Art Tutorial Thread (Tut only)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tanuki, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

poom-poom will start us off with his eye cg tutorial:

1. pick a colour, any colour, every colour's a winner.
    (a light one).
    [​IMG]
    2. use the burn tool set to anything under 20. (usually about 15 or so.) use a soft brush. burn an iris and shadow area at the top as well as around the edges. if one of the eyes has heavy perspective, change the brush shape to a similar oval as the eye.
    [​IMG]
    3. burn the area again, but leave the extremities so a nice gradient builds up.
    [​IMG]
    4. burn the iris and top of eye a 3rd time. just to make the iris near black.
    [​IMG]
    5. set the dodge tool to highlight and choose a smaller brush, dodge area that isn't burnt. i usually highlight the bottom of the arc the most. as with the burning, it's best to set the level nice and low and dodge several times to build up the gradient.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    6. in a new layer add in the white sheen. i usually do a soft brush for this as well. it's best to do this on top of the line art layer, then you can highlight over the line art.
    [​IMG]
    it looks good to add sheen over the lines cause the white of the eye shines as much as the rest so it looks more realistic.
    7.in a new layer add some shadows to the white of the eye with 100% black. use an eraser to taper the edges of the shadows. continue the sheen in the white part of the eye.
    [​IMG]
    change the opacicity level to between about 15 and 25%. this makes a nice shadow level.:) .
    8. you can then change the opacity level back to 100% and add a slight gaussian blur if you want.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] .

los Endos.:cool:

remember if you don't like the colour at the end you can just put an extra layer on top and change the layer type to 'colour'. then you just add a flat colour and change the eye colour without losing all your work. (but it's better to get it right 1st time.)
    [​IMG]

hope this is good.:)

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Tutorial Thread

I thought it good to create a tutorial sticky.

This is a place where we can have the privilege to see tips/secrets/lessons from generous members. In return, please refrain from posting comments in here. The member who placed the tutorial in here may also create a separate thread for comments and questions :)

3. child of sin

child of sin ★★★★☆

>>Faces + CG tut's<<

intro: i'm so happy to post this tutorial here, and i hope you'll find it useful to all of you ^_0.
    note: this tutorials originally posted on allrpg forums, so don't be confusing by seeing it out there!!

ok then...
    tutorial No.1 (faces): this tutorial show's the basic way to draw faces, so i made only the front and side view tutorials.

1) to start, we must draw the guides of the head first, as you can see at (A), i draw the guides as a circle and a vertical line in the centre of it. note that the height of the face is depending on how long is the line is, so if you want to make a face to a char that's face is long, just make this line more longer.... and so, you can see that by lookin to (B ). now look at the horizontal line under the circle, this line is the guide to the eyes and ears, so when your gonna make eyes and ears just make it in the aria of that line.
    now take a look at (C), you can see that i added the elements to the sketch, (1)is the upper part of the skull, (2)the eyes, (3)the nose, (4) is the mouth.
    [​IMG]
    Note: stip (C) is just an example for showing the face elements locations only, so don't draw it.

2) after drawing the face's main guide which is (A), time to draw the face details all one by one, at first draw the eyes, look at the step (B ) you can see that the real location of the eyes is on the hor-line, and make sure to have the vir-line is exactly between the two eyes. then draw the nose (C), the mouth (D) and the hair (E) on it's locations as you see on the second pic.

[​IMG]

3) if you are drawing a female, just do the same about the face guide, but make sure that female faces have less corners than males. see the star on pic No.3 to imagine this point.

[​IMG]

4) now let's move to the side view guides. start with a circle just as the previous one, draw a line from the centre on the circle's outline as in (B ). after that, let's draw surface. try to start from the eye's location by drawing the nose and the upper part like you see at step (C), nothing special about the mouth so draw it at the right place and no more!

[​IMG]

5) you must have now the shape on (A) step. now, draw the eyes easily and keep on mind that you'r drawing it from the side, look at (B ). then draw the hair in the style you like..(C).

[​IMG]

6) girls too! Just do the same to make the female faces, but remember that you must do a few corners on the face like we did on the last female face tutorial. Take a look at (A) and (B ) on pic No.6.

[​IMG]

7) as you can find, we can make allot of styles with this way, just change the style of eyes or nose or what ever with the same guide sketch. Look at (A1),(A2),(B1) and (B2).

[​IMG]

that’s all of the basic face tutorial…^_^

****************************************************************************************************

tutorial No.2 (CG using Adobe PhotoShop 0.6 or 0.7):

before starting this, i recommend to use wacom tablet on this, it's allota better if you do ^_0!

1) after sketching and ink the pic you wanna CG, scan it and save to the BMP format, then go to image>adjust>brightness/contrast and fix it by decreasing the brightness and increasing the contrast a bit Look at pic 1.
    Note: I have the time to ink so I draw a quick sketch, and I’ll CG over it for now, but I recommended to ink before CGing at the beginning because it’s more difficult to color a pencil sketch on photoshop.

[​IMG]

2) that was Vanessa from KOF 2k,2k1 and 2k2. now start by creating a new layer and switch it to multiply mode, and press ok.

[​IMG]

now let’s start CGing that hot babe using basic anime CG style (cell shading) ^_^, so i’ll start with every thing belongs to the main body first, then we’ll do the shirt and the rest.

3) you’r now on the new layer, pick up the paintbrush tool and make sure that the brush mode is normal and the capacity is 100%, and if you have photoshop 0.7 make the flow 100% too. After that set the brush to hard round 90 to100 pixels. let’s make this layer is the skin layer. So chose the color you need for the basic skin color and start painting all the skin arias.

[​IMG]

4) lets make the shadow now, chose the lasso tool and select all the areas you want to do the shadow on.

[​IMG]

5) chose the shadow color and color the selected areas by paintbrush with the same sittings you used on the main skin color.

[​IMG]

6) deselect the selected arias and you must have something like this.

[​IMG]

7) now time to erase all the colors around the sketch. Go to the background layer and pick the magic wand tool and select all the places you want to erase by clicking on it.

[​IMG]

8) then go to layer 1 and press Del button on your keyboard, but there is a tiny places that still odd right?! so select the eraser tool and clean all that arias until you have this.

[​IMG]

9) now let’s make the lips. choose a color and bring the paintbrush tool and color the lips area. Then paint inside it with a darker color to add shadow. Look at the pic below.

[​IMG]

10) after that, choose the same main skin color and paint the edges of the lisp’s area to give it a good shape. then chose the wight color and add light to it by the paintbrush.

[​IMG]

11) color all the small and little objects on the drawing to finish the main body.

[​IMG]

12) now time to color the hair. As we colored the skin, we must have a main color, a shadow and a light, and just do it by lasso and paintbrush.

[​IMG]

13) there is too many ways to make the lighting on hair, just make your own as you like.

[​IMG]

14) by finishing the hair, your finishing the body’s CG work, so do the very same with the cloth as the skin and hair.

[​IMG]

now you finished Vanessa’s CG, but you can add more lightning effects if you like by using the color dodge by the airbrush tool.

[​IMG]

I wish that all of you guys can enjoy this tutorials and sorry for ma bad grammar and spilling ^_T.

~ I don't mind the spelling, thank you from all of us for the tutorials, I made the images smaller in attempts to free some upload time for everyone, hope this is okay, child of sin ^___^ oh and I noticed tut7.jpg is a dead image? :( ~ Ser

1 person likes this.
  4. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

Nice work on that Tut. Child of sin:)

here's my mini CG Tutorial:shy:

[​IMG]
    Thanks for hosting it Ser:)

5. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Quick Coloring Tutorial

When I get a chance, I'll expand on this and make this a good tutorial. ^_^
    Okay... so it's not much of a tutorial, but a little shove in the right direction. Ever wondered how you see Japanese art and there are no lines on it? Not very many people paint on their CG programs, but it's easy to do, and very beautiful. For beginners, lets start layerless.

Akay- So lets start from the top.

You've got a random painting program open. You can use a lot of the techniques Child of Sin shows us above.

-Get a brush, medium-sized, and and choose four somewhat similar shades of skin color, each darker than the last. You'll want to make four dots- each one of the shades- somewhere in the corner of your canvas.

-Use the color dropper to select the lightest shade. Draw a base- this is the basic face. It will look like a blob, basically.

-With the next shade, add a layer of shading, and do the same with the next shade.

-Now take the darkest shade and draw two oval-ish circles where you want the eyes to be. This can be messy!

-This is what it should look like so far- if it's your first time, it will not look like this. That's okay, try your best. :)

[​IMG]
    -Now, we'll use our buddy the smear tool. Blend, my friends, blend. Mush the colors together.

-Use the same concepts and tools to add features. You just did a face, so you can do it with lips and eyes, too! XD

-The nose is hard- you'll have to do it many times. Don't worry about it.

-This is the fun part! It's just like putting makeup on Barbies again.

[​IMG]
    It's all about creativity, and your own style. Keep trying, look at pictures and people if you need to!

YOU CAN DO IT!! XD

I'll be glad to help, too, if you want. Jus email meh. ^_^

P.S. Thankies to Linda Bergkvist, for piccy stuff.

6. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

eyes in five easy steps XD

[​IMG]

7. furryb

furryb Blind guy drawing...

FB's Simplified Tutorial.

This tutorial is for people interested in drawing raster based images on computer. It is illustrated using a pic drawn by AsIaNgUrL.

Before getting started, you need access to a program that utilizes layers. Photoshop, Paintshop pro and Opencanvas are examples. Open Canvas 1.1 is the only version I know of that is free. ((I do see some stuff about Pixia and "The Gimp". PM me if anyone tries them out.))
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Step 1: Start out with a clean inked drawing.
    • 72 dpi (Dots per square inch) for web graphics; 600 dpi for printing
    • Brightness contrast and level control used to clean up pic above.
    • Scan as a greyscale image

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Step 2: Set up layers for coloring.
    • Copy image into a new layer (The copy layer)
    • Set copy to "multiply" to make light areas translucent
    • Create another layer between the two.
      (Rename it flat color or something)
    • Apply all the solid colors you want on that layer

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Step 3: Set up layers for shadowing.
    • Create two new layers below the copy layer
    • Set two layers to 50% opacity
    • Add "light" shadows with one layer.
    • Add "heavy" shadows with the other.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Step 4: Set up layers for lighting
    • Create a new layer above the copy layer
    • Set layer to 75% opacity
    • Add "light" highlights with one layer.

Final Step: Set up layers for midtones
    • Create new layers above and below the copy layer
    • Set layers to 25%-75% opacity
    • Add different colors to each layer.

Extra:
    Freeware drawing programs
    Note: None of these programs are as versitile as Photoshop or PSP.

Photoshop Hints
    • Use hue/saturtion and brightness/contrast to manipulate color layers
    • Use the pencil tool to draw basic shadows and then the blur tool to soften them
    • Learn the selection tools and the transformation options
    • Strive for version 5.0 and up. Anything less doesn not support multiple undos. You will really regret it otherwise. :sweat:

Photoshop is my personal favorite for drawing. I've used it from highschool through college and beyond.

I'll add more if I can think of it. :sweat:

8. AsIaNgUrL

AsIaNgUrL ~*☆Dream AsIaNgUrL☆*~

argg i still dun now how to clean the image up!!!.... u_u
    misao~

9. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

nothing simpler.
    open the image in photoshop, hit ctrl L. this opens the levels window. Use the white eyedropper tool. (eyedropper furthest to the right). This will turn any tone selected to white. Thus you click on the darkest section of 'noise' and it will turn to white. It will also erradicate any line workwork lighter than the noise, so it's still important to get a reasonable scan.
    sorry, i'd put screencaptures in to illustrate, but i dunno how. :sweat:
    edit* do this in greyscale mode, or you can get discolouration of your linework as the levels separates the pigments.

1 person likes this.
  10. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I was trying to figure out how to do different text and have like and out line color. I have the latest version of adobe photoshop is there something better? Or can you do it in adobe? need a tut here. :D

11. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

there's not really any way of making an outline of text in photoshop. (not in 5 anyway, i can't vouch for anything higher). you could tranform the text layer into a regular layer, create a selection, expand it and fill it with colour, then select the original layer again and use it to trim the expanded "outline". it's dodgy though, and you'd loose definition of the typography.
    what you need is a vector based program, like illustrator or corel.

12. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I am looking to have make an image hazy around it. Like have a fog.

13. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Aww, why are the old tutorials pictures broken ._. These are great tutorials, i especially like poompooms eye tutorial (when it was working). And Ciel or other mods, yea i did read your message not posting here, feel free to delete this post, i just thought i'd bring up some attention to the broken images so it's in good intent :)

14. aarathi

aarathi New Member

Thank you for the tutorial. It helps me very much. It was very easy to understand.

15. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Hey guys seriously, why are the pictures broken?

16. Nancy08

Nancy08 Guest

Yeah, really good.

You guys are really resourceful when it comes to arts.

Keep the good work.

such a great help to all members.