Art Tablet/Touchpad/Mouse/Scanner etc.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Suzu, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

::Survey::
    What input devises do you use?

2. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Darn! I forgot to tick that poll box....I can't even delete this post and recreate it @_@!

3. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

hmmm, well for art, I scan my images, but for the time being its inoperable because I need to figure out whats wrong with the drivers I acquired (since I upgraded to xp).

I have no money for a tablet :(
    that leaves my mousey. just me and my mousey.

4. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

hehe.. I always consider using a mouse instead of a tablet to draw, a strength in any artist ability. I mean a mouse is not like a pencil which you can handle very easily. If one masters drawing by mouse, he is very special. Especially drawing using freehand.

I'm not against tablets either. They can be more direct and easy when coloring, drawing, and CGing... Fast too :) and the effects created could be great!

5. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

well Skuld, the weird thing is, I've naturally gotten used to the mouse being on the right side of my computer. When I was younger I placed the mouse on the left side, but it felt really weird, plus all shared computers, like at school and family one's are oriented for the right-handed majority. (position of computer, keyboard, printer on desk) So I had to get used to using my right hand for using the mouse. I've gotten used to it, and of course I use my right hand to draw and do graphics on the computer, but I still think it may be harder for me to do better, because of the left-handed bane. ^_^

6. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I really can't draw anything in a graphics program using a mouse for some reason... that's why I usually end up drawing it in pencil first then adding in colour and shading on the computer. Although a tablet would be really helpful, I don't have like 100 dollars to spare right now :(

7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I understand your predicament That_guy! its like we are related in money problems too, ne?
    Well, someday I'll have it all!!! or umm, a delusion that I have it all. Either way, I'll someday have it all!

8. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Ah! Yeah I should have added that tablets can be so darn expensive ;.; ... especially Wacom tablets...

but I think it's cool Seraphim that you use both of your hands in art. Left with traditional mediums and right for CGs. WOw! Now that's what I call an great artist :)

Probably the best way to do graphics is by drawing, scanning, then cleaning and cg as That Guy said.

The problem with this method is that, er well, I keep smudging and erasing unwanted lines which my crappy scanner scans. They're horrible, and sometime I have to redraw the pic again by using the mask tool and mouse @_@! IT takes me forever...

9. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I think the best way for you to save time, is to trace your image onto another sheet of paper for a perfect line ;)

I know it sounds like a waste of time, but it will save time on the computer, no?

10. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Hmm... I should try that. Or, what I can do is play around with the levels, or channels at photoshop :D

Thnx fer the tip Seraphim :)

11. Yuna

Yuna New Member

WOW AN ART FORUM! my fav my fav!

I use the mouse to CG and draw on the computer. I visit drawing chats often, and practice drawing there with my little mousey :)
    *huggles*

Sadly, I can't use my scanner cuz, sniff, it's not functioning properly... I want a tablet too ;.;! can't get one though, not enough pocket money. Piggy bank status =empty no gil!