Trojan Virus Going Around

Discussion in 'News' started by Meaikoh, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Dear M2A members,

There is a virus going around IRC. If you use the program, there is a virus disguised as a picture called '***3.jpg'. I will not be posting a link here, however, DO NOT click the link should you see it.

If you should happen to get infected by accident, you can run a virus scan or you can close and reopen IRC. It is recommended that you run a virus scan nonetheless.

More info here

--MT

2. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

More info, should you get the virus anyway:

1.) The file name you don't want to click is "@$$3.jpg", only, well, normal letters. The profanity filter won't let you see it.

2.) The file name of the virus itself is "1[1].chm", and can be found in the temporary internet file folder when running virus scan.

3.) The official name that will come up when you scan should be "VBS/Psyme".

Just trying to help out.

3. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Dont mind me asking....but what does it do? LIke what does it destroy or corrupt?

4. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Well, from what I had observed from others having gotten it (I make it a point to not click on a link in IRC unless I know where it leads), there are several things the virus does. First, it will spam a link to itself on every IRC channel you are logged into at the time every twelve minutes. This is the prime means of spread. Second, it appears to remove any shortcuts to the "notepad" program in Windows, and apparently screws the program itself up quite a bit. Basically, you'd need to reinstall the program. Other than that, I suppose it's just a general annoyance, as it didn't really seem to do anything to the computers' system files or anything. The people who had gotten the virus didn't seem to have any real problems dealing with it. Honestly though, I'd rather get rid of it as soon as possible, in case there were other problems it caused in the long run.

5. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Who would want to click on that link anyway? People must be out of thier minds.....these days. *looks around*