Computers What is the best?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Project191, Nov 9, 2003.

1. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Hyper Threading emulates 2 CPUs or you got 2 Actual CPUs that's why XP PRO is NEEDED in HT enabled PCs...
    other than that Home is just fine

2. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

Good information, thanks.

So if Intel Pentium it goes for PRO. (for Games)

and if Intel celeron goes for Home Edtion. (for Games)

3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

my god... Pentium 4 HT emulates 2 CPUs due to HT... Hyper Threading which takes 2 threads or processes at the same time, to do that the OS (Operating System) have to think it has 2 CPUs...
    Home supports 1 CPU, while XP supports 2 CPUs

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Moreover, the Pentium line is Intel's premium brand of processors. High performance for a high price. That's especially true with the HT (Hyper Threading) and 64-bit processors.

Celeron is pretty much a "budget" processor. You get performance, but not anywhere NEAR a pentium.

Personally speaking, just stay the heck away from Celeron. They run hot, and I really don't like its perfomance. It feels slow, even at comparable speeds.

If you're looking out for a new processor, check out Pentium IIIs. I mean, I use one and I'm totally happy with it. Granted, it's not a Pentium IV (with HT), but it does the job.

Another processor line to look at is the AMD Athlon XP processors. Supposedly right up there with Pentium chipsets in terms of speed and performance.

But then, in either case, if you're getting a new processor...you're probably going to have to get a new motherboard. That said, you can upgrade that video card of yours to something that can better handle current games.

5. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

I mean, for gaming, get a AMD Athlon XP processor. And basically XP does the job, no matter if it's Home or Pro. The difference is in the network system (From what I've heard)

Getting a P4 is good, but an AMD can kick the P4s butt when we turn into gaming...

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

am I not being heard 0_o?

P4 HT = 2 CPUS || Windows XP Pro supports 2 CPUs

All other CPUs (including NON-HT P4s = 1 CPU || Windows XP Home

networking differences verges only on laptops....

Pro has over Home, some encriptions algorithms, but that' about it. OH XP Pro Supports 2, TWO, II CPUs

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

But what exactly is the point? I was using Professional until I reformatted, and it worked perfectly fine on my computer...

You can USE a PIV HT with XP Pro, but you don't HAVE to.

8. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

I went to formatt my Computer, i wanted to formatted it to Xp Home Edtion but they don't have, then i told them to Xp PRO, is there too much diffrents between Xp and Home Edton for gaming in Intel Celeron.

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

As J2X said, Pro has some extra features that take advantage of dual-processors. Other than that, it's very close to what Home Edition is. So is Pro is all you can get, by all means take it. :)

10. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Windows Server 2003 is the best OS for games (in my experience). 98 SE always gave me better framerates than XP, but 2003 gives me even better framerates than 98 SE. Add to this its incredible stability and you have a winner.

There is a free 180 day trial downloadable from Microsoft.com. Evil hackers are rumoured to have a way to disable the 180 day limit.

Oh, and don't touch ME with a 10 foot pole or anything else.

11. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

2003 rockz0r.. happy user here... in XP i used to get 300~400 in pings, with the firewall that jumped to 450~600

now in 2003 with no firewall i 200~260
    gottause the DCOMbobulator...
    so don't have to worry about no stupid MSBlast.exe
    56K here ^^

12. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

I heard that Pro is better for networking than home... other than that it isn't majorly differnet.

^Shen^