Computers UTorrent - my new torrent program of choice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nephilim_X, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

http://www.utorrent.com/

Why this instead of Azureus you ask?

Simply put, it has all the features and none of the bloat. Right now I have a 10 gig torrent up, and utorrent is taking three megs of memory. Speeds are about the same though some report better speeds. You can set it to pre-allocate or not. In fact it seems to have pretty much every worthwhile aspect of Azureus.

This is my new torrent program of choice.

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Do tell, how would it compare to other clients than Azureus, such as BitTornado, which I use? Granted, Tornado opens a separate instance for each torrent, which is a tad annoying.

However, each of the two torrents I have running right now (~2 gigs and ~2.4 gigs each) take up less than three megs of memory each, I can choose a download order within the torrent. The window minimizes to a button in the system tray, instead of taking up space in the taskbar, and mouseover provides the necessary details of the torrent.

Granted my version is a tad outdated now, but I've had no problems with BitTornado. It's simple and easy to use, and advanced enough to handle more complicated processes. I personally have seen download speed range from 11-112kbps, although it's not much of an issue to me. (and of course the seeding makes a difference)

How would it compare to my BitTornado, and why would I want to switch to it? I wouldn't mind switching out for a better program, but how much better is it, if at all?

(You'll have to forgive me for my Tornado wh0ring :p)

3. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

The fact is, BitTornado takes up 3 megs memory / torrent, while Utorrent only takes up 3 megs in a total. I think that uTorrent is a Java application, and for a Java application to "only" take 3 megs of the CPU memory, is impressive.

It comes to down to the end of what your personal view is. I prefer BitComet even though there people complaning about.

- Teddz

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

TorrentStorm for me. The only downside is that it's OLD. It takes up 12MB of RAM, but....in a 1.25 GB machine, I don't care TOO much.

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

uTorrent is NOT a java program. It was programmed in C++ I believe.

As far as comparison to other programs go... it's basically Azureus without the bloat. Every feature you want is right there.

6. Shinigami-Sama

Shinigami-Sama New Member

'ryu
    I switched from tornado to lord to utorrent
    utorrent is fast, smaller and easier to use
    though sometimes it's banned on a tracker because they haven't updated their ban lists, 'ayu' is one of them -__- but I never get anything from them anyways

and utorrent is cpp I beleave

you can set priorities
    seeding levels
    sheduleing
    lazybit field (isp throtle killer)
    ip ban lists
    theres even a search feature, though I an't figured out how to use it yet, to lazy

you can also set global and local speeds, max upload, download, you can even set seeding speed, so once it finishes dling you can have it sit there and seed at 3k/s if you want
    it's under 150k (108k currently) and doesn't need to be installed, totaly standalone program
    it can handle uft torrents
    multitracker
    torrent creation
    port settings
    random ports

basicly stuff tornado and azureus together and minus the overhead and dependacies, like the JRE crap thats 54megs

7. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

OK! I gave this U torrent a testdrive and I have to say that I'm really dissapointed. The interface and getting around isn't too hard, but unlike Azureus it chews up ALOT of bandwidth for slower downloads. Azzy was going faster for me and I was still able to browse the web with minimal impact. I had over 8 gigs of data on deck with both U and Azzy, and while U did take up less mem, it was much slower and browsing around felt like I was using a 14.4k modem. Even after I set thier priorities to low thier speeds reduced to almost nothing while still causing a noticeable impact on my web browsing. For the same files Azzy had a combined speed of over 100k with little noticeable impact on webbing.

Both of these had the same files in the queue and were both simultaneously downloading 3 torrents at a time. In each case they were the same three torrents.

U seems good if you want to download at night only and take forever doing it. You can play your Quake without a problem, but you wont be getting that anime anytime soon. I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to arrange the bandwith so that I could at least FUNCTION online. Ironically thier help page is off of thier website so I had to close down U just to view thier help files. Shortly after that I said to hell with it and switched back over.

Azzy can run around the clock at high speeds and you wont notice it. You'll see a performance drop in your gaming, but if that's really a problem then you can simply close Azzy, game, and resume when you finish. Unless you're playing around with Ram heavy programming Azzy seems to perform better.

And that's my opinion. I'll stay with Azureus until something comes out that has the same ease and functionality of Azzy with the file size as U.

~W

8. Shinigami-Sama

never had that problem after I ajusted my settings under that advanced options settings section

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

UTorrent = crap
    bitcomet = jesus christ of bitorrent apps

10. Shinigami-Sama

you mean that client that is banned on many trackers and is the king of leeching?
    yeah I can use it one a few trackers that I shouldn't mention here, but it seems people lack the will power to actualy play with options to get the best settings for them

11. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Bitcomet is the program that disallows people to download what you're downloading from you.

12. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Say that again? I thought that's what the whole idea behind torrents was all about. Is this Bitcomet really banned by several trackers?

~W

13. Shinigami-Sama

go take a look, theres 4 trackers I can think of that have baned it
    and a bunch my friends use have it banned also, and I think he meant
    "Bitcomet is the program that disallows people to download what you're downloading from you."

cause I know it's a notorious leeching client, people turning seeding off, they shouldn't have that option in the first place

14. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

From the webpage:
    Personally i think it's a waste of time to invest in closed-source software. Who knows if it got spyware hidden around? Besides, if the authors die, the source dies with them, and the project will die, too.

This is why I prefer using open source stuff. It's safe (unless it got some weird unknown vulnerability), you can access the code and see what it got, and you can make your own modifications of it.

In my case, i use ABC client. It's based on tornado, but I like it better. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingpong-abc/