Television The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Chane, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Wow. This info is pretty old (two years already) and yet somehow it has been news to me. In 2009, Conan O'Brien is scheduled to take over Jay Leno's hosting of The Tonight Show when Jay Leno retires. Still good news, I would say. Personal preference I suppose, as I find Jay Leno to be so unjustifiably obnoxious with his jokes as if repeating the punchline three or four times somehow makes the joke funnier. Frankly, I find Kevin Eubanks to be a more admirable cast member on the show.

Though I guess some would find it strange that I find Conan's almost not-funny sense of humor to be better. I can't help it, I love him. He's just positively so goofy and nerdy and that's what makes it hilarious (even if his claims of being unpopular and the show being low-budget are as far from the truth as you could get). I also find the skits on his show to be more humorous as well, but then again I found myself being humored by Jackass 2, so hey.

Anyways... I haven't seen anything touching on this subject and I'm not sure just how popular The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Night with Conan O'Brien are among our masses so I'd like to find out what everything thinks of the respective hosts and their preference.

2. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Conan and Leno are okay.

Stephen Colbert and John Stweart are the best.

What I don't get about the newly titled 'Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien', will it be just like Conan's current show, or will there actually be something new, or a mix of the two?

Also, Conan is doing preety well right now. Ads everywhere, including on the X-Box 360 Marketplace even, and in high-def too. It's not your everyday show that goes Hi-Def on it's own, but hey.

At any rate, yes, a lot of people know about both characters, and combining the shows may be a good idea, but I dunno.

The biggest known name of late night shows has got to be John Stewart. With over ten years of doing the 'news', he's a master, also the reason why he was chosen to host "Night of too many stars" on sunday.

I personally prefer Stephen Colbert, but Stewart has a lot more runtime on him.

-Seishin

3. Chane

Chane Audience of One

When I watched Conan last night, Regis commented on it a bit and Conan doesn't even know most of what's going on (including whether Max Weinberg and the Max Weinberg 7 will be making the move as well). It's not so much a "combining" as Jay Leno passing the torch off to Conan just as Johnny Carson did to Jay Leno, and Jack Paar did before Carson. Jay Leno actually seems to be the second longest-running host of The Tonight Show (seventeen years, second to Carson who was there for thirty. Paar hosted for five years, and Steve Allen before him for only three). As I remember, Conan's show is just Late Night (previously Late Night with David Letterman before Letterman left for CBS), and Conan has been doing it for about thirteen years now (and will wrap up with sixteen as he takes over in 2009).