Recreation ur rate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Project191, Oct 16, 2001.

1. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I must concede your point this time. Don't let it get to your head, though. Consoles will always be better for gaming because it's what they're built for. PC gaming, however, will always have its place in the world because as long as PC's are necessary for business, the desire to enjoy them will be there also.

------------------
    KICKSTART MY HEART!

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Don't worry, nothing can go to my head. I have the greatest inferiority complex [​IMG]
    --------------
    compare Obi Wan and Jedi Knight 2

3. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Here comes the engineer again...

Spreadsheets? Graphs? Databases? Everything right there can be done by some second rate home PC...
    I'll put my rant aside to speak on the topic though...
    PC gaming wins in my book, I have yet to see any first person shooter executed well on a console, I'm sorry if you disagree, but I'd like to see you aim precisely and quickly with your gamepad. Oh wait! you could still play Wolfenstein 3D or Doom just as well! But honestly, what do you play on a console for which the slightly better performance makes such a difference? Racing games? Fighters? Shoot 'em ups? A friend of mine informed me that it has to be Fighters... (i.e. Super Smash Bros.) I want to hear your opinion though.
    BTW, I'm actually a vintage gamer a lot of the time, I play Half-Life (with it's mods, like Counter-Strike), Deus Ex (sure, that's not so old), Quake 2, and then the true vintage gaming, like FF2 and 3, Chrono Trigger (emulated, I just can't have my old super nintendo out here, which I had because my parents bought it, I couldn't afford anything at the time)

-UK
    --------------
    Without guys like me, you wouldn't even have a console to play on.

4. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

If you want my opinion, every genre is better on consoles, with the exception of strategy. I have yet to see one of those done right on anything but a PC.
    RPG's are just better on consoles, and the better titles hit them too. For example, all of Squaresoft's games. PC's are an afterthought, it seems.
    Action games of all varieties will always be better on consoles, at least from the standpoint of someone like me with shaky wrists (can't steer that mouse too well when you can't keep your hand still [​IMG]) and super-agile thumbs. As for the FPS thing, I will refer you to two little numbers by the names of "Goldeneye 007" and "Perfect Dark", both for the N64. Those are just great games. Don't even try to argue it. Action games of the non-shooter variety are usually crap when put on a PC. What do you get there? A few ports of console games, and that's about it. What do consoles have? Let's start with the old-school. We've got the old Super Mario Brothers games, the Sonic The Hedgehog series, Castlevania and Contra, to name a few. As for the more modern sorts, there's The Bouncer, Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, among others.
    Don't even get me started on the sports games either. It's the worst of the genres, but consoles do it best, especially the Dreamcast ( [​IMG]).
    I'll try to keep the rest brief.
    Any good racing game on PC has also been good on console, and consoles get ones that PC's never even see. Fighting games on PC's all suck; name one that doesn't.
    That's about it for this part of my ramblings.

As for "Jedi Knight 2" and "Obi-Wan", Obi-Wan is Jedi Knight 2. If you meant the first Jedi Knight, which traces the exploits of Kyle Katarn, and gives you the choice Light or Darkness, then you should have said "Dark Forces 2" or just "Jedi Knight".
    Sorry for all this, but as a devout Star Wars fanatic, I had to post that.

I'm going to try to play the peacemaker here, and just ask why we're arguing. Just get a PC and a console, and proclaim yourself diverse.

Well, this is (finally) the end of this message.

------------------
    KICKSTART MY HEART!

5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Why am I suddenly reminded of the days when I played flight simulators with a mouse!! I was throwing that thing around the desk so much that one time it smashed into a wall [​IMG]
    (then I got a sidewinder joystick)

This is an age old argument, we probably can't change eachothers ideals. My thoughts on the subject are that all the consoles and computers have their good and bad points, (such as all the errors in Windows 98), and stuff like jaggies in some games. But who cares!! If a game is fun to play, then it doesn't matter what system it's on.

6. MamiyaOtaru

About Obi Wan=Jedi Knight 2: WRONG. As an avid Star Wars gamer I just had to post that. Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (also knows as Dark Forces 3) is most definately not the crappy looking Obi Wan coming out on the console. Compare those screenshots.. Obi Wan pales there. It really does. Here is a little page of mine comparing a few of the shots.

All those games you mentioned for the console (Mario, Contra etc) have no plot so to speak of, simplistic controls, and no choices to make. Good games, but they lack the depth PC games provide.

Racing games.. There were never any Papyrus games on the consoles as far as I know (they made some kick A NASCAR games, and the awesome Grand Prix Legends) Fine, so we don't get Gran Turismo, but we get simulations of racing. Games where you can go through a season, tune your car down to the really fine details. Games that need a Hard Disk to store your progress and all the little changes you've made. Games that let you paint your own car, and I don't mean pick a color.

Goldeneye was fun, for mindless shooting other players. The single player was OK, but does not even compare to Deus Ex, Half Life or Red Faction (which are on the console, as I already mentioned, but in crappier format) Perfect Dark is OK. So there is one example of the fps that is good. One example does not a conclusive argument make.

RPGs. FF are good. Everquest is better. Games that let you into a persistant world shaped by the players have much more to offer than going from quest to quest thought up by the designers at Square. I mean all you do is fight. Games like Everquest and the upcoming Star Wars Galaxies let you do whatever you like, tailor, banker whatever. Actual different ROLES. Not just the one role of fighter, with little subroles of mage, sword user or whatever. Man, just look at Galaxies.. those graphics.. the fact that you can own buildings, make towns, fly an X-Wing, interact with thousands of rreal people.. *drool*
    I hate fighting games. No depth there. It's all about the console/PC mentality. PC games posess a depth console games never will. (no, I don't count memorizing combos and when to use them as depth) If you're into the non stop action and lack of plot and atmosphere, consoles are the way to go.

I don't wanna be diverse, I wanna play good games that suck me in and immerse me. Side view fighting games in 500/300 resolution, rcing games where you flip over and magically right yourself after a few penalty seconds, RPGs with countless battles of picking from a wide range of attacks (only battles though), FPSs where you can't aim, and storyless adventure games don't do it for me.

To top it all off, the fact that consoles can be emulated on PCs.. if you really wanted those console games, you could play em on a PC. True, some newer consoles don't have emulators out yet, but they will. And don't think that by saying (well they're not here yet) will invalidate all my other arguments, but go ahead, point it out.

[This message has been edited by MamiyaOtaru (edited 10-30-2001).]

7. That guy!

(I don't even feel like arguing against this..but Final Fantasy should not be trampled on)

I've played quite a few online rpg's, such as Ultima and Diablo. The plots are not nearly as good as any FF game. Sure you get to talk amongst other people(who treat you like sh*t because you're a 'newbie')

newbie = a person that's below lvl 80!!

Online rpg's just to seem to go on and on and on, I never seem fulfilled by them. And all you seem to do in them is 'fight and fight and fight' (more than a console rpg).

*cough* I've gotta admit though, most of the console Star Wars games were crappy... minus Jedi Power Battles and a few others *cough*

LOOK AT ROGUE SQUADRON!!! AND IT'S CRAPPY PORT TO PC!!!

-----------
    LOVE AND FREAKIN' PEACE!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by That guy! (edited 10-30-2001).]

8. MamiyaOtaru

Love and peace indeed. Pardon my shortness. I know about Jedi Knight [​IMG] so I went off a bit when my knowledge there was questioned and belittled. GnZcc61: i understand why you said that, 'cause Jedi Knight 2 was supposed to be Obi Wan, until Obi Wan got moved to X-Box and someone decided to resurrect Katarn from the bargain bin of PC gaming. I just happened to have more recent knowledge of it all then you, sorry I went off.

Point taken on RPGs and story. (though I deliberately omitted Diablo) Square = better story, at the cost of freedom of movement. Online (Galaxies for example) = more choice, more roles to play, and Galaxies has suweeeet graphics. FF certainly is good though, I'm not knockin it. And MMORPG isn't for everyone, me included actually, I don't really do the RPG thing, console or PC, so I am not really qualified to argue RPGs. Last thought there, you can play FF on a console, but no MMORPGs on a console [​IMG]

Rogue Squadron, my point exactly. It doesn't even compare to X Wing Alliance, or any game in the X Wing series. X Wing needed a keyboard to control all the little systems of the starfighter (a rather comlicated piece of machinery) and would just not be possible on a console.

Still, I'm all for PCs. Good console games (like FF) appear, later of course, on PCs, but with better graphics. Good PC games appear, later of course, on consoles with worse graphics (see Red Faction, and Deus Ex) Comparable games, like Rogue Squadron/X Wing Alliance lean heavily toward the PC for gameplay, and on JK/Obi Wan, Jedi Knight has beter looking graphics, but who can tell so far on gamepley.

Sports Games: All of EAs titles (usually the best in any given sport) appear on the PC as well.

Racing games: stuff like EAs F1 2001 are on the PC as well, in higher res. http://www.f1gamers.com/f1/games/viewscreenshot.php?game=sos1937&platform=pc&image=8 A cool screenie from a game of classic 30s racing, a game that came out two years ago.

Real Time Strategy (like StarCraft), on a console? not likely.

Building games ala SimCity, the Sims, Railroad Tycoon: on a console? not likely.

Large scale epic strategy ala Civilizations (one of the best ever) or the Settlers: on a console? not likely.

God Games, such as Black and White, Populous 3: on a console, not likely.

And of course, Consoles have no mods.

Consoles have great games, and cost much less, but I still don't have one. Opinions, everyone's got one, and is entitled to it. Mine is: PCs rock for gaming. If anyone disagrees, they are probably right -as far as they are concerned- which is all that matters. If they prefer consoles, great. For them consoles are better, like for me PCs are better, so it is impossible to say which is better bar none, becuase of that wonderful thing called opinion (not that that stops me from arguing the merits of the PC [​IMG] ).

9. That guy!

You can play console games online, although you have to get a modem for the console. I thnk that Final Fantasy 11 is going to be an online RPG. And doesn't Dreamcast have one already?

Well anyways Computers are great, so are consoles. When you come down to it, they're both made out of atoms, and both are made out of circuitry. That's just the simple logic behind it... although when it comes down to it computers are more customizable(except for my crappy old compaq that I couldn't upgrade....I tried, but it fried). But my experience with my old compaq changed my view of computers for gaming... when my bro got a Playstation I loved it because I could actually play a game without it freezing, or going at 1 frame per minute [​IMG] .

Well, back to OAC computers (VB and programming is a light side of computers, Illegal operations are the dark side) [​IMG]

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Following this topic on its lengthy argument, I've kind of sat on the sideline not wanting to be involved in a heated argument...However, how long could I sit by without throwing out my own two cents? (Yup, didn't you know each topic costs two cents to run? [​IMG])

Anyhow, this age old argument may never end, because no console/computer is equal (in FACT, there are even disputes within those categories [Macs vs. IBMs for example...]). I am open to both, in fact not too many in this age of technology are without a home PC, and well, consoles, just seem to lounge about as well...I guess what I mean to say is: for gaming, it really all depends on cases, rather than catch-all categories... Surely, the only true comparison comes in when a game sees an identical release on both platforms, and even then I find there are pros and cons to both versions)...

In summary, these are the Advantages as I currently see it to both:

CONSOLE
    -The system is very portable (pick it up and go - well, sure laptops can too, but they usually don't work well for gaming...)
    -Cost (Even with the bigger end PS2s and whatnot, you're not shelling out quadruple-digit figures to own a good system)
    -Cartridge Consoles (Kinda moldy, but these sytems had no loading time...a definite bonus!)
    -Control (I still feel that PC controllers aren't quite up to console standards - but soon, very soon...)
    -Standardization (No need to pore over that game box to see if your Xbox'll run it... the games are developed for one definite system - so you know you can run it!)
    -No Viruses/Hackers (Well, I'm pretty sure [​IMG])

DESKTOP
    -Updradability (Want a crisper picture, slide in a new video card... more storage? no prob - a bigger hard drive...)
    -Versatility (More use than games - the mentioned Spreadsheets, Word Processors, heck, I'm sure almost all of us watch anime media!)
    -Emulation (And if it *is* only on console, it really doesn't have to be...)
    -Networking (Multiplay without having to go splitscreen... Hey, the Internet as well!)
    -Portable Software (Not everyone needs the same model computer with identical hardware to run programs...)
    -Hard Drive (most consoles use battery back up [which eventually dies] or Save cards [which can fill up pretty fast]... old reliable hard disks...)

And to rebut the "depth" issue, I really can't see its relevance... That's the software developers choice, not the system (and maybe even the gaming public)... There have been so very deep console games...as well as plotless PC ones...

Personally, sometimes I throw depth aside... sometimes I'd rather just skip a story and just get to the part where I mindlessly pound the **** out of something... nothing wrong with that...

It's just a matter of personal preference.

BakaMattSu, runs away before the flaming begins...

11. That guy!

Punding the **** out of something. That's something I love to do... It's the reason why I'm like lvl 100 in Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana and I romp around the game time and time again with New Game Plus.

It can be even more fun though when it's people you're beating up. I love slashin' people with sabers in MOTS when the day has treated me like crap.

12. TamaKameKami

TamaKameKami Lord Tama

What the heck PC IS THE BEST!!!! all the way
    consoles are great and all but wouldn;t you rather spent you money on a nice PC then a console......and like other people said CONSOLES CANNOT post on Mangatoanime!!!!!!

------------------
    -Tama, Kame no Kami
    "Tama, the Turtle God"

13. That guy!

They probably could if you gave them a hard drive and added a few things. Just because we haven't seen them do these things doesn't mean that they aren't capable of them.

14. TamaKameKami

TamaKameKami Lord Tama

ok ok i think it came out that i love pcs alot the only reason i like pcs cause it can do more then a console but i will have to agree with zanshi that consoles have better gaming but yet i still like the muilti on pcs

i shouldn't be argueing really i don't really need to i like both.......so im going to shud up now

------------------
    -Tama, Kame no Kami
    "Tama, the Turtle God"

[This message has been edited by TamaKameKami (edited 11-01-2001).]

15. MamiyaOtaru

better control on a console? EEEP!! For some things I guess, but not FPS. Not flight sims. Nothing beats my thrustmaster joystick for flying.

About depth, it is true, it depends on the people who make the games. It just seems that there is more depth on the PC somehow, like PC developers on average put more depth in. It also has to do with the control options, 10 buttons on a gamepad, or a keyboard and or joystick? As well as the amount of stuff that can be saved on a hard disk.

You mean I can't force everyone toa ccept my point of view? ah well.

16. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Sorry to seem like a dumbass over here, but I'm thinking this argument has gone on too far, so I'm going to drop out of it.
    Let GNZ just say this: Online RPG's suck because you have to first off pay for the game, then you have to pay to play it. And as for racing games in which you can tune your car, etc., you obviously haven't played GT3. That's it exactly. Even the Top Gear games on N64 have that. Where the hell have you been?
    Godammit! I've gone off again. I apologize for that. I'm going to shut up now, aight?

------------------
    KICKSTART MY HEART!

17. MamiyaOtaru

Where have I been? not playing cojnsole games [​IMG] Guess what, I don't know everything and don't pretend to. RPGs suck period, and I don't really play racing games anyway. I'll call those two genres a loss hehe.

GT rules, you win [​IMG]

18. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

in ps2 there gt3 a-spec right in my mag they say they will do gt3 b-spec

19. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Would that be a new game, or just a variation, like all those Pokémon games, or like Dragonwarrior Monsters 2 or those Zelda games on GBC?

------------------
    KICKSTART MY HEART!

20. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

no it's gt there are gt3 a spec right and they made gt3 b-spec don't u got it there gt1 gt2 gt3a-spec and then they made gt3 b-spec