Swordsmenship Today

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Hitohiro, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

well thats nice, n a lot of ur points do make sense, but mayb one day some of the corporate boneheads will develop a heart or something

2. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

ok, well lets get back on topic, unless we've covered everything already, is there anything we've missed.

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

well not to say anything bad about them it's just on the fact that guns are easier than the sword. I'll try to explain with the best of my ability.

The main tendancy is that this time we live in is the most lazy time ever what i mean be that as technology is progressing simple task are becoming hard for the average person thats why the "GUN" which is widly used in what i see in the posts is now the weapon of choice because of less work or effort to put in to it. While the sword takes years to master years which our youth defile it by saying it takes to long i know this isn't every body but it does mainly tell you how the world is now youth say no i want the easy way of things i want no struggle or pain to ackomplis my task we want it done for us.

That's what i belive any way oh and me_dreaming_zzz the one cops carry from what i can tell is a .45 pistol they dispersed with the 9mm pistol because of crack attics running at them they switched to .45 because of how much more power it has.

4. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

good point. yeah i agree, people want everything now, life became so hectic. and its also easier to obtain a gun then to obtain a sword (a real proper sword).

5. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

and to point another thing out getting a sword is almost impossiable you need to have one made if you want one bad enough.

Also people are afraid of close combat if they have a gun im not though i rather have fist to fist any day shows your true character when you fight hand to hand im a scrapper by nature just love a good fight when im in it :cool: doesn't mean i go start ones just like to fight

6. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

bringing us back to the point why guns are are more popular, they're easier to get a hold of and, to tell the truth, are usually more effective. guns can go a long distance adn can be used more or less simulataneosly. but i still prefer swords. thanks for your input.

7. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

yeah thats true on the guns although i wish the sword was the main weapon of choice still well it isn't now but doesn't mean you cant practice with it and feel like your a part of history

1 person likes this.
  8. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

haha, you got a point there, but we dont practice it to feel like a part of history. we practice it because we feel it is our duty or destiny to learn it and use it when and if the time comes.

9. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

I agre with Kenshin on this. WE dont practice it to feel like samerai did we practice it because it feels... right like that is what is supposed to be there. At least thats my interpretation of it. *sorry i havnt beeen posting* The really bad part is that most ppl choose guns..and its hard to get up close to a guy with a gun.... unless you have realy accuret movement and block it with the sword which can damage it.... way off topic!

10. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

okay true that is true on that but the reason why people use a sword is often that they want to learn somthing that people dont want to learn no more and reason for the guns taking people out at longer range because of less fatalities for the side that needs to win and more cassualties on the oppisite side

11. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

ashika, your more or less right, but nightmare, we dont practice it because we want to learn something other people dont want to. we practice it because we fell its a part of us, from the day were born. some people just feel a connection with their sword or the sword. some people dont, its not a bad thing if you dont but the people who do get to experience something not a lot of other people will ever have the chance to.

12. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

Then could the same thing be said about the gun of how a conection is formed right off the bat sorry but im just wondering on that

13. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

probably not, usually, your soul goes into the sword cause its treated as part of you. not just as a weapon. guns on the other hand, are weapons and nothing more.

14. Wolv

Wolv New Member

swordsmanship

to put it simply swordsmanship is now a sport about getting points. before it was a matter of life and death and if a student did not view it as so during traning he would get injured of die.

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Its something that has to be remembered in the course of learning. I know of a dojo in california called "The Dojo of the Four Winds". They teach a wide spectrum of martial arts. in this course they teach Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu using Shinken, or live swords. i think this is an excellent way to teach although dangerous. Because the student is using a live blade, it makes the student truly learn about what he or she is doing because they're risking death. in other words, your not going about it half-assed. You truly must be learning the art.

16. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

it sorta gives you a reason to move to cali doesnt it. some people treat as a sport and some people treat it as more.

17. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

Seeing as how the conversation died somewhat, being the "Thread Necromancer" its time i bring my thread back from the ashes, lol. So last we were talking about how swordsmenship has become a sport. While this is true, there are a lot of people who dont practice for the tournaments and such but on their own and for reasons of their own. We were also discussing relationships bewtween weapons. We agreed the sword and the samurai had a relationship with each other while a gun and someone using it, actuall dont have a relationship, as far as im concerned. Any thoughts.

18. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

sounds kinda weird but yes, you start becoming one with your sword and its unique to you... something you cant replace if you loose it. With a gun its not so special and your not as dependant on it. Swrodsmanship is a skill and something to kind follow you life in it just feels better to have a sword at your side instead of a gun.

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

With a gun its really a simple thing. You line up your sights and pull the trigger. (of course sniping and other such long range gunnery is much harder) With the sword, you have to be faster than your opponent, smarter, and have more guts. It takes years to learn all these things and you have to control yourself as well.

20. Takamatsu1986E

Takamatsu1986E New Member

You also have to earn your skill with a sword. this causes a certain amount of maturing that doesnt happen with guns. the pain, time, determination, and focus required to learn swordsmanship tend to be beyond those immature enough to misuse the power gained.