tIME PERIOD

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by The_bounty_fry, Mar 15, 2004.

1. The_bounty_fry

The_bounty_fry New Member

I dunno but i kno that the series take place around the 20th century, and thats what i don't like. i wish it was still old times so magic and high skills would be more real. cuz every time i see a power line or a train i get mad, guns ruin it too. well what are ur opinoins ?

2. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

what are you talking about?
    are you sure this is the right forum?
    there is no magic in Rurouni Kenshin. and it doesnt take place in the 20th Century...it takes palce in the 19th, to be exact.

3. sweetasuka

sweetasuka Ahh Ice-Cream!

he/she might mean the movie Samari X. They do have guns and canons and other stuff like that in that movie, which is sad because a lot of people died in that movie. But if it's not the movie being asked then I don't have any idea what he/she is asking. And it is the 19th century not the 20th.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Also, that's what I see the whole point of Kenshin is. In fact, it's alluded by a *lot* of people in the opening episodes that no man should be able to carry around a sharpened blade unless you were in an army. It's kinda like fighting against time, while in the meantime Kenshin also wants to push it forward.

It being set in the 19th century is also the decline of samurai (if I remember correctly through one of Gensai's Kenshin lectures) and fits perfectly for Kenshin. Powerlines and trains are not commonplace, but they do have their place in that timeframe. Guns also don't take away the feeling of Rurouni Kenshin. It's kinda like saying Muskets are modern equipment. And you can tell that, at least at the Kamiya dojo, electricity wasn't used at all. Just in the more commercial and very english-influenced areas.

As far as skills. I think that everybody in the show had skills. Even Yahiko, who started out little more than a thief, gained impressive skills in the Kamiya Kasshin school by the later episodes. And especially in Sheishounen.

As far as magic...well, there could be magic, if one was smoking weed while actually watching it.

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

well they had guns and cannons during the bakumatsu as well. they are the reason that the Ishin won the war. gun originally came to japan with the dutch traders in about the 14th century. although the Japanese government ackowledge their power they were considered to be not worthy of the Samurai.

6. The_bounty_fry

Just to say that weapons such as cannons, were not worthy would be dumb to say because lord tokagowa used gun powder to unite Japan. And i understand it's the essence of this series, but in a history point of view, they would be considered the bad guys because they did not want to westernize. Hey if they stayed the old way, we may have never had the attack on pearl harbor. :sweat2:

7. Chibi Sango

Chibi Sango New Member

good point....but still like everyone else has been saying it's the 19th and they did have cannons. but i think they had like wooden ones. and they did have guns. and why the hell would you want magic in a series like that?! it's somewhat history related! they probably didn't use magic! besides if it wasn't history related it still wouldn't need magic because it's cool already. Shessha thinks you need to read a little more about Rurouni Kenshin, that i do.

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

well, i didnt say that Shogun Tokugawa didnt use gunpowder but i did say that when they were brought to Japan in the 14th Century they were considered an inferior weapon.

9. The_bounty_fry

Good that we agree on some things. I may have been confused, as for the magic thing that is. By magic i was refering to that fact that they had super human powers ( but hey, it's an anime !)

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

many of the moves done in the show are exaggerated but many of them are possible.

11. DistantSamurai

DistantSamurai New Member

ficitonalized swordsmanship is the proper word not "magic". Kenshin series involving magic *shivers*

But yeah the techniques are a bit exaggerated but some are more or less possible.

and like previously said. kenshin took place in the 19th century not the 20th. ^______^