11. Orion

Orion Gears

I'm pretty sure they have the same units as the last Battlefront. I think the only new units they added were the playable Jedi, who have some very nice powers if I say so myself. As for the outfits, didn't the camo very from map type to map type in the first Battlefront?

12. Seishin

Seishin Guest

The outfits DO look different from each other this time. You can't see something completly different, but you can tell who's who, and what's what.

Thankfuly the kinda blurriness from the first one is gone.

As for the brand new additions; The whole "Hero" thingy is kind of weird, but simple. You kill enough people, you get a Jedi/Sith helper, and you go on a lightsaber ramapage. Sounds cool, but it's not really an enormous twist. The only force abilities they have all together is Force Push and Lightsaber Throw. Also, it's only good for a close range kinda thing, so don't expect to be the hero in this kind of game, since for some reason, there's no blocking.

The flying though, is really fun, and in the Rise of the Empire mode, it almost never gets old. It's not just your regular dogfights, you start in your own station, and choose your ship. Get on, press X (PS2]/A (X-Box), and start flying. From there, you will be given different missions. The Star Wars usuals, take out their shields, destory the bridge, comms. system, sabotage it from the inside (Yes, you can get inside enemy ships now, even though they're not that huge), etc.

All in all, this game is (in my opinion) better, and more fun than Battlefront 1, mostly because it contains ALL of the relevant places, so there's no Episodes missing, no missing link in the story, no nothing. You know everything, now you play it.

This game is really great. Not just for Star Wars fans, but for any Shooters fan.

13. Orion

Orion Gears

I actually watched my brother play it yesterday, and I saw him playing as the Emperor. He said the Empereor had the ability to "Force Jump." He jumped and kinda glided across the battlefield and then touched down after about 6 or 7 seconds. Can all the Jedi heroes do that?

14. Fudge_Monkeys

Just a Question for people who have played it already when your in space fighter can u land in those bigger ships in spacE?

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I just ran through the demo, and yeah, you can land in capital ships.

The flight model is highly reminiscent of the one found in the Rogue Squadron series, which is fine by me (a full flight model like in the X-Wing series would be too complex for the tasks you'll do anyway).

Shijin, regarding camo: The rebels had two camo options: snow and forest. Forest was all you had if you weren't on a snow level.

That's a bit of a disappointment regarding unit variety; hopefully Civil War era missions will be different from "both of you, opposite sides of the map, fight it out". Scenarios like the Hoth shield generator destruction are what really made the game for me and scenarios are about all the Civil War had to keep me interested.

I doubt it's in there but I'd love to see missions playable to both eras. It'd be fun to play Hoth with battledroids and Clone troopers, or better yet have Clones vs Stormtroopers. Nonsensical? Yeah, but Lucasarts is the same company that let you have Trade Federation vs Rebels in Galactic Battlegrounds (or whatever that Age of Empires-esque game was called).

16. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Oh that. Well, here's how it applies on that.

A Jedi/Sith has a Stamina bar. Obviously, it replenishes in about ten seconds after running out. How you use it? Well, I've already mentioned the L1/L Trigger Force Powers (Kinds both of them I think...), but, if you press X/A, you obviously jump a bit higher than your reguler troops. Tap it, and you'll do a Force Jump-like thing. Basically, it's just jump after jump that makes you higher.

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing to mention (comes just from me). This game's really similar to it's predecesor. You only get a couple of new moves, Starships and space fights, Heroes, etc. The only new part to this is it's mulitplayer capabilities (for some reason not on the PSP). So if you want all out in this game, I suggest you get X-Box Live, or an internet connection for PS2 or your PC.

We should round up a couple of tournaments soon or something. A battlefront 2 get together!

17. Fudge_Monkeys

Hey is there a PC demo for the game? i went to see if game spot had one but i didnt see one.

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

The problem is what platform to use for multiplayer. I'm pretty sure BMS is a PC user, I'm quite sure Kaiyon and Seishin are going to be XBox users, and I myself have no idea whether I'll ue PC or XBox. I'm comfortable with both platforms, so...

19. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Actually, belive it or not, I got the PS2 version (I said "I" because I paid for it, even though he plays it. Perfect example of freeloading people!), which is odd since I've never used PS2 Online in my life. As a BJP thing, it may not work out, but as a game itself, sure!

I'd much rather it on X-Box, since X-Box Live it's easier to get around in, and, quite frankly, more people have it.

20. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Who bought you your PSP again?

To be honest, I'm leaning towards PC right now, because I'm sickened with the lack of downloadable content the Xbox version of the first game has. The lone downloadable map they made was a gimmick if anything. I'm not expecting cascades of maps or anything, but a novelty map is not my idea of a good download. Whereas the PC community is sure to make a ton of mods, and while it'll have crap gimmick maps, I'm sure it'll also have lots of quality stuff too.