Psychology Welcome to the Psychology Forum - This is not a Medical Advice forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cloud, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all -

I'm glad this board is available for members who want to talk about psychological issues, but we are NOT licensed to give ANYONE medical advice and with the number of fakers on the Internet, you should not take any medical advice on this board without checking with your personal doctor first.

If you have a specific medical question like "X is wrong with me, what should I do" then take it to a doctor or free medical advice clinic. If you want to ask "I have X wrong with me, anyone else share this?" to find people who might be having the same problem as you, that's fine.

Please please please do NOT GIVE medical advice out on these boards, no matter how well intentioned you could cause a lot of trouble.

Thanks,

John.
    --

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

If you are having a problem, you might also want to try talking to a social worker at work, or at school. She or he can help you through your struggle, or possibly refer you to a place that will.

Now, for an intro to the forum:

Psychology deals with the behaviours and mental processes of organisms. It is based on empirical evidence, through research studies that go through extensive analysis to see if they are true or not. Psych includes emotions, culture, intelligence, memory, perception, personality, mental states (such as stress, and effects of drugs), dreams, relationships, development through life, and so on.

There is a bit of confusion between psychology and what is called psychobabble. Psychobabble are things that use psychological terminology but do not have valid evidence backing them up. Such as psychics, ESP, the "birthing method" to create a new start for people, and so on. If you want to discuss these types of things you are encouraged to, but keep in mind that they have yet to be proven.

Some basic forum rules are to
    -Respect one another. (no flaming or flamebait, swearing, etc.)
    -Try to make your posts readable (read it out loud before submitting perhaps).
    -We're interested in your opinions and thoughts on different topics, so try to give reasonably long explanations of them - at least a paragraph. Quoting a person and only saying things like "I agree" is spam.
    -Sexuality is a part of psychology, but try not to be obscene about it since younger audiences could be reading.

Have fun on here, minna san! :cool:

1 person likes this.
  3. ipodfansmail

ipodfansmail New Member

reply2

Cool post,I like your information

4. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

Psychology and Porcelain

Oooh~! I never knew that Porcelain can be psychologically stimulating :glazed: