Movies The Fellowship of the Ring

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by That guy!, Dec 1, 2001.

1. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

One Ring to rule them all
    One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all
    And in the darkness bind them

On December 19th the movie that we've all been waiting for is finally coming. The first part of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Fellowship of the Ring!

I recommend that everyone go and see this, especially if you're a fan of Record of Lodoss War. I've read the books many a time, and now I finally get to see the books come to life.
    Well, there were the cartoons(wasn't one an anime?)...

Well, a question :
    Who is your favourite Lord of the Rings character?

[This message has been edited by That guy! (edited 12-01-2001).]

2. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Yes, one of them was anime...not verra good, sassenach. The best are still the books, I've reread 14 or 15 times in the special edition 7-book way. Frodo in the movie doesn't look like I'd imagined him. My fave character? Sam Gamgee? Bilbo Baggins? Frodo Baggins? Peregrin (Pippin) Took, Meriadoc?
    I dunno. "Videos fade away, but literature will always remain...", A certain Rambling Otaku.

------------------
    I know that you know that I know that you know that I know you know, but do you know?

3. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I've got quite a bit to say here, so let's do this in some semblance of the asides by Tevye in Fiddler On The Roof. Just picture They Gave Each Other A Pledge playing in the background and you've got the idea.
    I'm just going to warn y'all in advance that there's a few spoilers in this one, so don't read it if you've not yet read the books.

[TOPOL MODE ON! [​IMG]]
    Strider, y'alls! Aragorn son of Arathorn is such a cool character. I love the way he talks to everyone, and how he treats them: with dignity, wisdom and respect.
    On the other hand, I've always been a Gandalf fan. They say not to meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger (as the old gaffer used to say), and that statement suits me as of late as well. I find Gandalf kind of resembles Jesus, right out of the Bible, what with how he comes back from the dead (well, not actually death, but from a seeming doom in Moria), and with how he allows Wormtongue to escape execution in Rohan, when he could have just watched the bugger fry. Then there's his constant wisdom. He's truly a figure to look up to, and not just because he's taller than a hobbit.
    On the other hand, there's Treebeard, Fangorn, or whatever you want to call him. It's just too bad he won't be in the movie [​IMG] ... I love the whole Ent thing, with how they try not to be "hasty" and how it takes them so long to say anything, like when Treebeard rambled on for a whole paragraph to say hello during Entmoot.
    On the other hand, there's Boromir, Mr. Honour himself. Aside from the whole being lured by the Ring's power thing, I thought the Man of Gondor was really cool, right up to his hero's death.
    On the other hand, there's Tom Bombadil. I loved this guy! With his continual singing and the like, he reminded me of the way I act at school, except with magical powers. Every part with him in it was so much more fun.
    On the other hand ... THERE IS NO OTHER HAND!!!!
    [TOPOL MODE OFF! [​IMG]]

Yowzah! After that, I wonder how many hands I have ...

------------------
    SOMEBODY'S GOTTA FEEL THIS!

4. That guy!

Truly my favourite character is Gandalf. J.R.R. Tolkien even created Gandalf's character in the image of Christ.

Another of my favourites is Strider/Aragorn... He is just plain cool! And I agree with you that his dignity and respect make him a great character.

In the movie I can't wait to see how John Rhys-Davies plays Gimli... hehe "Feel the power of my axe!"

5. Meaikoh

Hmm, you're right. Maybe Gandalf is my fave! You guys better have read both books/series, the hobbit and The lord of the rings. Yessss my preciousssss

6. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Oh, I've read the books [​IMG]

Loved them. I am just mad that Harry Pot decided to come out right before LOTR, thus drawing the attention of the feeble masses away from what could be one of the coolest movies ever.

I think I always like Bilbo. I love hte scene in the Hobbit where he gets all his annoying guests. Too bad there isn't a Hobbit movie in the works.

7. Meaikoh

Bah! THe Harry Potter books were ok. But the movie should not exist. And that movie is not better than LOTR, it's just gonna attract more kids, that's why it'll be more popular, but that's all!

------------------
    ~The Way Of The Water Is A Difficult One.~

8. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Have any of you seen those "Glass Goblets" that Burger King has? It's like a flashback to when I was a kid ... I find myself going there just to get the cups ... all I have is Strider though.

------------------
    You wanna see the apocalypse?
    THEN LOOK INTO MY EYES!

9. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

10. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

lol.. talking about Burger King, I have all the toys now! I just have to get back to London and add Elrond to the collection and my RING OF POWER IS COMPLETE!! MWA HA HA!!!
    and where the cups are concerned, I think the Frodo one is the best with a higher quality. They glow! I wish they were different colours though instead of the pinky red...

My favourite character, for some reason ever since the first time I read the trilogy has been Arwen Evenstar. She has a small part in the trilogy, and they've added scenes for her in the movie.. but something about her... and as well, Galdariel..maybe cuz I'm a girl. Gandalf is cool too and my favourite place in all of the Trilogy is Rivendell, where Bilbo sings songs to the elves...sigh...(bit annoying parts)
    Tom Bombadil is awesome, but I'm afraid he may not be in the movie.. [​IMG]

I'm actually very happy they picked Elijah to play Frodo cuz the depictions of all the Hobbits in the movie are closer to my original mental picture I made while reading the novels, compared to the animations with ugly Bilbo and old Frodo with baggy eyes and fatty Sam..but sigh Frodo is like 48, isn't he? but that means nothing at all.

anyways Tolkien's original sketches of the Hobbits make for really scary looking blokes.

11. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Wahay! Tomorrow it comes out! Christmas has come early this year, and twice! FFX, Lord of the Rings, this rocks!

------------------
    THEN LOOK INTO MY EYES!

12. morphous

morphous New Member

my personal favourite characters are the black riders..even though there not a main character....there still cool...my other favourite character is strider..
    so has anyone seend the movie yet??

[This message has been edited by morphous (edited 12-19-2001).]

13. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I'm going on Saturday, I believe. I wanted to go last night ... Well, let's just say it's times like those that make me wish I had a car ... and a full driver's license ... and money ... and time ...

How 'bout you, MC? You reading the books?

------------------
    THEN LOOK INTO MY EYES!

14. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Well, I've just come back from seeing this movie, and all I have to say is ITS SUPERB!
    I even jumped in fright a couple times. Seph says 3 hours of lovin' goodness (whatever that means)

15. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

Being the only geek on the face of the planet who's not a Tolkein fan I feel somewhat left out X_x. The movie does look good though...

~ Lady Aoi: Wasn't Frodo the last secretary general of the UN or something? ^^

16. That guy!

Even if you're not a Tolkien fan it looks like a great movie to see [​IMG]

I'm waiting until I can go and see it with my girlfriend to see it. Which I hope is soon...

Were there any scenes changed from the book? And I hear they took out Tom Bombadil!! how could they, that Bard rules... (I guess it'd be 3 and half hours if they did have him in though)

17. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Yeah, they took out good old Tom, but I guess that if they left him in, the movie would have been around four hours instead of three and ten minutes, what with the whole long part about the forest, then in Tom's house, and then the Barrow Wight ...
    Well, all in all, it was a decent film, but the book was way better. If I didn't love the books so much, I would have liked the movie a little more. Strider's not nearly as cool in the movie, and Gimli whines too much. The guy playing Gandalf was great, and so was Saruman. The battles rocked the roof off the theatre, but my dad complained they made his head spin ... literally. It runs in the family, I guess ... Anyway, my sister wants to drag me off to see the movie with her because she doesn't know anyone in the area to see it with ... looks like more Lord of the Rings for GNZ ...

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"
    -Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship Of The Ring-

18. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I hear the dvd director's cut has 30-40 more minutes of extra footage. I wonder if Tom would be there, cuz that wouldn't be nice for the actor who played him to have been cut out. But I know they play on Gimli's attraction to the beautiful Galadriel.

Me.. I can't wait til the Third Movie to see Lady Éowyn kick some a$$

'Let's go hunt some Orc!' -Aragorn

19. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Well, I finally went and saw the movie tonight, with my family. We had to drive to the next town to find somewhere it was plying though :) I thought it was ok. It suffered a little from the same problem Harry Potter is supposed to have had.. It tried to put too much in. (This all stems from the fact that making a good movie from a book is damned near impossible) Too many events meant too little time for each one, and too little time to develop cnd get to know/get fond of the characters. This pulled it off better than Hairy Pot though, from what others have said about Hairy Pot (which I've not seen)

I thought this movie did as well as can be expected for a conversion of the book. It is just really hard to do it right. The balance between lasting 6 hours, and losing some of the bits from the book was ok.

The only thing that sucked was that we were in the back, near the back speakers, so the background music drowned out some of the dialog.

I eagerly await the next installment.