Computers What is your average CPU temp?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by That guy!, Jun 30, 2004.

1. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Oops.. I accidentally pressed enter on the last one half-way but then I deleted it xD

I got sick of my old case because it wasn't enough to cool my AMD Athlon XP 2600+, so I recently got a new computer case and installed 3 fans in it. Two in the back blowing air out and one in the front sucking air in. My temperature is still idleing at 52 degrees celcius.. But, I think this is average for Athlons.

What is your CPU temperature, and what CPU are you using?

If you don't want to check in your bios to find this out, use Speedfan.

2. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Abit NF7-S 2.0
    AthlonXP Barton
    32~42c Idle 49~52c load
    Arctic Silver 5 and a Thermaltake Volcano 12+
    at just 3300rpms
    ambient is like 28~40c depends on the day

3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

meh, even lower than what I though
    [​IMG]

4. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

32 to 42? that's quite a wide range for idle :D Is that your range from when you start up until you get to max idle, or is that all dependent on the ambient temp? I know mine is affected by the ambient temp.. I opened the window one day when it was snowing and it got pretty cold. Conversely, pack 10 people in the room to watch a movie and my temp goes up about 6 degrees. Also cracks me up how your GPU is hotter than the CPU lol

Anyway, I idle at about 39 and load at 44. So says speedfan in windows anyway.. lm-sensors in linux report about 3 degrees higher ?? Speedfan is closer to what my BIOS says, so who knows.

Athlon 1.4 ghz here. Two case fans on the bottom blowing in, power supply fan blowing out, and the radiator fan blowing out. That last one is the fan responsible for almost all my cooling of course, as it cools down the water running through my water cooling loop.

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

well when your ambient temp varies so much from 28~40c you can't expect the same idle temp with a normal heatsink

6. MamiyaOtaru

With an ambient temp of 40 degrees, I'm amazed you can keep your CPU cool at all. I would melt, never mind my computer.

7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I didn't know I was in so much crap. I have three fans going. but it looks like two don't seem to be doing anything? even thouigh I see at least two running when I see my case. weird?? what's up with the cpu usage and everything? it says less than 5% there but now it jumps from 9.5 to 17% even?

I'm at 54 right now~ :anger2:

Attached Files:

8. MamiyaOtaru

54 isn't terrible. I wouldn't worry about the fans either. Only fans wired to a sensor will show up there. If you have fans that are only connected to a power source, speedfan has no way of tracking them, that's probably all that is. I currently have no fans that speedfan could see, though there are 4 in the case.

CPU usage: well, it goes up when you do stuff. If it was 0, your computer might as well be off. 17 percent is a bit weird if you are doing nothing, but you are looking at speedfan, moving a mouse, perhaps opening paint to paste in your screenshot, ont he internet, downloading files, who knows. If you really are doing nothing and have nothing running in the background (that you know of) then 17 percent might be worrisome, but fluctuations in CPU usage are not serious.

temperatures: sj2x and I are kinda bragging about our cooling systems, but 54 is perfectly fine.

9. That guy!

Mine is around that temp too. I guess we should worry more about keeping it extremely cool if we were to overclock our computers. I personally don't have the means to install water cooling at the moment either XD I'm surprised that my temperature is still high though, considering I installed a Thermaltake Silent Boost and used Arctic Silver. It went up about 10 degrees when I put it in the new case too. o_O It could be possible that I'm just getting funny readings.

10. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

hmm it seems I have become more enlightened on the subject.. since my fiancé said he was having 'fun' installing all the parts into my computer case when upgrading.. I never bothered paying attention. I guess I can't do this anymore. Since I live with my system. Quite possibly I never bought a new CPU fan when I tremendously upgraded my motherboard. Wasn't that stupid? It's probably using the same fan my computer had when the damn thing was a 300MHZ!!! Maybe it isn't good upgrading and keeping and retaining some older junk. I thought the only thing remaining from my 5 year old computer was the floppy. Which works like a dream. sigh... WELL I'll find out for sure when I ask the one who fooled around with my computer. He's in big trouble! :p

ieven if that'
    s not the case^ I'l still buy a new cpu fan and arctic silver inbetween the cpu and heatsink thanks Saber for your help on msn ^^

11. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

I have a question if you don't mind?... :sweat:

Does the cpu temp effect the computer performance...

specailly when the cpu temp get higher.. :sweat:

12. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually the "cpu fan" that it has right now IS NOT the one it had when it was 300Mhz, many many many things changed since then and it wouldn't possibly be compatible.

and yea a cpu fan and arctic silver are gonna make 3 worlds of difference

13. That guy!

It didn't help me very much ;_; And Sera, we are in the same house and it's possible that our lack of air conditioning at the moment is a huge factor. I also have some extra Arctic Silver that you can use. I don't understand, though.. I did follow the directions on how to put Arctic Silver on.

What type of CPU fan do you have on there now? It looked like a stock fan to me.. maybe you can take a picture so Saber can see.

14. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

sorry MO didnt see your post to me. Thanks. My Computer hasnt shut down or anythign and ya 54 may be fine. but it may run better if cooler? and lack of AC shouldn't really matter... I got other computer problems now anyways.. sigh

15. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

in the Pentium 4s yes...

16. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

no, in AMD 2600+

17. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Usually run at around 37 degrees. No extra cooling or fans...just the standard gel.

Attached Files:

18. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

P4 eh? yea P4 runs cooler at idle always, lower Voltage
    when at load, the Mhz catch up big time

19. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

Acutally I didn't understand what did you said, both of you -.-

I am using AMD 2600+ and now when I eject the cd from the cd-rom the cd is little hot ...but from before when I eject the cd the cd is cold...

20. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

that the CD rom drive.. not the CPU...