Anime [Vireyda's Woolgathering] Pondering DVDs

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Bijin, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Bijin

Bijin boards.jp Bot

I'm pondering a DVD purchase atm and I'm not sure what way I want to swing with it. Currently I'm collecting DVDs for Getbackers, Last Exile (1 vol left finally!), Tsukihime (yay, I can get rid of my fansub CDs), Twelve Kingdoms, and Ikkitousen (well..I'm considering dropping this one). I've been debating buying the box set for Kaleido Star. I really liked this series but I keep wondering as I'm looking at my burned CDs of all the KS fansubs if I should buy it. I usually use rewatchability as a big backbone for buying decisions and then sheer love of a series. FMA is like that. I can't rewatch them easily (I have to see them in huge chunks cuz I can't stop) but the series is incredible. I love watching it. Twelve Kingdoms has this beautiful aura to it that makes me watch to see more; Getbackers was the same for me. I can't decide if I want to buy KS though as much as I absolutely loved Season 1. I've sadly been slacking on watching the subs of Season 2. I've downloaded up to 41 but I just haven't watched past 36 yet :x. Kaleido Star is this wonderful series: beautiful animation, shoujo story but shounen-esque (Shhh! I MADE it into a word, so there!) vibes with competition and "improvement," cuteness, humour, drama, and great character designs. There's even some romantic leanings (Go, Ken!!). However, I've found that while I love this series, I've yet to feel that 'urge' to rewatch it. I'll think about parts I enjoy like the Great Act by Layla/Sora, but never enough to pull out that episode and watch like I do with Naruto (I rewatched the Neji/Hinata fight for their cool technique a million times) or Prince of Tennis (Atobe vs. Tezuka) or KKM (any Maou moment) or Hikaru no Go (any match), etc.I feel silly writing all this up while I'm bored and wondering if I should buy it; it would be a rather large purchase though ( [box + 7 DVDs) x 2 seasons] and whenever I start buying a large boxset series, I always finish it regardless of waning interest (Saiyuki anyone? *sigh*). Chalk it up to my innate collective mentality that hates leaving collections "incomplete." So this definitely would be a longterm buying deal if I take the plunge and start collecting it as well.Hmm. Maybe I should hold off :( I'm up to like 12 or so manga series I'm currently collecting atm with no series end for many of them in sight (Damn you Viz and your slow releases of HikaGo!). My poor pocketbook. Oh well. Still undecided!

Click here to read this story
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/vireyda/37125.html