Video Games Tales of the Abyss

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fushigi Rockna, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Fushigi Rockna

I AM NOT THREAD HAPPY SHUT UP.

Anyone play Tales of the Abyss? It's the most recent in the Tales of series (Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Eterenia, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Symphonia and much much more...) Personally, I think it's one of the best.

After Tales of Legendia they returned to elements used in Symphonia. The Battle system is nearly identical in how it works and in appearance to the one in Symphonia. The graphics are nicer than Symphonia however, as they have disregarded the chibi appearance, and now have the characters looking not so cutesy. It still feels and plays like an anime however, with a couple of well done anime cut scenes. Also, the older skit style we last saw in Symphonia, but didn't see in Legendia, returns.

You play 6 playable characters this time, not 8 (although a 7th may appear for brief periods of time....) They are:
    -Luke, the son of duke Fabre struggling with amnesia, always confined to his home...
    -Tear, the strange woman who appeared hell bent on killing her older brother, and Luke's teacher, Van...but why?
    -Jade, a very talented fonist and highly regarded Colonel, has a nice habit of pissing people like Luke off...
    -Anise, the young Fon Master Guardian (the fon master, Ion, being the one in charge of the Order of Lorelei, the world's 'religion'. Think of a more powerful and younger Pope.) who loves money and Luke....because he has money. 8D
    -Guy, a servant of the Fabre household with excellant swordsmanship and a fear of women.
    -Natalia, a princess, Luke's cousin and fiancee, who wnats to do everything she can for her people.

Now then, checklist:
    -lovable characters you'll enjoy playing? Check.
    -at least one character with an 'odd' weapon? Check. (Anise fights atop a giant puppet)
    -A character with a rather big bust? Check.
    -A main theme that has to deal with a social issue of the now? Check. (Symphonia was discrimination. Abyss is cloning.)
    -Wonderful character designs by Kosuke Fujishima (creator of Ah! My Goddes!)? Check.
    -Beautiful anime cut scenes? Check.
    -'Demon fang'? Check.
    -long complicated storyline that gets better and better? Check.
    -Awesome villains? Check. (God generals for the win!)
    -Many recipes to cook? Check.
    -Funny skits? Check.
    -An adorable little side creature? Check.
    -Alternate character costumes? Check.
    -Multiple playthroughs? Check.
    -A bonus boss who's 20 times more powerful than the REAL final boss? Check.
    -'Dark' weapons? Check.
    -Great theme song by BUMP OF CHICKEN? Check. (the version for the english version has no singing D: )
    -Excellant music? Check.
    -Lots of fun? Check check and check.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Boxart

Scroll down for an excellant Tales of the Abyss review.

and for more images...

So, whose played? (or now wants to)

2. Fushigi Rockna

Lol loser. =P

........have you played Symphonia then?

3. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I want to play it. Wondering if I can steal my brothers or my sisters PS2.

I am stuck with Dreamcast, Game Cube, Wii, and Game Boy Advance.

4. Sieghardt

Sieghardt Man With the Machine Gun

I wanted to like this game, I really did. I bought it, got about 15 hours in, and ended up abruptly stopping and selling it. I'm sorry, but if I have to rescue Fon Master Ion one more time, i'm going to go ape-****.

I'd rather play Legendia or Symphonia.

5. Fushigi Rockna

Ion dies tho at one point XD so in the end it doesn't matter

Dude...in Symphonia Colette was kidnapped ALL THE TIME. o_O More than Ion so....

6. Sieghardt

I was okay with Collette being gone most of the time, my dawgs Zelos and Regal kept me company.

But seriously. It seems like every time the plot ALMOST got awesome in Abyss, Ion, Anise, or some other scrub got kidnapped.

I liked Guy though, he was badass.

Jade was one of my least favorite characters in an RPG, ever. Horrible personality, disgusting voice, terrible design.

I did like the game though...just couldn't stay focused on it.

7. Fushigi Rockna

Whoa. You're the first person I met to not like Jade, for real. o_o; I loved Jade. (not as much as some of the other people I've spoken to tho) Not as much as Anise and Legretta and even Dist, but Jade was good for many a giggle.

........I liked Guy because he was such a badass character till a woman got near him. XD
    Although the cause of his gynophobia, the sacrifices of all those women trying to save his life and him waking up cover ed in their corpses, made me sad. :(

There's ALWAYS a character in a tales of game who gets kidnapped sooooooooooo much apparently. X3;;

8. Sieghardt

I suppose Legendia's would have to be Shirley.
    Never got far enough in Destiny or Phantasia(the only others I've played) to know about them, but Mint joins you from a jail/prisony place so i'm gonna take a wild guess and go with her.