Tomita CDs at CD Universe

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by Andrew, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Although the prices seem a bit high ($31.95), it looks like the new BMG Japan LP sleeve CDs are available for ordering at CD Universe. It says that they are backordered, but "usually ships within 3-10 days".

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.a...sao&HT_Search_Name=Tomita,+Isao&altsearch=yes

I also found a link to a movie called "Zatoichi Meets the One-Armed Swordsman" from 1971 in which Tomita is listed as the composer:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=movie&pid=6730152&cart=206784001

I hope the links work.

2. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

I usually get my stuff direct from Japan. Like amazon.co.jp is good once you get over all the Japanese on their site. CDJapan is good if you want everything in english. Comfort is great if you want to be in touch with a live CD shop guy. HMV would be good only they insist on Fedex which is triple the shipping cost of just as good and fast Express Mail Service.

CD Universe and similar places are buying them from a distributor who buys from a distributor so it's like shipping and as if someone bought it in a shop (i.e. retail price) and then raised the price to sell in their shop. There's only a slim cost advantage if you just buy one CD. Get say 2 and you've saved money and get probably faster delivery (EMS is very fast and about $13 for a couple CDs, more of course as you buy more).

As for Zatoichi - that was his second one (the 22nd Zatoichi film overall - I had to look that up, I'm not that great an expert;-). He also did "Zatôichi abare-himatsuri" ("Zatoichi at the Fire Festival" or something like that) the film sequel before (#21) the "One armed Swordsman" one you mention.

Someone was posting a bunch of mp3s on usenet's alt.binaries.soundtracks a couple weeks ago of several CDs worth of Zatoichi films, they were like a who's who of Japanese film composers of the 1960s and early 70s. Anyway that posting would lead me to believe there was/is a boxed set of Zatoichi CDs out. Not fully complete scores, but a bunch of more or less substantial tracks from many of the films - in other words, not just the title track, but a mid sized suite of cues.

3. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Thanks for all the info, Nick. Have you seen any of the Zatoichi movies by chance? I'm going off topic here, but a friend of mine lent me a Japanese horror movie (with subtitles) called Juon. If you like scary movies, it's worth checking out. :)

4. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

I only saw the new Takeshi Kitano revisionist one, which is fun, though I'm sure knowing the originals would add an extra layer. The music on the new one is by Keichi Suzuki, who's like the most important name in Japanese New Wave music since the late 70s - anyway the music, which is traditional sounding film music more or less in the new one is important at the very end.

I see though that Amazon.com has U.S. versions of many of the DVDs - including the 2 that Tomita worked on. (the numbers I gave are helpful in figuring out which film is which.)

As for Juon, as you might know it was just remade for I think a third time (not counting sequels) by the original director as "The Grudge", this time it's with Sarah Michelle Gellar. I would gess you saw the first bigger budgeted remake which is more available than the cheaper but supposedly better first time around. Roughly same thing happened with "The Ring", though supposedly the cheap first version was poor and the bigger budgeted second one is what started the big horror film trend in Japan.

But no, I usually catch up on these things when I have nothing to do and I run into them.

I'm usually more interested in unusual visuals and while a lot of these popular films have their good points, they don't have enough cool art direction.

5. Andrew

Andrew New Member

WOW! No, I didn't know that.. I really don't follow movies all that much, though Juon does have me interested in movies that are similar. It had a great vibe to it.

I'm not really sure which version is was, though it didn't seem like a large budget movie.

Care to share a couple of your favorite titles?