Martial Arts Training

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hitohiro, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

Training in the martial arts is very difficult at times but is very rewarding. As martial artists, we seek new ways to improve ourselves all the time and training of the physical, as well as the mental, is very important to that improvement. This thread is not only for those who have questions about new ways to train themselves, but as well as for those who have been doing it a while and have tips and tricks that they can share.

2. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

I have been trained in three different styles of Tanquondo. I quit at the end of fifth grade because I just didn't want to do it any more, at least that style. Sooner or later, I'm going to go back in some other form and do stuff. I still remember some things so I might be of some help.

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

*sighs*
    you mean Tae Kwon Do, a Korean empty handed martial art similar to Karatedo.

and as far as i can tell, there are no "styles" just the universal style of Tae Kwon Do which is Korean for (lit.) Kick Punch Way, more liberally translated to the way of kicking and punching, and dates back to the 50th Century BC in Korea during the period of the 3 Kingdoms.

4. Lance Leingod

Thank you for the spelling, I didn't know how you spell it.

And what do you mean 'empty handed martial arts'?

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

Empty hand arts are simply arts that dont involve weaponry. Technically, Karate is an empty handed art "Kara means empty, Te means hand"

these arts are all meant to be done without weaponry although often times there are mixed weaponry. especially with some of the crappy unaccredited "dojos" in the world today.

ie, Bubba's blackbelts! we teach Karate, Kendo and Tae Kwon Do!.

firstly, "schools" like this obviously have little knowledge of any of the arts and are probably teaching incorrect form and technique. Secondly you have mixed cultures, Japan and Korea which have little to do with eachothers martial arts.

although there are special cases, that being Kumdo and Kendo which are both "Nihon Kenjutsu". Kumdo is the Korean pronunciation for kendo which was brought to Korea in the early part of the 1500's when Toyotomi Hideyoshi invaded Korea. Though the arts differ in some ways in modern times, they did originally start as the same thing.

Thirdly, Kendo and Karate are VASTLY different arts, residing in majorly different areas, which means that probably the "leader" of this dojo has taken a Japanese sword and flipped it around a lot so as to make himself look good and then started teaching. which first off is BULL because the Japanese Sword is a sacred weapon of Japan, secondly, incorrect form will lead to injuries, and thirdly, flashy moves end up being unbelievably useless in a real sparring match.

6. Lance Leingod

The way you just put everything was some what rude, you know. Some of the things I have done are good and I have seen styles that do seem useless. We are all humans, people can tell if something is useless or not if they have enough sense.

As for the Japanese sword, I do have to agree on some things you say. As for the 'leaders' of the dojo, some have done it correctly so don't think that everyone does it wrong.

7. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

If I may....

I think what Hitokiri_Gensai was trying to say is that there are a lot of schools out there who just hand out belts, and it's unfortunate, but they're mainly Tae Kwon Do or Karate schools. Also, when he mentioned about the "leaders" flipping the swords and such, he was merely trying to point out that some people just trying to use that as way to attract more students. There are a lot of credited schools out there who teach both weaponry and open-handed art forms. On the other hand though, a majority of the schools who's main focus is open-handed arts and then try to include a weapons course, don't know much of the weapons style they are teaching, and therefore, teach the students incorrect form and they could get seriously hurt or worse.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and interpreted incorrectly but that's what I believe he was trying to say.

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

i didnt mean to be rude, i apologize, tis been a long day.

as for the Japanese sword thing, Karate is NOT a JSA (Japanese Sword Art) and there for is not based soley around the use of the Japanese sword, hence the incorrect stancing and such. Its HIGHLY unwise to take "samurai sword lessons" from ANY karate dojo simply because its not the focus of their art and therefore, going to be mainly incorrect.

you may not agree with that, but after 10 years of Nihon Kenjutsu and Iaido. i can tell you that 90 percent of the "schools" out there are just a bunch of nonsense.

9. Lance Leingod

Getting students to their dojos just because they're flashy is stupid and can get you hurt. Also, I happen to agree about the belts, they just hold up your pants, they're a waste of money and they really don't have a use other than rank.

And about the 90% part, you may be right about that but we might not. Even I don't know. Unless someone on here is a master swordsman, which I doubt there will be one.

10. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

Lance, you're right on the belt thing, that you are. But they are also a way for people to be recognized and respected for their accomplishments, let's not forget that. It's also true that your particular school may not have been one of those types of "schools". However, that doesn't change the fact there there are good deal number of those types of "schools" out there. I'm gonna have to ask that you respect everyone's input from now on and to not jump down their throats. From what I read, Hitokiri_Gensai did not attack you or your school, that he did not. He simply made a general statement that just happens to be true.

11. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

I'm confused isn't this supposed to be a discussion on the different training methods of martial arts schools and not a debate?

Also I have trained in Tae Kwon Do and Karate but both were at a young age. I know that Tae Kwon Do is a more focus on the kicking and leg motions as well as stances. Karate I can't really seem to remember that well when i did take karate it was when i was very young so not much I can give on input.

12. Lance Leingod

I'm not jumping down people's throats, how did you get that? I'm just agreeing with Hitokiri_Gensai and I don't think he 'attacked', I'm just saying that we don't know how many good schools are out there at the moment because we just haven't looked it up. But if you have then I won't say anything more about it.

As for my school, I didn't even talk about it.

I respect people and I'm sure I didn't say anything rude in my past posts on this thread.

13. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

Ok guys lets calm down, from what I can see here you guys are getting pretty heated. Gensai knows alot and it would be wise to listen to what he has to say and learn. I think you all have made good points but anyways....back to the subject. The only thing I know about Tae kwon do or Karate is there is a type of training called reps, doing a punch or a move over and over hundreds of times. Infact some of the worlds greatest Martials artists do thousands of reps a day. My father has met one of the greatest Brazilizn Ju-jitsu champions in America, and the man did over 6,000 reps a day. If you want to become strong, there is really no secret, just train hard and have inspiration.

14. Alchemy_Dude

Alchemy_Dude is addicted to bad ideas.

And in the case of Wrestling, do all those reps wearing three t-shirts, a sweatshirt (hood up), long underwear, and sweat pants. Inside. In the summer (just kidding, it's a winter sport. What, do you think I'm insane?)

15. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

lol Wrestling seems to be a different kind of sport.....interesting way of training

16. Alchemy_Dude

Who you wrestle is determined by your weight, so fat is a wrestler's worst enemy. It's always a good bet that your opponent will have around 7% body fat (the minimum allowed), so you have to use up all of your weight for muscle. Fat is just a waste.

17. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

*nods* yep yep ^^ I had a friend who was a wrestler lol He could not touch any of us because he was well....fat. But when he was down there on the mat he could wrestle and beat people easily...although he lost to another fatty lol. (No offense ment guys) But I have never ever wrestled...I think I will stick to the sword and staff for now lol

18. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

*ahem* Hey guys, lets keep this simply a training thread okay? Go and start a wrestling thread up on the Sports forum and talk about it there if you would please. Thanks.

19. Alchemy_Dude

Sounds good...

20. lucid

lucid New Member

"Kick Punch Way, more liberally translated to the way of kicking and punching, and dates back to the 50th Century BC in Korea during the period of the 3 Kingdoms."
    50th century BC! Even if that was a typo your still wrong because the 3 kingdoms period was around 200-300 AD. And I don't recall Korea having a major role in that.
    I feel I had to correct you because i got a condesending tone from your posts which you evidently have no right to use.