Computers Whats wrong with my explorer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kain, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

OK, so i got broadband about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine, however now theres seems to be something wrong with my internet explorer and its annoying the hell out of me.
    When ever i'm on the net, after a certain amount of time i get a message saying "Microsoft Internet Exploerer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience", i'm then left with the option of sending or not sending a report to Microsoft, however no matter which option i choose the explorer has to go back to my home page. If i ignore it then another box soon appears saying that theres an error and shuts down explorer anyway.
    Also, for some reason when ever i'm moving from one page to another i sometimes get a message saying that explorer can't open the page and then goes off to some other page about liverpool university (don't ask me why). Most of the time i can get to the page if i press the back button, but sometimes it still won't open the page.

Could this be anything to do with the broadband or is it some sort of spyware? I don't think it's a virus cause i've already scanned for one and it's turned up empty (and the anit-virus program is fully updated).
    Any help would be really appreceated, cause i really don't know that much on how programs work.

2. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

first of all, download Adaware6.0 run it, update it, scan your PC, reboot, and see if it gets better, if not, report back here

3. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

WOW, this is brilliant. Everythings back to the way it should be :D :D :D.

Thanks SaberJ2X, i really owe you one, REALLY.

4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

no problem, here to help

5. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

It's made by Microsoft :D

OK, that in and of itself isn't necessarily bad. However Internet Explorer is a big pile of old code. It hasn't undergone any rewrites like Mozilla or Opera, it's just sort of been growing for years and years. The problem with it is that it was started back before security was really a concern, and has legacy code from those days. Worse, it hasn't really been updated or worked on for a couple years. Stopgap patches come out now and then, but the browser itself remains stagnant.

Microsoft announced a while ago that the next version would come out with Longhorn, and that you would need to get Longhorn to get it, but they have since realized how dumb it is to let the browser sit still and have started working on it again, though I don't think we can expect anything anytime soon.

Internet Explorer is an appealing target due to it's pourous nature, and the fact that everyone and his brother runs it. Ad-aware or Spybot Search and Destroy can help, as can tighter security restrictions, but the best way to avoid the junk out there is to use a browser Like Mozilla Firefox or Opera (my favourite)

I'm glad you got your browser back to normal, but with IE, you never know when it will happen again :confused:

6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Just Opera or Mozilla. I prefer Opera more than the buggy-twisted mind of IE.

Goe Opera!

7. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Thanks MamiyaOtaru, i'll have to take a look into these things. Like i said i don't know much about how these things work and i would be fearful that if i try to install something new it could cause the whole computer to go nuts, why? cause it's me that installed it :D.
    But at least my browser's back so i can spam the hell out of theses boards again ;).

8. MamiyaOtaru

And we're glad to have you back :D

The latest in the sad story of IE: Microsoft says to cripple IE to protect your PC. ZOMG.. Microsoft is advising people to disable javascript in IE. Maybe they should just advise us to stop browsing with IE. :D

At least they are advising to disable activeX as well. No one would miss that. Except people who try to use windows update haha. Sure you can work around it, but what newb wants to learn about adding sites to his Trusted Sites?

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

that and ActiveX crap

10. MamiyaOtaru

Which I talked about in the third paragraph :) You are serving to reinforce my notion that people never read more than two LOL

As such, I'll try to limit myself to one more.. "latest" isn't quite true.. they said that back in October. Still applies though. If we were following their advice we'd have been living without Javascript for almost a year. not that I'd miss it too much, but a lot of sites would be borked.