Anime [Vireyda's Woolgathering] Anime: Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase ~ 1

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Bijin, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Bijin

Bijin boards.jp Bot

Fansubber: MahouOP: Neko Mimi Mode by Dimitri From ParisWow. Very very... energetic :x The OP had me fall out of bed almost. It's the most inane opening song I think I've had the pleasure to ever hear. It's nothing but Hazuki chanting "Neko Mimi Mode" and some really 'kawaii' scenes of complete fanservice cuteness. I mean.. please. Nya!? Argh. I'm ashamed to admit though. It's rather tropical thrumming beat and stupid repetitious chants had me playing the OP sequence repeatedly for a while. Once out of shock and then again and again because I'd get that neko mimi phrase stuck in my head. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhh.. It gave the Count of Monte Cristo's horrible OP (Stranger) a run for its money but in the end, the sheer cuteness of Neko Mimi saves it from a horrible fate of that particular horrible OP-ness.ED: Kanashii Yokan/Presentiment Triste by Marianne Amplifier feat. Yuka (French)A rather sadly forgettable french song sung in a breathy sexy manner almost reminiscent of the ED to Noir. The vocalist to my ears however falls short of that soft breathiness required to sound innocent and it seems to fall on ears as a vain attempt straining to sound sexy. Although the French is an interesting change and it was kinda cool in a way realizing how much of my highschool/college French I remember, I'm skipping this song every time I watch this series. Bleh.One of my favorite bloggers, Matthew is following this series and writing some nice summaries etc so I'll skip all that. The opening animation and music was incredibly moody, invoking a really nice dark start to a vampiric tale. I was getting really excited until.... It happened. Yes, the OP. It struck in its blinding cuteness and quickly devested me of that dark, serious, gothic quality. However, the show as it continues, while possessing absolutely adorable moments of moe & kawaii-ness (I mean come on. Hazuki is so damn cute even with those ridculous cat ears), doesn't seem to be as spastic as the OP hinted. Whew!! The show actually proceeds rather nicely combining darker 'magic/vampire' atomosphere with some moments of levity usually involving Hazuki's dark child cuteness. The music is a big help here (note especially the beautiful vocalizing while Kouhei is taking pictures of Hazuki). I'm a big fan of stories with occult themes (magic, vampires, etc) and so far this show seems to have great chunks of these :) Seiji *happy sigh* supplies the requisite male beauty to the show, whereas Hazuki is our wonderfully adorable sugar injection in this particular vampire tale. Whee! Can't wait to see more from Mahou! :)On a fansub note, I haven't really much to say about this sub of it. It seemed to be well done at a quick glance. Font looks nice. Timing was good (I didn't really pay attention to it which is a good sign; I only recognize bad timing as the subtitling becomes painfully noticable). The OP karaoke was very nice although there wasn't much to the song for them to do ;p The ED had a painfully hard to read font however; it matches nicely in one sense with the exotic French etc, however, it was very hard to read on a monitor even full-screened especially considering the colors of the background and the font utilized.

Click here to read this story
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/vireyda/36167.html