Two New DVD Releases on September 28 (get ready Dirk)

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Mark, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

2. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

No Movie yet? My, are you behind the times!

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Come again?

4. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Oh hell yeah!!!! More G-Force episodes! It might not be the whole series, but im happy that Rhino has acknoledged G-Force apart from previously being a mere extra on the early BOTP DVDs! This has made my day! Wonder why they arent using the G-Force logo from the show or the U.K DVD's because this one is pretty bad but its just a minor nitpick. I heard from a reliable Gatcha site that Rhino would be releasing seperate BOTP & G-Force sets so hopefully this will just be the beginning for G-Force (even though it doesnt seem so), as Gatchaman I is being dubbed as we speak by ADV and will release in the future and BOTP will probably continue with its releases. Gatchaman II and Fighter will also be released on DVD in Japan, so hopefully ADV will pick them up too.

Sad to hear that BOTP will be taken off Boomerang, but it was obvious that Boomerang was neglecting the show,not just in terms of scheduling (which was kinda understandable given the lack of eps) but also in terms of advertising. Funny how now all 3 incarnations of Gatchaman I will be under one roof. Thing is i dont get The Anime Network here in NYC :( Damn Time Warner Cable :mad: Things are definitely looking up for Gatchaman in the future.Thanks for the good news Mark! And Melek Taos, what is this "movie" that you speak of? (which you also subtly mentioned in my G-Force topic IIRC)

5. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Are these completely different G-Force episodes than the ones on the Battle of the Planets DVDs? I would think and hope so. That would make a total of 13 available, I believe.

I can understand your feelings about the logo. There are actually two logos for Battle of the Planets. There is the correct one, which is used during the episodes, the board game, the lunch box, the soundtrack, and American DVDs. Then there is the slightly-altered one that is used on the old and new comic books, action figures, and UK DVDs. The most notable difference in the "P" in "Planets." It drives me nuts!

6. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

The Movie is on the last disc of Universal Playbacks complete seres of BOTP. It is very good (though not as good as the Gatch movie) and features more rough stuff, the Cuban brothers remix and a sensibly upgraded Zark...

....May G Force be with you....

7. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Apparently the G-Force episodes on this compilation are a mix of 7 episodes that Rhino considers "the best" and not the first 6 eps of G-Force on the BOTP DVD's. I wouldnt know what these newly released eps are about since i dont remember any of them anymore (or pretty much the whole series) except for the last 2 eps which are a 2-parter about the death of Red Impulse/Colonel Cronos depending on which series you saw.What im baffled about is how an old series like Gatchaman is going to be airing on The Anime Network amongst all the recent (as in 90s-present) stuff thats on the channel already.

This also seems to be TAN's first venture outside its own peoperties as G-Force (which from i read is owned by Hearst Entertainment, not Turner or Sandy Frank, yet is being released by Rhino in part of Sandy Frank. So confused :dizzy2: and BOTP (Sandy Frank) are also airing on TAN. I hope they'll be there for a long while because it seems like the only outlet possible for these series to air now, and probably the only way period to possibly see G-Force in its entiery,save for the bootleg stuff out there which i will not buy.

8. Svengali

Svengali New Member

I will definitely be getting that anniversary one! I'll probably be picking up the G-Force one also, even though I've never watched an episode of that particular "version" series.

9. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Only one more day, Dirk! How are you doing? ;)

10. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Heheh, im doing fine except for one minor detail: NO DVD PLAYER. As strange as it may sound: i have not owned any type of home video player ever since the mid-to-late 90's! (and that was an ancient VCR passed down to me by my brother!) I dunno, i just havent been inclined to buy another VCR or a DVD player since i can catch movies and whatnot on DTV and my newly-acquired DVR box works wonders (my first experiment was last week's ep of BOTP. So nice i didnt have to wake up at 9AM or be at the TV on the other timeslots to watch it! I couldnt record it perfectly though, since Boomerang doesnt start the show exactly at 9:00. Then again, what channel does :confused:

But seeing a lot of stuff i like coming out on DVD and on those fancy packages has steadily made me wanna buy a DVD player. And discovering that G-Force eps are out on DVD (specifically tomorrow's release) ALMOST made me go out and buy a cheap DVD player. But im in the midst of rearranging my whole multimedia setup (TV,stereo,PC) into something really sweet which will take a LONG while and quite a bit of $$$ and thinking. Plus, im going through some big changes in life itself (senior year, HS diploma, college plans etc) and am trying to be more self-dependent. In short words, im a terribly busy teenager and am holding out on buying a DVD player & that G-Force DVD for the time being even though i could do so as i speak. I do know that when the time comes and im "settled down" and watching G-Force on my new setup,whenever it may be, its gonna be awesome. Maybe the time will come earlier when and if i get TAN :p Pretty interesting story for a 17-year old going to 18 in a couple months eh? :cool: If someone here manages to get that G-Force DVD, post up a review if you dont mind! ;)

Mark, i assume you wont be getting tomorrow's BOTP boxset since a couple posts down you said you bought the whole series in one shot? Question about those U.K DVD's: was the video & audio transfer touched up/remastered like in Rhino's US BOTP releases? I couldnt imagine in what condition they would be if they werent already (no offense,but the sub-standard video and to a lesser extent audio quality of the BOTP footage is something we can all agree on)

11. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Ode to Dirk

Dirk, I must say I was shocked to learn you are 17 years old. You present yourself as a much older individual, and I mean that as a compliment. Age is just a number, but you seem much more mature for the average high school senior. (On the Walt Disney World board I moderate, we have a smile giving a thumbs up. I would insert that here.) Any guess to my age?

The transfers on the UK boxed set were just like the first 24 that have been released in the US. I'm curious to see if today's release is any different. I would think not. From the condition I remember these being on TV in back in 1985, which was almost unwatchable, these clean-ups are remarkable. The one thing that gets my attention about today's release is something about the internet game. I don't know what that could be on a DVD, but I'm going to be hunting around for reviews on that one. The cool thing about the UK set is the movie, but as I mentioed before, I cannot stand Zark's new voice. He sounds like an old woman who has been smoking all her life.

I'm almost inclined to buy the GoS DVD just to give you a review, Dirk. Do I owe it to the board that I moderate? :eek:

12. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

<sniggers> I have been 18 for years and years now!

And people think Im it too!!

(PS, Im younger than Mark...)

13. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Thanks Mark, that really meant a lot to me. Its tough being & acting the way i am, civilized and open-minded & whatnot considering most people my age and around my area are the exact opposite of that so im a minority in that sense. Nice gesture, but dont be inclined to buy that GoS DVD if you dont want to. If you do however buy it for your own personal reasons (such as to compare and contrast with the equivalent BOTP eps) or leisure than i would really appreciate a review! ;) If i do get TAN however i dont think ill be needing the DVDs unless they are releasing boxsets (even then its kinda iffy as to whether ill buy a series i barely remember) after hearing the news that (supposedly) the entire series will be aired on TAN. If i like it, then ill probably record it to my DVR and find a way to get it on my PC so i can make my own DVD's of it! Right now its the only way for me to score the series for my own personal leisure (i refuse to acknowledge the countless bootlegs out there. Id rather make them myself. Maybe this stems from the fact that ive NEVER bought anything online before).

About your age, since you said on my first topic which i browsed again that you were 7 for BOTP & 14 for G-Force (and pardon my mediocre math) i think its a good estimate that youre in your early-to-mid 30's, 33 perhaps? Then you'd be 5 years older than my older (and only) brother (dont take it personally though, as IMO youre NEVER too old to watch cartoons and i couldnt give a damn what people say). I wonder if he's seen BOTP before or had memories of it, but being 28 PLUS a U.S Marine i think that would be (if it even exists) the last thing on his mind. About moderating, i think you should give it a shot! But i know of previous regular users in other boards who have been given moderation rights and have gone on power trips. Hope that wont be the case here!