Creative Writing Tips/Suggestions on writing stories

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Sachiko, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

Hi, I'm writing an original fantasy story, and it's really lacking some stuff, but I don't really know what. It just doesn't seem fluent or something as I read it.

What makes a piece of story (let's say short story) good? What tips do you have? ^^

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

What makes it "good"?

Though I'm not one to really speak, I will anyway :p

What makes writing "good" is not asking yourself that question. I know that sounds kinda bakawards, but let me try and explain that somehow.

Scenario 1:
    Let's say you sit down and start writing away, a story involving an original character you've thought off, and his first day in a foreign land. You have an overall plot, but you're just going on instinct and whim (aka "stream of consciousness"). It turns out that after you finish, you read it over and realize that though it was fun, it's really just a jumble of events that don't make any sense whatsoever in your original design.

Scenario 2:
    Same plot and character, more rigid methods. You plan out exactly what will happen ahead of time, and when cool ideas come your way, you "toss them curbside" 'cause they'll not fit where you wanted to go. It's a slow, productive session, that produces a good bit of work, and it almost tires you out.

In scenario 1, you didn't care about any restrictions, or thoughts of how or why things happened. And even though the end result was jumbled as opposed to scenario 2, I'd bet my bottom dollar that the first piece (given a little bit of touching up on another write-thru) would be far more in quality than the second.

To write a good piece, just forget about everything else. "Live" as that character for one writing session, and do what s/he would do. If you can do that successfully, you're on your way!

BakaMattSu, long-winded typist...

3. JEDI_X

JEDI_X New Member

I'll write more later.. but most important, in my experience, is to KNOW your characters. Inside and out. Many times then, the stories write themselves. You're not writing a story, merely running after the characters with a pen and paper, recording what they do and where they go.

4. Hikaru

Hikaru New Member

They've practically said it all, Sachi!
    Got nothin more to add..say, how did the story come out? you already submitted it, didn't ya?

5. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Late, as usual :^^:

I usually try to go with Matt's "scenario 2" on more serious fics, and "scenario 1" for humor fics. When I get cool ideas (when using scenario 2) I play the scene over and over in my mind and try to fit it in to the plot. I try to make ends meet and fix anything left loose. It's tiring and at times frustrating, but I find the challenge is part of the fun. ^^

As for wording, I play the scene over and over in my head with light narration and dialogue, adding more words to it as I go along. When I'm satisfied and finally get to writing it, I play it over to remind myself of what I wanted to write, and POOF!, I write it. ^^

6. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Whatever anyone else says, one big thing you need is a cool name for your big main character.

7. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

yeah, get in character!!! Way to go!!!

BakaMattsu wrote:

I'll write more later.. but most important, in my experience, is to KNOW your characters. Inside and out. Many times then, the stories write themselves. You're not writing a story, merely running after the characters with a pen and paper, recording what they do and where they go.

---

Yes. I had just talked about this with someone online.

The point of knowing the characters is feeling what they feel, crying when they cry, laughing when they laugh... get inside their mind. Their past, their fears, their doubts, their feelings, the things that make them happy...

Of course. You need a plot. You need a series of events that will happen or MIGHT happen. Like the evil guy and his plan to conquer the world... etc.

I wrote my fics that way. Some plot... sometimes i daydream about scenes, or they come to my mind and i explore the idea. For example, there's this (imaginary) scene in Saber Marionette where Lorelei hugs Lime and she cries.

So, i was writing this scene, and the characters did everything by themselves! I just typed what i saw happening. Some people tell me that i'm leaving other fanfic writers behind :anime: but with this method (knowing your characters), the fics come and i just can't stop typing! One day i finished two whole chapters.

Well... my 2 cents :)

8. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

OOPS!!!! Sorry Jedi_X! Those were your lines.

Don't know why I said those lines were BakaMattsu's. JEDI_X gets the credit. Sorry (blush!)

9. Stardust Phox

Lol. Y'know what's funny, though? Sometimes I try and try (and try) to write for some fics but nothing comes out. And then, when I least expect it (and I say "Hm. Lemme see what I'd done here." and open the file) I start writing and the words flooooowww. ^^; I find it funny 'cuz Final Emotion (one of my SMJ fics) has turned out that way for the last 2 chapters. :shy: ^^;

Sometimes you nod only have to know the characters--it's the little details within the fic itself (those annoying little things that only give the plot a little push but are ever-so-necessary so you don't bore people to death) that make me take so long in my next chapters. ^^;; :catgirl: And then ideas won't stop flowing in, and I try to control myself, but it's hard!! ^^

*big breath through her nose, lets it out in a sigh, eyes closed all the time* Ah, the life of a writer. :D

10. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

I think similes and metaphores are always nice in a story.;)

11. Stardust Phox

Hai, hai!

Yup yup! Not only are they super interesting: they take up lots of space and make the narration, description, and dialogue flow nicely. ;)