Sword training from the masters

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Saitou_Hajime, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Saitou_Hajime

Saitou_Hajime New Member

I was just wondering,
    if you could become a student, from someone in Rurouni Kenshin who would it be.
    (If the person actually existed, you would go back in time and train under their wing)
    who would it be? and if you could please, tell why.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

well historically, i would probably train under Kawakami Gensai, though the prospects of studying under masters such as Hijikata Toshizou and Kondo Isami sounds kewl. Then there is of course, Sakamoto Ryoma of the Hokushin Ittou Ryuu. He was recognized as a master with enough skill to open his own Dojo. However, he was swept into the chaos of the Bakumatsu. He sided with the Ishin Shishi and was famous for shooting his way out of a building with a Smith and Wesson pistol given to him by Takasugi Shinsaku when he was cornered by the some of the shogunate soldiers.

Then there is Katsura Kogorou, the leader of the Choshuu Ishin Shishi. he was a master in Shinto Munen Ryuu.

i can go on for HOURS so ill shut up

3. Kryshana

Kryshana Dont try to understand me

Even though I'm a girl...I would love to train how to sword fight under Kenshin...if he ever existed. I'm deeply interested in the japanese style of sword fighting. My friend has a couple of Kendo sticks and he actually taught me how to block attacks. Things have gotten between us so I don't think he would continue to teach me. But I would love it if I could train under someone, especially Kenshin...so skilled ^_^...so I could become a master at it...

4. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Moved to RK.

*swish*

- Teddz

5. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

I cant personally think pf any Real life master to learn under but i would love to have master Hiko as my master b/c before i saw the Samurai X ova's i had some ideas that were similar to master hikos and when he had voiced them in the OVA it dawned on me that i would have loved to be his pupil and would have loved to have stayed longer under his wing then Kenshin/Shinta b/c i know that kenshin had not yet finished his training and i would love ever so to learn Hikos abilities and his philosphies... anyways im willing to teach my friends as much as i know about sword fighting and the midnset needed but certain people cant get the type of mindset needed but im Sure Kryshana that your friend is still willing to teach you....

6. Kryshana

Kryshana Dont try to understand me

Thank you hiro...I was hoping I would hear that! *gigantic smile* ^_^

7. Saitou_Hajime

Saitou_Hajime New Member

No, please Gensai, do continue. I think i would want to train under Kawakami Gensai's wing as well. To know, that i may be his only pupil, is just breath taking. That I, am learning from such a strong sword-fighter, learning a style, that no one else in the world will know.
    Would you pick a teacher, with great skills, or great principles. Which one, draws you to want to learn from him, If he only had one of those.

(This is really a hyperthetical question, because, well, not always, but usually, one with great swird skill, has somewhat of great principles.)
    But, this isn't always true, it really comes down, to your personal believes, and moral values.
    But, yet again, i ask a question, out of Curiasity.=)
    Thank you all for answering the post, i was hesitant to even post it.
    -Saitou_Hajime

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm im here to resurect this post!!!

why you ask?!

cause im bored :p

wellll lesee here.... i wanna expand on my choices and perhaps add some more

Hijikata Toshizou and Kondo Isami were both master swordsmen in the Tennen Rishin School of Kenjutsu of which Kondo's adopted father was the pervious Handai of. Its an interesting style as most of its techniques are stabbing techniques. while its not completely comprised of such techniques many of them were and therefore could be easily used indoors and in small alleryways. ultimatly it was perfect for the Shinsengumi who served in Kyoto as a police force who had to search indoors and patrol the streets.

Hijikata himself came up with the technique Hirazuki which is a right handed forward stab, from there spawned Saitou Hajime's Left handed Forward stab.

Okita Souji had the three step pierce, for which he is considered to be the strongest swordsmen in the Shinsengumi.

Kawakami Gensai was renowned for his assassination of Sakuma Kyozan in broad daylight using his Furanui Kenjutsu but, thats unfortunetly been lost in history since he was beheaded in 1876 under false terms to keep the secrets of the Ishin hidden forever. He was said to use a low Iai stance but its all speculation, however a iai style would prove most effective for an assassin as the technique can be executed with lightning speed and appear with little intention of fighting as the sword remains in the scabbard.

Then there is Sakamoto Ryoma. He was trained in the style of Hokushin Ittou Ryuu. He was said to be a master at the level in which he could open his own school. He, however, is probably MOST famous for the aformentioned fight in which he brandished a Smith and Wesson pistol given to him by Takasugi Shinsaku. He was trapped in a room and his opponents (i think they were Kyoto Mimiwarigumi(Kyoto Sentry Group)) used yari to keep him at a distance so he pulled his pistol out and shot his way out of the room.

My Final choice is Katsura Kogorou. He was a master in Shinto Munen Ryuu and was said to be undefeated EXCEPT for Sakamoto Ryoma. some sources say he was not quite as much a swordsmen as a thinker, and he was the leader of the Choshuu faction of the Ishin Shishi. he however seems to have been an exceptional swordsmen in the end.

1 person likes this.
  9. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm post ressurection i guess

well i would like to expand on Tennen Rishin Ryu

Kondo Isami's adopted father Kondo Shusuke was the 3rd master of the Shieikan Dojo. Kondo Isami took the title of Shihan and became the 4th master, and in 1876 he named Okita Souji as his succesor and the 5th Shihan of the Shieikan, however, neither of them would survive the Bakumatsu and thus Tennen Rishin Ryu was lost forever. Okita's older brother Okita Rintaro also studied at the Shieikan but he never followed his younger brother into the Shinsengumi and its likely that he never mastered the style to begin with.

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm.... im so bored... im ressurecting posts in a forum that no one posts in anymore...

a little more... information reveals that Tennen Rishin Ryu did exist to the modern day, but the kata that the Shinsengumi used are lost.

11. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

like professor membrane said once to his son....

SSSOOOONNNN... you better not be raising the dead again!!!!