Welcome to the Isao Tomita Mailing List! / Digest

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by cloud at eircom.net, Oct 16, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isao Tomita Mailing List - http://listen.to/tomita/

Hi all -

Welcome to the Isao Tomita mailing list!

Here's a digest of what has gone before on the old bulletin board.

John.
    --
    listen.to/tomita

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: First message! New board!

Posted by John Breslin on 04 June, 1999 at 12:01:33:

The first of many I hope...

John.
    --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by John Breslin on 04 June, 1999 at 12:14:54:

* Where can I get "Bermuda Triangle", "Dawn Chorus", "Daphne et Chloe" etc.

These albums are quite hard to get outside Japan, but I'd recommend you try www.musicexpress.com (where I got Bermuda), www.cdbanzai.com,
    or www.mediawars.or.jp/~mundo/collect/file/t-isao.html for those hard-to-get releases.

* Can I contact Tomita-san via e-mail?

No.

* What does the Tarbel message on the "Bermuda Triangle" decode to?

The answer can be found on the Bermuda page under the "Recordings" section.

Subject: I'd be more than happy to discuss on your site.

Posted by Kyoichi Kawaguchi on 04 June, 1999 at 14:29:03:

How do you do?
    My name is Kyoichi Kawaguchi and my favourite artist is
    Isao Tomita.
    I have been Tomita Fan for 33 years since 1966 when I was
    just 4-year-old.
    His latest work"The Tale of GenjiJis FAB ! Did you experience that?
    Also, I love the music of The Enid, Fruupp and Druid.
    Please tell me your great knowledge and collection of TOMITA
    Sounds.
    My best regards to you.

Subject: Re: I'd be more than happy to discuss on your site.

Posted by John Breslin on 04 June, 1999 at 15:19:40:

In Reply to: I'd be more than happy to discuss on your site. posted by Kyoichi Kawaguchi on 04 June, 1999 at 14:29:03:

Konnichi-wa Kyoichi!

Watashi wa John desu :)

: I have been Tomita Fan for 33 years since 1966 when I was
    : just 4-year-old.

Wow! You must be one of Tomita's greatest fans then!

: His latest work"The Tale of GenjiJis FAB ! Did you experience that?
    : Also, I love the music of The Enid, Fruupp and Druid.

Yes I heard the CD release of the Japanese Genji concert - but I have not heard of these other
    artists - are they similar to Tomita? I recently got an album by Ed Starink called Introspections -
    this guy usually does covers of other synth artists but this album contains his own original work
    which I found very good.

: Please tell me your great knowledge and collection of TOMITA

One of the albums I would like to see released on CD is the Sound Creature LP, maybe it
    should be released as part 6 of the 5 part Dolby Surround series!

Ja mata!

John.
    --

Posted by Erwin Stok on 05 June, 1999 at 00:43:31:

In Reply to: Re: I'd be more than happy to discuss on your site. posted by John Breslin on 04 June, 1999 at 15:19:40:

: Konnichi-wa Kyoichi!

: Watashi wa John desu :)

: : I have been Tomita Fan for 33 years since 1966 when I was
    : : just 4-year-old.

: Wow! You must be one of Tomita's greatest fans then!

: : His latest work"The Tale of Genji?Jis FAB ! Did you experience that?
    : : Also, I love the music of The Enid, Fruupp and Druid.

: Yes I heard the CD release of the Japanese Genji concert - but I have not heard of these other
    : artists - are they similar to Tomita? I recently got an album by Ed Starink called Introspections -
    : this guy usually does covers of other synth artists but this album contains his own original work
    : which I found very good.

: : Please tell me your great knowledge and collection of TOMITA

: One of the albums I would like to see released on CD is the Sound Creature LP, maybe it
    : should be released as part 6 of the 5 part Dolby Surround series!

: Ja mata!

: John.
    : --

Nice to mention Ed Starink.
    He is a like me a regular Dutch guy. Some years Ago in the period that i made jingles and commercials i received a huge brochure from "Edje" as whe
    call him over here. I stil got an double album whith music scores he wrote for film and video productions.

Erwin.

Posted by (Sound!) Cloud on 18 June, 1999 at 21:28:05:

In Reply to: Re: I'd be more than happy to discuss on your site. posted by Erwin Stok on 05 June, 1999 at 00:43:31:

So what Ed Starink albums would you recommend then?

J.
    --

Subject: London Concert

Posted by John Breslin on 04 June, 1999 at 15:20:30:

Who is going to the Tomita London concert?

Reply here!

J.
    --

Subject: London Concert Looing for CD

Posted by Erwin Stok on 15 June, 1999 at 22:15:23:

In Reply to: London Concert posted by John Breslin on 04 June, 1999 at 15:20:30:

: Who is going to the Tomita London concert?

: Reply here!

: J.
    Who has Misty Kid of Wind and is willing to make copy for me befor the 22'rd of june?
    I have some CD's and LP's to make a copy from.

Erwin.

Subject: Re: London Concert

Posted by Phil Legg on 06 June, 1999 at 22:25:49:

In Reply to: London Concert posted by John Breslin on 04 June, 1999 at 15:20:30:

You can count on me! I`ll be in the Terrace Level 5(sadly as all the best seats had gone)
    in either N8 or 9.Come and say hello.Incidentally I have 11 Tomita cd`s and the double
    LP'Sound Creature'if it`s of any interest and am keen to purchase more(aren`t we all?)
    if anyone is selling though I shan`t hold my breath......!
    : --Look forward to seeing you there.
    Regards
    Phil

Posted by Ben on 05 June, 1999 at 14:37:31:

Tickets for the concert (now billed as a 'Future Space Fantasy') are selling out. Only the cheap seats are available in more than two's.

>From the website blurb:

Future Space Fantasy (including Holst's The Planets)
    Tomita: The Tale of Genji (European Premiere)
    Mr Tomita and Mr Motokazu Shinoda will perform a piece for two synthesizers that is "loosely based on The Planets".
    The entire evening will be accompanied by images on a huge video wall and will be in surround sound.

The concert is on June 22nd at The Royal Festival Hall. Book online at www.sbc.org.uk.

See you there! You'd be a bunch of bananas to miss it!

Ben

Posted by Erwin Stok (Netherlands) on 05 June, 1999 at 00:24:21:

I am.
    I also bring along a friend whose working for the same office i work for.
    Hope to meet other Tomita fans which are also do appriciate this great homepage.

Posted by Ben Ward on 04 June, 1999 at 18:11:57:

I am!

Subject: Kimba

Posted by Lance Lenehan on 04 June, 1999 at 23:07:55:

I was a great fan of the Kimba animated series when I was a child. I loved the animation and especially the music. It wasn't until later years, having
    since discovered Tomita, that I learned that Tomita also did the music for this series.

The series has been released on Video out here in Australia, but unfortunately the soundtrack has been replaced completely. New theme song, new
    voices, and worst of all, new underscore/soundtrack music.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the original series may be released, or is available anywhere on Video/DVD? Maybe even Tomita's original music.

Regards, Lance.

Subject: Re: Kimba

Posted by ndkent on 27 June, 1999 at 00:38:52:

In Reply to: Kimba posted by Lance Lenehan on 04 June, 1999 at 23:07:55:

: I was a great fan of the Kimba animated series when I was a child. I loved the animation and especially the music. It wasn't until later years,
    having since discovered Tomita, that I learned that Tomita also did the music for this series.

: The series has been released on Video out here in Australia, but unfortunately the soundtrack has been replaced completely. New theme song,
    new voices, and worst of all, new underscore/soundtrack music.

: I am wondering if anyone knows if the original series may be released, or is available anywhere on Video/DVD? Maybe even Tomita's original music.

: Regards, Lance.

its a remake series. they pull one of these once and a while in japan. Its not even the original stuff with new music! Its all redone animation too!

I've not yet run into an all Jungle Taitei/KIMBA (spelling) album. There are many compilations with the original theme.

the Boredoms just did a cover version last year

and then did a 12" remixed by exotica guru and no relation Yann Tomita

Tomita did "Princess Knight" (Princess Saphire) too. another Tezuka series about a gender confused young prince(ss). Was shown in the US long
    ago.

Subject: Re: Kimba music (and movie clip) now available

Posted by TANAKA Tomoyuki on 03 July, 1999 at 03:26:08:

In Reply to: Re: Kimba posted by ndkent on 27 June, 1999 at 00:38:52:

: : I was a great fan of the Kimba animated series when I was a child. I loved the animation and especially the music. It wasn't until later years,
    having since discovered Tomita, that I learned that Tomita also did the music for this series.

hi. i just put up QuickTime clips from "Jungle King"
    (aka Kimba the white lion) in my page.
    http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/tanaka/TD/

yes. it includes Tomita's magnificent theme music.

Subject: Albums

Posted by Lee Graham on 05 June, 1999 at 05:48:33:

Is there a single source in the U.S. where I find/purchase Tomita albums not normally found in the U.S.?
    I have only been able to find less than half of his albums here, music stores are not able to find the
    rest and what I do have are the old LP albums. Thanks

Subject: Re: Albums

Posted by ndkent on 27 June, 1999 at 00:27:23:

In Reply to: Albums posted by Lee Graham on 05 June, 1999 at 05:48:33:

: Is there a single source in the U.S. where I find/purchase Tomita albums not normally found in the U.S.?
    : I have only been able to find less than half of his albums here, music stores are not able to find the
    : rest and what I do have are the old LP albums. Thanks

nope, the big online places that stock Japanese imports can special order them. so can most Japanese bookshops with CDs.

Subject: Re: Albums

Posted by John on 08 June, 1999 at 11:09:27:

In Reply to: Albums posted by Lee Graham on 05 June, 1999 at 05:48:33:

: Is there a single source in the U.S. where I find/purchase Tomita albums not normally found in the U.S.?
    : I have only been able to find less than half of his albums here, music stores are not able to find the
    : rest and what I do have are the old LP albums. Thanks

F.A.Q. :)

Subject: Bermuda Triangle?

Posted by Don Mc on 05 June, 1999 at 06:24:50:

I have in my LP colection and copy of the bermuda triangle, in coral pink!
    Can anyone tell me if this is out on CD and where can I get a copy?
    Thanks for YOUR time! D. M.

Subject: Re: Bermuda Triangle?

Posted by ndkent on 27 June, 1999 at 00:17:17:

In Reply to: Bermuda Triangle? posted by Don Mc on 05 June, 1999 at 06:24:50:

: I have in my LP colection and copy of the bermuda triangle, in coral pink!
    : Can anyone tell me if this is out on CD and where can I get a copy?
    : Thanks for YOUR time! D. M.

I bought mine in Japan. Hard to find but still available.

Subject: Re: Bermuda Triangle?

Posted by John on 08 June, 1999 at 11:07:43:

In Reply to: Bermuda Triangle? posted by Don Mc on 05 June, 1999 at 06:24:50:

: I have in my LP colection and copy of the bermuda triangle, in coral pink!
    : Can anyone tell me if this is out on CD and where can I get a copy?
    : Thanks for YOUR time! D. M.

Coral pink eh? :)

Try the F.A.Q.

Subject: Comprar CD's do Tomita

Posted by Vitor Hugo Magalhães on 17 June, 1999 at 06:49:18:

Gostaria de Saber onde Compras os Seguintes CD's do Tomita:

- Triagulo da Bermudas (Bermuda Triangle)
    - Impressões de Astronauta (Space Walk)

where to buy this CD's in the Internet ?

A Great Hug for You. :)

Subject: Re: Comprar CD's do Tomita

Posted by John on 18 June, 1999 at 21:24:20:

In Reply to: Comprar CD's do Tomita posted by Vitor Hugo Magalhães on 17 June, 1999 at 06:49:18:

: Gostaria de Saber onde Compras os Seguintes CD's do Tomita:

: - Triagulo da Bermudas (Bermuda Triangle)
    : - Impressões de Astronauta (Space Walk)

Hi there - Space Walk is no longer available. Try reading the FAQ for details on
    Bermuda Triangle :)

J.
    --

Subject: Re: Comprar CD's do Tomita

Posted by ndkent on 27 June, 1999 at 00:31:23:

In Reply to: Re: Comprar CD's do Tomita posted by John on 18 June, 1999 at 21:24:20:

: : Gostaria de Saber onde Compras os Seguintes CD's do Tomita:

: : - Triagulo da Bermudas (Bermuda Triangle)
    : : - Impressões de Astronauta (Space Walk)

: Hi there - Space Walk is no longer available. Try reading the FAQ for details on
    : Bermuda Triangle :)

Was Space Walk ever on CD to begin with?

Anyway there is no real new music on it.

Most people forget the couple soundtracks Tomita did with synths. These are far more interesting than the repackagings of old material.

Subject: Genji is on Tuesday...Posted by John on 18 June, 1999 at 21:26:33:

...so do we have any more fans going along to see Tomita perform?

Check out this link for pictures of the Japanese and LA concerts.

http://www.moto-music.co.jp/GENJI/GENJI.html

Subject: Re: Genji is on Tuesday...Posted by John on 21 June, 1999 at 15:08:05:

In Reply to: Genji is on Tuesday... posted by John on 18 June, 1999 at 21:26:33:

: ...so do we have any more fans going along to see Tomita perform?

See you all there tomorrow!!

John.
    --

Subject: Where can I buy Bach Fantasy?Posted by Steven Rix on 19 June, 1999 at 16:46:24:

Hi i am a Tomita fan, and i have most
    of his albums. Except this one.
    Can any one tell me if there is a
    internet site where i can buy it.

thanks.

Subject: Re: Where can I buy Bach Fantasy?Posted by ndkent on 27 June, 1999 at 00:21:01:

In Reply to: Where can I buy Bach Fantasy? posted by Steven Rix on 19 June, 1999 at 16:46:24:

: Hi i am a Tomita fan, and i have most
    : of his albums. Except this one.
    : Can any one tell me if there is a
    : internet site where i can buy it.

: thanks.

check the faq on this site for Bermuda Triangle, Dawn Chorus, etc. Whoever has those will have this one too.

Subject: Who is going to the concert?Posted by Steven Rix on 21 June, 1999 at 18:11:56:

Hi.
    Who is going to the concert tomorrow?
    It should be good.

I would just like to thank this web site
    because other wise i would'nt have found
    out about it.
    If you have not got tickets yet hurry!!
    because they are almost all gone!!!

See ya tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: To Phil LeggPosted by Steven Rix on 22 June, 1999 at 14:26:53:

It looks like we will be right next
    to each other, as i am on the terrace as
    well.
    I will see you there.
    bye!

Subject: So What Did You think of the concert??Posted by Steven Rix on 23 June, 1999 at 12:40:07:

I was a little disapointed that there
    was no live playing of his music,
    and also it seems that he has moved
    away from his orginal synth music.
    But at least i got to see him.

Also which was disapointing was the fact that there was no Tomita merchandise to buy.

Subject: Tomita London concert reportPosted by John Ben on 23 June, 1999 at 14:30:39:

Hi all –

Here’s a quick overview of the London performance of the "Tale of Genji" last night at the Royal Festival Hall (22/06/99).

Tomita arrived on stage at 7.30 resplendent in a white suit with gold trim to perform what was called a "Future Space Fantasy".

A voice announced that the music would be accompanied on a 48-screen video wall with the first high definition pictures of the Earth and images of
    the night sky taken from a telescope in Hawaii.

There was a six-channel speaker setup (double speakers at each location), two at the front, two at the sides, and two on stage.

The set began with "Mars" from the Planets, and the vocal countdown was matched on screen with the space shuttle launch sequence. This was
    followed by Ives’ "The Unanswered Question", Prokofiev’s "Violin Concerto No. 1 (Andantino/Allegro Moderato)" and "Scythian Suite". The
    half-an-hour set concluded with "Jupiter" and the Firebird "Finale".

Tomita’s all-digital equipment setup for the first section consisted of a Roland JP-8000, a PowerBook, a desktop computer, Roland VS-1680 digital
    studio workstation and hard disk recorder.

After the interval, the orchestra came back on followed by Tomita dressed in a tuxedo for conducting mode. The music followed the same format as
    the recent "Genji" Japanese limited release CD, followed by a five-minute encore. It was also accompanied on screen by traditional video images
    shot to complement the suite, and flower petals rained down on the performers during the final rendition of the main theme. Motokazu Shinoda (the
    synthesizer part of the orchestra!) used a Roland A-90 and some kind of oval keyboard during the "Genji" recital.

Very enjoyable, hopefully this will lead to more performances worldwide.

John and Ben.

Subject: Tomita ConcertPosted by Phil Legg on 24 June, 1999 at 01:14:28:

I agree with Steven Rix,where was the merchandise?Surely the idea
    was to promote the album so why not have it for sale at the venue?
    By the way if anyone is interested I managed to pick up quite a few
    leaflets promoting the concert.If anyone would like one please email me
    with your address.
    With regard to the Space Fantasy,bearing in mind the reasons The
    Planets was banned for many years in this country I can`t help feeling
    that Tomita `played safe`omitting many of the humanoid vocal sounds
    so apparent on the album.A very minor personal gripe on an otherwise
    superbly entertaining evening(Weren`t the LPO fantastic?!)
    Thanks again Erwin!
    Regards
    Phil

Subject: Re: Tomita ConcertPosted by Ken Terao on 26 June, 1999 at 15:22:18:

In Reply to: Tomita Concert posted by Phil Legg on 24 June, 1999 at 01:14:28:

Hi, Phil.

: By the way if anyone is interested I managed to pick up quite a few
    : leaflets promoting the concert.

Can I see it on the WWW? ...If I can. :)

Regards.

Ken,

Subject: Dangerous concertPosted by Erwin Stok on 24 June, 1999 at 21:20:07:

The concert Tomita gave at the RFH in London on the 22'nd turned out to be a dangerous one for me. Why you will ask.
    The Genji music was so beautifull that I got into some kind of Japanese trance.
    At the end of the concert when I walked down the stairs with purple/red hands (from applauding), I forgot to take the last 2 or 3 steps of the
    stairs and tumbled down between the Japanese croud.
    It turned out that they saved me from breaking my legs. Now I dont't only love Tomita's music but also his Japanese fans.
    Isao and The Royal Philharmonic, thanks for a concert I wil allways remember. Because a dream came true.
    I still hope that I will meet Ben and John sometime. Did not saw any buttons except my own. Special greetings to Phil and his Girlfriend.

Erwin

Subject: Tomita CDPosted by Dave Bassett on 28 June, 1999 at 09:20:22:

I was at the concert on Tuesday, two seats along from that lovely Japanese lady. For the fantasy part, I felt it would have been better if Tomita
    had cranked up the volume quite a bit; somtimes it was a struggle to hear certian sounds at the back of the hall.Overall though the orchestral
    piece was superb. Incidentally walking into HMV Oxford Street this Saturday (Tottenham Court Road end) they actually had a copy of Tale of Genji
    on Japanese import for £25.99, one only which of course I snapped up.

Subject: Possible radio promotionPosted by SZABO ARTHUR on 30 June, 1999 at 00:44:08:

Hi,
    My name is Arthur Szabo, I am 28 years old and beside my actiwity in education I collaborate with the local radiostation RADIO SON REGHIN where I
    run an Ambient Music show.
    I would like to guide me to obtain radioairplay rights and also with promotional materials.
    thank you for a possible understanding.
    My address is;
    ARTHUR SZABO, STR. TEILOR NO. 1
    4225-REGHIN, JUD. MURES,
    ROMANIA
    The motto of my show is;
    'LET THE MUSIC LIVE INSIDE YOU'
    Kindest regards from Reghin/ROMANIA

Subject: I am Making a WebsitePosted by Steven Rix on 30 June, 1999 at 20:00:32:

Hello all you Tomita fans out there!!!
    Over the past couple of weeks I have been building a web site dedicated to electronic music. The artists that will be include in the site are, Tomita,
    Wendy Carlos, and J J Perrey. (which are the main artists)
    I Will let you people know when my site is Online and I will give you the address.
    Thank you

Subject: Board Back In Service (NT)Posted by John on 19 July, 1999 at 13:55:39:

NT = No Text

Subject: Tomita Interview Coming SoonPosted by John on 20 July, 1999 at 09:39:05:

Hi all -

We had an interesting interview with Tomita after his concert,
    answered a number of common questions from fans so hope to
    post it in the next week or two.

Regards,

John.
    --

Subject: Possible concert in South AfricaPosted by Don Searll on 26 July, 1999 at 11:44:44:

Dear Tomita - san,

I am a tremendous fan of yours
    and am interested in proposing a concert
    for you here in South Africa.

It will be for a very important function
    with Nelson Mandela.

Please let me know if you are intersted
    and I can give you all the details.

Many thanks,

Don.

Subject: TOMITA INTERVIEW (PART ONE)Posted by John Breslin on 31 July, 1999 at 21:58:29:

The first half of the interview with Tomita-san in London is now up.

Enjoy!

John.
    --

Subject: PART TWO of the Tomita Interview is now available...Posted by John Breslin on 03 August, 1999 at 15:00:59:

...from the link below.

Enjoy!

Subject: ZATOICHI MEETS HIS EQUALPosted by John on 10 August, 1999 at 12:01:36:

Anyone ever hear of this?

ZATOICHI MEETS HIS EQUAL (Shin Zatoichi Yabure! Tojin-Ken), Isao Tomita

Subject: Re: ZATOICHI MEETS HIS EQUALPosted by Erwin on 15 August, 1999 at 22:22:56:

In Reply to: ZATOICHI MEETS HIS EQUAL posted by John on 10 August, 1999 at 12:01:36:

Never!
    What is it?

: Anyone ever hear of this?

: ZATOICHI MEETS HIS EQUAL (Shin Zatoichi Yabure! Tojin-Ken), Isao Tomita

Subject: Re: ZATOICHI MEETS HIS EQUALPosted by John on 16 August, 1999 at 08:09:06:

In Reply to: Re: ZATOICHI MEETS HIS EQUAL posted by Erwin on 15 August, 1999 at 22:22:56:

: Never!
    : What is it?

: : Anyone ever hear of this?

: : ZATOICHI MEETS HIS EQUAL (Shin Zatoichi Yabure! Tojin-Ken), Isao Tomita

Apparently a soundtrack of some sort :) Saw it when I did a search for Tomita at www.deja.com.

J.
    --

Subject: Genji too Japanese?Posted by David Bassett on 20 August, 1999 at 09:48:15:

I work for a named Music company in the UK and following the concert at the Festival Hall wrote to Pioneers' President suggesting he release the
    CD in the UK. Tomita's record producer subsequently wrote to me asking if the company would be interested in a JV/Sponsorship deal to record
    Tomita in the UK. I got our Classics division to review Genji but they turned down the offer to release the CD saying it was too Japanese for the UK
    market. At least a dozen people I have played the CD too say its wonderful and should be released. Comments anyone?

Subject: Re: Genji too Japanese?Posted by John Breslin on 01 September, 1999 at 09:39:47:

In Reply to: Genji too Japanese? posted by David Bassett on 20 August, 1999 at 09:48:15:

: I work for a named Music company in the UK and following the concert at the Festival Hall wrote to Pioneers' President suggesting he release the
    CD in the UK. Tomita's record producer subsequently wrote to me asking if the company would be interested in a JV/Sponsorship deal to record
    Tomita in the UK. I got our Classics division to review Genji but they turned down the offer to release the CD saying it was too Japanese for the UK
    market. At least a dozen people I have played the CD too say its wonderful and should be released. Comments anyone?

Sounds like they don't know how to classify it really, similiar to the story Tomita told us
    in the interview when he first went to the record producers in Japan with Snowflakes,
    they weren't sure how to classify his work.

I think it would fit nicely under classical somewhere, and surely the Tomita name should
    be enough to release Genji, even in the UK (where he has quite a large fan base after all).
    Does your company have a new age/world music (eek!) division?

John.
    --

Subject: Re: Genji too Japanese?Posted by David Bassett on 03 September, 1999 at 11:07:04:

In Reply to: Re: Genji too Japanese? posted by John Breslin on 01 September, 1999 at 09:39:47:

: : I work for a named Music company in the UK and following the concert at the Festival Hall wrote to Pioneers' President suggesting he release
    the CD in the UK. Tomita's record producer subsequently wrote to me asking if the company would be interested in a JV/Sponsorship deal to record

: Sounds like they don't know how to classify it really, similiar to the story Tomita told us
    : in the interview when he first went to the record producers in Japan with Snowflakes,
    : they weren't sure how to classify his work.

: I think it would fit nicely under classical somewhere, and surely the Tomita name should
    : be enough to release Genji, even in the UK (where he has quite a large fan base after all).
    : Does your company have a new age/world music (eek!) division?

You are right, Tomita can usually be found in HMV in the new age section along with Kitaro,Synergy,
    Suzannne Cianni and the like, but I think you would be hard pressed to say Genji was 'New Age'.
    I have found Tomita (with Kodo) under World Music Japan sections. UK music companies tend to shy away from Japanese artists and rely on
    imports from companies like Toshiba-EMI.

Subject: Re: Genji too Japanese?Posted by Erwin Stok on 21 August, 1999 at 20:20:50:

In Reply to: Genji too Japanese? posted by David Bassett on 20 August, 1999 at 09:48:15:

Too Japanese they say?
    So what.
    Should this be a reason to not bring out an album in the UK?
    There could be more reasons for this.
    for example:
    example-1) the reason for not closing the deal is the fact that Tomita has made his interpretation on The Planets by Holst ages ago and they are
    afraid to get bad publicity amoung the conservative classical music people in the UK for selling music of a composer who's arrangements differ from
    the original score's.

example-2) They don't know that there will be lots of albums sold to people outside of the UK.

example-3) You did not put a gun at the head of your boss and told him (instead of asking) to close the deal.

By the way, would you give me the adress of Tomita's record producer? I could try to close a deal between a Dutch record company and Tomita's
    producer.

Erwin.

: I work for a named Music company in the UK and following the concert at the Festival Hall wrote to Pioneers' President suggesting he release the

Subject: MP3.COM, good for something?Posted by John Breslin on 24 August, 1999 at 14:30:13:

Hi all -

I tried searching for Tomita-inspired new artists on MP3.COM, and
    came up with some good stuff actually. Apart from our own friend
    Lance Lenehan, there's a number of artists inspired by Tomita
    including Captain Kirk, Sidewind and AV911.

Anyone else try that site?

J.
    --

Subject: Re: MP3.COM, good for something?Posted by David Bassett on 26 August, 1999 at 06:06:48:

In Reply to: MP3.COM, good for something? posted by John Breslin on 24 August, 1999 at 14:30:13:

: Hi all -

: I tried searching for Tomita-inspired new artists on MP3.COM, and
    : came up with some good stuff actually. Apart from our own friend
    : Lance Lenehan, there's a number of artists inspired by Tomita
    : including Captain Kirk, Sidewind and AV911.

: Anyone else try that site?

Yes I have. Listen also to Scott Free's Bach English Suite. Absolutely superb!

Subject: Re: MP3.COM, good for something?Posted by John on 26 August, 1999 at 12:46:41:

In Reply to: Re: MP3.COM, good for something? posted by David Bassett on 26 August, 1999 at 06:06:48:

: Yes I have. Listen also to Scott Free's Bach English Suite. Absolutely superb!

Cool! Downloading now... How did you come across that one? I only found 9 artists in my Tomita search, and Scott Free wasn't one of them...

Subject: Re: MP3.COM, good for something?Posted by David Bassett on 26 August, 1999 at 14:42:22:

In Reply to: Re: MP3.COM, good for something? posted by John on 26 August, 1999 at 12:46:41:

: : Yes I have. Listen also to Scott Free's Bach English Suite. Absolutely superb!

: Cool! Downloading now... How did you come across that one? I only found 9 artists in my Tomita search, and Scott Free wasn't one of them...

Not sure. I just searched the different genres especially Symphonic/Electronica and Classical/Electronic. If you like more rock-orientated sythesizer
    a la Synergy, try Galbatron.

Subject: Off Topic - PopcornPosted by John Breslin on 24 August, 1999 at 14:32:12:

Found this great site today for fans of the 70's electronic hit :)

http://www.cam.org/~lafranc/popcorn.html

J.
    --

Subject: another cd sourcePosted by Charles on 25 August, 1999 at 19:02:05:

Hi...Great website! While hunting for some of the Japanese releases I was
    led to www.wmimusic.com in Canada...for all you U.S. Tomita fans they carry a lot of the titles
    like Bermuda Triangle, Dawn Chorus etc. I am looking for BACH FANTASY
    if anyone out there would like to help with a source or even burn me a cdr in trade? Thanks.
    Charles Thaxton charel196 at yahoo.com

Subject: Re: another cd sourcePosted by David Bassett on 26 August, 1999 at 06:11:04:

In Reply to: another cd source posted by Charles on 25 August, 1999 at 19:02:05:

: Hi...Great website! While hunting for some of the Japanese releases I was
    : led to www.wmimusic.com in Canada...for all you U.S. Tomita fans they carry a lot of the titles
    : like Bermuda Triangle, Dawn Chorus etc. I am looking for BACH FANTASY
    : if anyone out there would like to help with a source or even burn me a cdr in trade? Thanks.
    : Charles Thaxton charel196 at yahoo.com

I recently got a copy from Mundo in Japan for US$36. Look in the Links for the web site.

Subject: ATTN. ERWINPosted by John on 30 August, 1999 at 09:19:42:

Hi Erwin - having trouble mailing you but in answer to your questions...

> [Sydney Sound Cloud] concert was being broadcasted in Japan.
    > If this was the case there would be someone in Japan who taped
    > this. Right? Do you think whe could find someone who has a
    > videotape of this?

Haven't heard of anyone having a copy of this and I have a few
    Tomita fan friends in Japan...

> Did Tomita speak English at the interview you and Ben had
    > with him on the 22'th of june?

No, it was all interpreted.

> Tomita said: 'I am planning to do more concerts of the Tale
    > of Genji, maybe in a month or so I will know more clearly where
    > these will be held. One approach is from the Vienna Orchestra,
    > who will celebrate their 100th anniversary next year, and the
    > program committee has asked me to perform the Tale of Genji
    > as part of the celebrations, this is still being negotiated.' Do
    > you have sources that tell you when there whill be a performance
    > by Tomita?

Nope :) I must keep an eye on the Ars Electronica page now!

All the best,

John.
    --

Subject: Re: ATTN. ERWINPosted by David Bassett on 31 August, 1999 at 12:43:20:

In Reply to: ATTN. ERWIN posted by John on 30 August, 1999 at 09:19:42:

: Hi Erwin - having trouble mailing you but in answer to your questions...

: > [Sydney Sound Cloud] concert was being broadcasted in Japan.
    : > If this was the case there would be someone in Japan who taped
    : > this. Right? Do you think whe could find someone who has a
    : > videotape of this?

: Haven't heard of anyone having a copy of this and I have a few
    : Tomita fan friends in Japan...

: > Did Tomita speak English at the interview you and Ben had
    : > with him on the 22'th of june?

: No, it was all interpreted.

: > Tomita said: 'I am planning to do more concerts of the Tale
    : > of Genji, maybe in a month or so I will know more clearly where
    : > these will be held. One approach is from the Vienna Orchestra,
    : > who will celebrate their 100th anniversary next year, and the
    : > program committee has asked me to perform the Tale of Genji
    : > as part of the celebrations, this is still being negotiated.' Do
    : > you have sources that tell you when there whill be a performance
    : > by Tomita?

: Nope :) I must keep an eye on the Ars Electronica page now!

: All the best,

Erwin, in case you didn't get my E-Mail Tomita's record producer can be found at ralfo at axion.net and the great man himself on
    plasma at pp.iij4u.or.jp.

Subject: Isao Tomita's Sound CreaturePosted by Eric Vaubel on 17 September, 1999 at 17:39:44:

Does anyone know of an available copy of Tomita's album "Sound Creature"? It's the last one I need to finish my collection. I have tried without
    avail to purchase one. Will it ever be released on CD?

Subject: Re: Isao Tomita's Sound CreaturePosted by John Breslin on 19 September, 1999 at 13:37:05:

In Reply to: Isao Tomita's Sound Creature posted by Eric Vaubel on 17 September, 1999 at 17:39:44:

: Does anyone know of an available copy of Tomita's album "Sound Creature"? It's the last one I need to finish my collection. I have tried without
    avail to purchase one. Will it ever be released on CD?

I think it is unlikely that it will be released on CD.

John.
    --
    >From the Tomita interview (http://listen.to/tomita/ under "Interviews")...

[JB] Is there a possibility that Sound Creature will be released on CD or DVD?

[IT] There are no plans to release it on CD because most young musicians are using digital, this was very analogue related!

[BW] There was also a booklet included with the Sound Creature LP from RCA in which you went into great detail on analogue synthesizers,
    Quadraphonic and "Biphonic" sounds…

[IT] Do you think there are certain people interested in this technology or these techniques for analogue synthesizers?

[BW] Definitely, yes.

[IT] I expect that if this material was to be redistributed, it would not be on CD as the market for this would be too small. If people
    want to get information, they do it through the net. I would be interested in distributing all this information about the old days through
    the net, because the people who really appreciate this kind of technology are probably among those who subscribe to the net.

The CD market ranges from people who have no technology concerns up to computer "freaks"! For those who want to understand the
    technology, the target market might be through the net.

Subject: Concert of TalePosted by Erwin Stok on 03 October, 1999 at 13:58:06:

will Tomita re-record the Tale of Genji with the London Philharmonic Orchestra this October for CD/DVD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.