TV series or OVA

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by c0ke, Nov 3, 2002.

1. c0ke

c0ke New Member

My brother just go into Rurouni Kenshin, and wanted me to buy the OVA because he thought it looked better.

I know nothing of RK, and even though people keep telling me how great the series is, I never got much interest in buying it or even renting it.

So Should I get what my brother wants or should I make him start watching it from the TV series?

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

The anime sticks to the manga's plot better. The OVA's are pretty much...I dunno. I'd get the anime first, then the OVA. Don't get me wrong, the OVA are great...and I love 'em to death. Over the anime, in fact. But the anime stays closer to manga roots, and I'm not too sure if that's what you want or not.

3. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Better start with the series so that he would see the action/dramatic/slapsticks scenes. The series has as great potential as the Ova's.
    I think that those who didnt not watch the series would not appreciate the ova's except if your brother doesnt care for the story and its characters and he is into fighting scenes . Then there will be no problem

4. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

For meself, I watched the Tukio Hen OVA first. But, the OVA's didn't mean as much to me because I had not seen the series yet. The OVA is probably better to see later because you'll understand it a bit better... but it may be a bit too dramatic for you compared to the series if you do that.

5. LiLd3vil4u

LiLd3vil4u New Member

Go for the series first. When you watch it first, your much more appriciative of the ovas. Besides then when you watch the anime then the ovas you can go..."OH so thats why..." its funner that way. :D personal preference of course.

6. Sol

Sol New Member

Heh, I just watched all 6 OVAs first. I still have to watch the rest of the series when I get them.

7. wolf_of_mibu

wolf_of_mibu New Member

i would get the anime first. i like it better than the oav series. but thats just me of course, since i love kenshin's SD form (oro...) ^^.
    but the oav rocks too. it was quite on the opposite of the series, with its dramatic approach.

8. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Thanks for you opinions everyone, but apparently my brother didn't want to see the

and decided to watch the OVA.

It could also be cause he don't really have time to watch the TV

9. saphire

saphire New Member

i watched the ova's around the 60th episode.

10. RuRoKeN

RuRoKeN New Member

Ova's rocks

well i watched the ova's before the series,and i was amazed,it's one of the best ever if not the best over all,and after that i watched the series and i was shoked,i hated kenshin the "funny guy",i wanted kenshin the hitokiri battousai,so if u want my advice well u should watch the series so u get used to this kenshin and then wach the ova when he was a killer and u will adore the Ova and u will see how much it counts,every aspect of it,the fights,the love,the killing and espacially the ending,i watched it about a 100 times,this my advice man and ur bro is right when he hates the kenshin of the series cz i'm sure he likes the hitokiri battousai.......

11. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I think it would be better of your brother watches the series first, not all of them thouhg, maybe just the first 10? :confused:

Then he should start watching the first OVA .. and when he finished the series, or knows what is going to heppen in the end, maybe he should watch the seisohen OVA [the 2nd OVA] ..

I am still in the #80s episodes, but I watched the 2nd OVA yesterday.. it was ok :)

12. RuRoKeN

RuRoKeN New Member

hi all.....well i have question for "ZANZA"
    i wanna ask u about the ending of seisouhen or as u call him the 2nd ova,what do u think about this ending,cz personnaly,i have pain i my heart everytime i watch it,well can u reply pls and a private message would be better,cz a lot of people here haven't watched seisouhen yet and i don't wanna ruin it for them by saying what hapenes,well thanks anyway :)

13. Thin Yume

Thin Yume New Member

the ova's looked better but not only that when he fell in love and the girl died i cried.

14. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

well its whether you want to see lots of blood or see Kenshin saying Oro O.O all the time

15. Battousai

Battousai New Member

I don't know. I don't like the OVAs that much.(Too much Drawing Difference)

Better start with the Series but jump into the movie "Samurai-X"
    Whenever possable, its really good.

16. Hitokiri_Gensai

i liked the Tsukio Hen ova but not the Seishou hen much because of the art difference...the movie was fairly good although i found quite a few mistakes...such as when Shigure draws his sword in the beginning when hes with Kenshin on those stone steps it makes it look like he has a sakabatou because when you show a sword without fully drawing it you draw it edge up so that its and easier draw rather than edge down...

17. Battousai

Battousai New Member

I just re-watched it. I totally agree.

Shigure draws his sword in the beginning when hes with Kenshin on those stone steps it makes it look like he has a sakabatou because when you show a sword without fully drawing it you draw it edge up so that its and easier draw rather than edge down...

18. Hitokiri_Gensai

agree on what?

19. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk New Member

I never saw all of the TV series. I liked it as a lighthearted series. But the OVA's had so much more depth and there weren't any filler episodes. I have to say I enjoyed the OVA's alot more.

20. Hitokiri_Gensai

the TV series was almost too much "light stuff" tho...as much as it did make the series good and one of the few samurai humor anime...another being Samurai Deeper Kyo. i think there was too much. it almost seemed as if they were steering away from seriousness altogether. anyway its still my favorite anime, but i liked the OVA a bit better...perhaps it was the swordsmenship was more real? as far as the RK TV series most of the moves are physically impossible. however the OVA most if not all the swordsmenship in it was as real as possible. i mean in episode 44 Kenshin jumps something like...60 feet in the air and quite frankly i think no matter how hard you try i think the best one might be able to jump is 6 maybe 7 feet. also for the most part the Hiten Mitsurugi School of Kenjutsu focuses on the speed of battou-jutsu and being able to read ones moves. which is something that quite a few schools are based on. but such moves as the Kuzu Ryuu Sen and the Ryuu Sou Sen which are well basicly impossible...the Ryuu Sou Sen perhaps is possible with enough practice but the Kuzu Ryuu Sen is physically impossible. there is no way to hit the nine vital points of the body all at once. Now in the OVA he doesnt use any "waza" or anything he just uses the common moves associated with defense and offense...to be perfectly honest...there is nothing that really seperates him from other swordsmen of the time...perhaps he has better intuition or speed but other than that there are no "waza" to seperate his school from those of another. usually your first stance will tell of your school. Yagyu Shinkage Ryuu's opening stance is the katana held in the sword hand pointed at the ground to the side. Jigen Ryuu was supposedly the sword held in both hands off to the side of the head with the tip pointed at heaven. Nitou Ryuu is supposedly the wakizashi held forward pointed toward the opponent in the left hand while the katana is held off to the side of the head with the tip facing the sky.