Computers Troublesome Spyware

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kain, May 30, 2006.

1. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I'm having some trouble deleting some spyware off my computer and i'm wondering can anyone help.

They main source of the problem is some spyware called Surf Sidekick. I've run Ad-Aware and Spybot to try and solve the problem, but to no avail. When i run Ad-Aware, i'm told in the result that this folder is spyware, but when i order it to delete it, i get a message telling me that it can't do it and will try to do so on the next reboot. However it never does and its always there. I've found the file on my hard drive but when i try to delete it i get a message telling me that there is a sharing violation and that it may be in use. To try and combat this i have tried starting my computer without my modem powered off so that there would be no connection for it to use, but i still get the same sharing violation error.

I haven't a clue what else to do and its getting really annouying not being able to do anything on the computer without all these ad's poping up for no reason, even when i'm not using a browser. Can anyone give me some help?

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Try rebooting in Safe Mode and running your anti-spyware software- this should prevent it from starting up in the backgroud and giving you that "File may be in use" message. It doesn't have to have an active connection in order to be running, after all.

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

It's pretty much what Reisti said. Just because there's no internet connection, doesn't mean that it's not trying to do so. Safe mode -> Anti-spyware -> Spybot Search & Destroy -> Another free anti-spyware program usually gets rid of it nicely. You might even simply try to find it in your processes, stop the process, and try running spyware again.

The best defense with any spyware program is both a blocker and multiple spyware programs. It's been proven somewhere that Adaware does not catch everything, and neither does McAffee and Norton. They all catch different things. So, better to run multiple instances...at different times, of course.

4. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Oh, indeed. The best I've ever seen either perform had them both catch some 700 spywares each, on the same computer, in subsequent runs.

And, just in case you're not sure how to run Safe Mode:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

kaspersky AV and ADAWARE SE, nothing more needed

6. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

None of the above have worked, i still can't seem to get rid of that file, its always in use even in safe mode. I'm totally out of ideas :(.

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Back up important data, completely wipe drive, and start over. :)

Not even killing processes work?

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member