Tomoe & Rey are they similar?

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Dante_Torashin, May 31, 2004.

1. Dante_Torashin

Dante_Torashin New Member

they other day i was looking for some pics of Tomoe and found a site where people were talking about how Tomoe and Rey from evangelion are similar. I find that true but i prefer Tomoe and i think the only thing they have in com'n is the sad face. that's it. but i've never seen evangelion cuz i don't like it >.< but i was wondering what do you guys think?

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

You don't like in in what context? Do you hate the imagery in the show?

ANYWAY, I don't see the similarities at all. Rei was a driven machine, and Tomoe was an avenger turned lover.

The only real similairty I can see is their drive. Rei was nearly emotionless though, as Tomoe was nearly all anger.

3. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I can partly see where you are coming from. Tomoe had little emotion, but this was the norm for all Japanese back then, and today it still partly is frowned upon to show emotion in some circumstances(such as weddings, etc.) Other than this, I don't see too much of a connection between the two :( Gomen nasai!

4. Dante_Torashin

Dante_Torashin New Member

ah i see. but i just thought i brought it up. to just see what you thought about it.

5. Himura Tomoe

Himura Tomoe New Member

don'tcha know? Watsuki based Tomoe off of Rei Ayanami, and he called her a "cool beauty" heres a translation of what Watsuki said about Tomoe >>
    from Maigo-chans RuroKen Translations ^.^

The Making of the Characters--Yukishiro (Himura) Tomoe
    I really don't want to say this, but since the point of this corner is that it's "tell-all, no lies, nothing held back," I guess I will. Originally, I didn't have a motif for Tomoe. I had most of the story for the Remembrances arc before publication, and at that time Tomoe was just "a woman who is very beautiful, but you can't tell what she really feels;" a character you could summarize as a "cool beauty." (This is a digression, but when I was talking about "cool beauties" with my friend, he laughed at me. Is my interpretation of "cool beauty" wrong?) In the three years before her character appeared, I didn't come up with any other image for her at all, so when the time came for her to be introduced I ended up using an Ayanami-lookalike from Evangelion. Since the display of emotion and that transformation is the foundation of drama, and since a cool beauty is a cool beauty because she doesn't reveal her true intentions, without me realizing this crucial point, in her death scene she became a totally different character. On top of that, the way she died, shielding him like Yumi did, was a big mistake. What I felt about Tomoe went beyond self-reproach; I felt self-hatred. Drawing the first half with Tomoe as a cool beauty was fun, but when Tomoe herself felt love, I wanted her to be reborn into a different story. Then for sure, it would have been as my original cool beauty . . .
    The design was made under the same conditions, so it ended up being the Ayanami-lookalike. The only original element is the single point of light in her black eyes; I designed that thinking "This expresses her better than the image of unrevealed intention." But really, that's it. To tell the truth, in these four years while I've been drawing full-time, it seems like more things take sensivity out of me than put it back in. Even though I store up good information and come up with good ideas, while I'm letting them ripen into my own originals, I lose energy and strength and time. Tomoe is a character in which my own condition is vividly reflected. Now that I'm done drawing her, I feel a need to find a way of drawing a different kind of manga, and I've already slowly begun. Even those of you who were angry about what Tomoe could have been, if you continue to read my manga for a little longer I would be honored.