Movies Watchmen on Trial Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by BakaMattSu, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It's been over 20 years since the movie rights for Watchmen were first awarded back in 1986, and it may be down to the outcome of a court case scheduled for tomorrow to decide its future.

The summary for anyone who hasn't been keeping tabs: 20th Century Fox is claiming they still have hold on the rights to the upcoming movie currently scheduled for this early March.

Just this past December it was ruled that Fox owns a distributive interest in the film, and the historic trial tomorrow (Jan 20) will spell out the fate of the Watchmen, with delay or cancellation not completely out of the realm of the possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Fox_vs._Warner_Bros.

2. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Watchmen...sounds familiar. Probably heard scraps here and there over the years. I think I read the comic book ages ago. I hope the movie is good. Its back for rights? And it could effect wither we get to see the current movie?

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Fox claims they still have the rights for it from a deal they made back in the 90s and is trying to block its release by Warner Bros.

I doubt they'll follow through with that - they'd be looking at a very angry fanbase that's highly anticipating it. I think they just want a slice of the economic pie.

4. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I will murder.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Guess this didn't happen after all. A settlement was reached on the 15th.

On January 15th, 2009, Hollywood Reporter has reported that Fox and WB have reached a settlement. Fox will receive a settlement and a share of box office, but no future ownership: The official statement reads "Warner Bros. and Twentieth Century Fox have resolved their dispute regarding the rights to the upcoming motion picture Watchmen in a confidential settlement. Warner Bros acknowledges that Fox acted in good faith in bringing its claims, which were asserted prior to the start of principal photography. Fox acknowledges that Warner Bros. acted in good faith in defending against those claims Warner Bros. and Fox, like all Watchmen fans, look forward with great anticipation to this film's March 6 release in theatres." According to G4TV the settlement will give Fox 8.5% of the box office receipts and reimbursement for development and legal costs incurred by the studio.

6. Basher

Happy dance

7. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Sounds good to me.

8. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Yay :) my day is complete.

9. Chane

Chane Audience of One

It's still funny how some fans claimed they would boycott the release of the Wolverine movie.

Yeah. Like that'll happen. The Wolverine movie is like every poor sequel to ever series we know and love, including the recent trash of Star Wars movies, latest installments of Rocky and Indiana Jones or even how the Saw movies are getting progressively worse. And by that I mean, no matter what anyone says, we'll see it. We'll see it and we might throw around excuses like "I just want to see how bad it is," but we'll still see it.

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

But...but...

I just want to see how bad it is. Honest.

11. Basher

I am with BMS on this one. ;)

12. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

Personally, I wonder if the Watchmen movie will be any good. I read the comic and it didnt seem like movie material to me. Very dense, lots of dialogue and introspection on the part of the characters. Its so so long they'd have to hack it to pieces to fit it into a movie. I have this feeling it'll basically be a quick breeze through the origins of the different characters and then summing the story up.

All in all, doesn't seem like it'll be that great.

Meh.