Current Affairs Virginia Tech Shootings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fudge_Monkeys, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

Some people just have a reckless regard for life... what the hell goes through these people's minds when they decide to ruin the lives of random people.

f***ers...

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

possibly hey gun, people, blam blam blam, Gooey stuff yayz!

Honestly This is a messed up scene. I couldn't think of a reason in my mind let alone someeone else's to go and do something as horriable as this, but the world is filled with **** ups of society

4. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

There could be a number of reasons. One that seems to be most common in these tragic events is that the person who did it has had tramatic events happening in their past. These kinda things can have deep and long lasting effects on the person and can alter their state of reality. Abuse and the way that they were brought up, not to mention their socal lives and how other people veiw them, is usually something to do with the results in cases like this. Its to early to say anything at the moment, as the gunman hasn't even been named, but i know there is going to be looking back into his life and their going to try and pin-point what things may have had an effect on his life that could cause him to do something like this.

There are reports that the gunman went on the rampage because he was dumped by his girlfriend. i'm getting a feeling that this may be something that had happened to him before, but the question would still remain as to why he went on an all out rampage?

Another factor is how easy it is to obtain a gun in the state of Virginia. I think that the people that sell these weapons should not only do a check on their criminal background (as if that matters, people with a criminal record are still able to get guns), but they should look into their medical background as well to see if they have any mental issues as well. Even somebody with depression could be a bomb waiting to go off.

I'm really begining to beleive that tighter gun controls are needed in the US, the right to protect one's property is one things, but these kind of events are getting out of hand and to make matters worse perfectly innocent people are getting caught up in the crossfire and familes are suffering as a result.

5. Yossarian

The gunman in the Virginia Tech massacre was a sullen loner who alarmed professors and classmates with his twisted, violence-drenched creative writing and left a rambling note in his dorm room raging against women and rich kids. A chilling picture emerged Tuesday of Cho Seung-Hu

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

6. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

well, accordign to breaking news, he fired off a package of goodies to NBC, possibly between shootings, and a court order (of sorts...it's wierd) had been issued awhile back calling him mentially ill and an possible threat to others.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/18/vtech.shooting/index.html

7. Yossarian

The more they talk about this guy the more I think that he was kind of asking for help in the beginning... he checked himself into a mental hospital and they released him... and then you know he was able to go out and buy guns..that's even more scary. as for "the bag of goodies" I hate the way the news edits everything... just put the stuff on the internet I don't need a news company showing me what they think is appropriate.

8. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

At the risk of derailing this thread (I'm on a roll with derailing threads this week... X.x; ) I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. Most shootings/crimes/ect. occur with individuals who dont even legally OWN the guns that they commit the crimes with. They're guns that people have gotten through illicit means. What that means is that if laws are passed for tighter gun control the law abiding citizens wont have the guns, but those who don't obey the law in the first place (robbing, murdering people, ect) will STILL have those guns (It's not like they're going to obey the gun control laws). You take guns out of the hands of innocent, law abiding citizens and the only ones left with a gun are the bad guys.

Good idea.

Va Tech was a "Gun Free Zone", students weren't allowed to own guns on Campus. Wait, if that was a gun free zone, WHY WAS THERE A MASS SHOOTING THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?! The shooter obviously followed that rule to the letter. It's a golden example of how gun control leaves those who do follow the rules defenseless. Do you know what would have happened if other, good, students had firearms on campus? The crisis could have been averted and the death rate would have tumbled. He wouldn't have made it through the dorms alive.

If guns are the problem then can anyone tell me why there aren't any shootings at places with tons of guns like Gun Shows, NRA rallys and such?

I'm quoting Penn and Teller to finish this one out-

"Criminals are scared of people with guns. Since most peope are good, more people with guns means more good people with guns. The balance of power swings to the good side. A .44 slug in the brain stops rape in an instant, and 'I've got a gun' often stops it before that."

If anyone wants to argue this I'll stand toe to toe in the debates forum.

I still love you, Kain ;)

~W